Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bassist trying to learn finger technique

Options
  • 01-08-2010 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I started playing a bass guitar about 6 months ago and for all that period I was using a pick.

I kinda regret this now as I've heard it should really be fingers > pick. I'm kinda half have the technique .ie alternating the index and middle finger and resting your thumb on the pick-up etc.

I can do it well on a single string like the E but for some songs that I can do flawlessly with a pick, I can't do it at all using only my fingers. Basically doing something like a few notes on the E, maybe one or two one the A and switching back really quickly to the E again.

I know about moving the thumb down on to another string to mute it to stop myself making any excess sound but I'm just not fast enough.

Any tips? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I wouldn't say it's as straightforward as "fingers are better than a pick". Do whatever works for you. When I started playing bass I used a pick and I still use a pick on occasion when I'm playing a song that's too fast for me to play with my fingers.

As regards the finger style technique, you shouldn't simply rest your thumb on the pickup as you end up having to reach more for notes on the G and D strings. You can get away with it on a 4 string bass but if you go to 5 or more, you're going to have to change your technique.

I can't find the particular video I'm thinking of but this one should give you an idea of proper right-hand positioning:

For string muting, try something like the floating thumb technique. Here's one example:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭Rigsby

There is nothing wrong with using a pick. As Malice says, do what you are comfortable with, and whatever suits the music. One of the most recorded session bassists, Carol Kaye has always used a pick. Check out her site www.carolkaye.com for good (and physically safe ) technique with a pick. Browse through the "Education" ("tips on playing" ) section, I think it's there.

Having said all this, the ideal thing is to be good with both pick and fingers. The more tools at your disposal the better. I would recommend the "Floating Thumb" as posted by Malice. IMO it's not a good idea to rest the thumb on the p/up, for reasons explained in the F/T clip. Not only is your wrist straight, thus avoiding physical problems later on, but your thumb mutes the strings not being played.

As for speed, that comes with practice. Ironically, the best way to play fast is to start slowly and gradually build up the speed. This goes for all exercises to do with the bass. Set a metronome to a comfortable tempo and alternate middle and index fingers for five to ten minutes. If you are sure you have this nailed, then up a tempo by about 5 to 10 BPM.

An off topic tip worth mentioning : Make sure you warm up and down with gentle stretching for a few minutes before each practice session.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭Flecktarn

Thanks a million guys, your a great help. :)

Hey guys just one question, I having difficult what to do when I need to changing string fast and then change back quickly again.

An example here is a song called ''Milk'' by Kings of Leon.

At one stage it does something like this:

A--5---7---7-5---5-|
    E--5-7---7--

I find this very hard to do fast and trying to mute the other strings? Should I just do this with a pick?

Flecktarn wrote: »
    Hey guys just one question, I having difficult what to do when I need to changing string fast and then change back quickly again.

An example here is a song called ''Milk'' by Kings of Leon.

At one stage it does something like this:

A--5---7---7-5---5-|
    E--5-7---7--

I find this very hard to do fast and trying to mute the other strings? Should I just do this with a pick?

Rigsby wrote: »
    As for speed, that comes with practice. Ironically, the best way to play fast is to start slowly and gradually build up the speed. This goes for all exercises to do with the bass.

;)

• Advertisement

;)

Ah, you see me thinking just because I can do it with a pick I think I can automatically do it with my fingers! :)

Cheers man!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

It'll take some time to build up speed and stamina but you'll eventually get there. Just gradually work in the fingerstyle, in the meantime continue playing with a pick. A good book for exercises that will help is one called Bass Fitness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

im not an expert ,
    but

one tip i was given which worked very well for me was to always warm up for 15 minutoes on a second bass- cheap one will do , but all tuned up a full tone ( to f# )

this also works on guitars.

it builds up more strength , more range of dynamic , and harder finger tips .

your fingers will fly when you go back to the normal tuned bass.

give it a try and you should be pleasntly suprised.

As for speed, that comes with practice. Ironically, the best way to play fast is to start slowly and gradually build up the speed. This goes for all exercises to do with the bass.

Sorry Rigdby could you give me some tablature on what I should be practising?
    Dord wrote: »
    It'll take some time to build up speed and stamina but you'll eventually get there. Just gradually work in the fingerstyle, in the meantime continue playing with a pick. A good book for exercises that will help is one called Bass Fitness.

So just practice the fingers every so often but use the pick as well?
    DaDumTish wrote: »
    im not an expert ,
    but

one tip i was given which worked very well for me was to always warm up for 15 minutoes on a second bass- cheap one will do , but all tuned up a full tone ( to f# )

this also works on guitars.

it builds up more strength , more range of dynamic , and harder finger tips .

your fingers will fly when you go back to the normal tuned bass.

give it a try and you should be pleasntly suprised.

I don't have a second bass though unfortunately!

Sorry Rigsby could you give me some tablature on what I should be practising?

Try not to become too dependent on tabs. They are ok up to a point, but often they are incorrect. Besides, they dont give you the tempo or rhythm. They are merely note positions on the fret board. Better to develop your ear by listening closely to songs. Try to figure out the bass lines yourself, then try playing along.

As for exercises, I'd advise practicing chords within a scale. For example in the C scale you'd have C Maj. (1,3,5, or CEG), then Dmin. (1,b3,5, DFA). Go through the scale this way. Then come back down. When you have nailed that, go up on one chord and down on the next. For example C Maj = 1,3,5 then play the Dmin as 5,b3,1 etc If this is all double Dutch to you, then check out the site link below. It is vital to know your chords and how they are made up.

These kind of exercises will develop your musical ear ten times better than tabs.

A great allround website for bass is www.studybass.com My advice is to go through it gradually from the start. Be patient with yourself, practice slowly 'till you have it down, ( use pick or fingers, that's your call) and above all, make sure it is fun :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

So just practice the fingers every so often but use the pick as well?

Exactly!

You can also try playing some easy songs. I think a good one would be Just Like Heaven by The Cure. A lot of it is about feel, so it's a good place to begin IMO. It's in the key of A major. If you're really stuck you can find tab online. :)

Advertisement