Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Proposed Ground Zero Mosque and the ADL

• 01-08-2010 2:38pm
    Site Banned Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭

I was interested in a non-political Moslem perspective on the proposed ground zero mosque...

Personally I think it a postive move towards reconcilitian and inter-community tolerance.

I was appauled but not shocked by the ADL's response
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Proponents of the Islamic Center may have every right to build at this site, and may even have chosen the site to send a positive message about Islam. The bigotry some have expressed in attacking them is unfair, and wrong. But ultimately this is not a question of rights, but a question of what is right. In our judgment, building an Islamic Center in the shadow of the World Trade Center will cause some victims more pain – unnecessarily – and that is not right. [/FONT]
    http://www.adl.org/PresRele/CvlRt_32/5820_32.htm

I think they are fanning the flames of pre-existening Islamaphobic tendencies propogated by the media, right-wing interest groups, academia etc.

I think this from the Economist captures my thoughts on the subject:
    IN LIGHT of the Anti-Defamation League's recent statement opposing the construction of an Islamic centre near Ground Zero, they ought to no longer claim that their organisation fights "all forms of bigotry, defends democratic ideals and supports civil rights for all." More accurate would be saying that the ADL fights some forms of bigotry, defends democratic ideals except when it comes to Muslim Americans exercising their right to worship, and supports civil rights for all except when such support would bother some people.

Read that statement and tell me if you've ever seen anything so lily-livered and equivocating. Note to Abe Foxman: you cannot "categorically reject appeals to bigotry" and then back precisely the outcome those bigots back. You are in essence saying you agree with the bigots but just wish they would be a little nicer about it. You are in essence saying that the right to worship and assemble peaceably should be curbed when exercising those rights might run counter to "strong passions" and "keen sensitivities". You are in essence saying that grievance trumps first-amendment protections. This is a position unworthy of an organisation that claims to defend civil rights.
    http://www.economist.com/blogs/democracyinamerica/2010/07/religion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭hivizman

According to this article in the on-line Huffington Post, the so-called "Ground Zero Mosque" isn't a Mosque and isn't at Ground Zero. Apparently, the proposal is for an Islamic Centre incorporating a prayer room, and it will be located two blocks north of the northern edge of the World Trade Center site, and away from the direct route from the nearest subway station to the site.

Incidentally, Imam Muslim reports a hadith (on the authority of Ibrahim b. Yazid al-Tayml - Book 4, Chapter 44, No. 1057), that quotes Muhammad as saying: "The earth is a mosque for you, so wherever you are at the time of prayer, pray there."

By the way, I'm not absolutely sure whether this topic falls within the forum charter, point 1 of which reads: "The forum is for the discussion of the islamic religon only. All topics off this should be in their respective forums (eg. Humanities/Politics/Languages). You are allowed questions which may be deemed off topic but only in relation to the religon." Perhaps this thread should be in the US Politics forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

hivizman wrote: »
    Perhaps this thread should be in the US Politics forum.
    There's already a thread on the topic there (just FYI).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭hivizman

sceptre wrote: »
    There's already a thread on the topic there (just FYI).

Thanks for the notice. I see that my co-mod irishconvert and some other regulars here have posted in the thread on the US Politics forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭irishconvert

hivizman wrote: »
    Thanks for the notice. I see that my co-mod irishconvert and some other regulars here have posted in the thread on the US Politics forum.

Link to the thread here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

The ADL being hypocritical. I am shock, truly shocked ;).

The ADL have shown there true colours with this press release. Far from combating prejudice, they are now coming up with excuses for it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement