Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo lead the pack again.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Meh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Helix wrote: »
    Meh

Apparantly so.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

While I like what Ninty are trying to achieve with the 3DS, but I've pretty much lost hope on them in recent years. Too much emphasis on making games for the casual gamer and not enough on the people who kept them afloat in the N64 and Gamecube eras...

Plus we all seem to be forgetting the virtual boy a little too quickly!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

they're focusing on what will make them money as any responsible company would, hardcore gamers might have kept them afloat during their gamecube/n64 years but their focus on casual gamers is what has made them very successfull in recent years.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,438 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Nintendo have published far more hardcore appealing games this generation than they did on the N64 and Gamecube just people don't realise this. The 3DS is a system I'll be preordering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

tman wrote: »
    While I like what Ninty are trying to achieve with the 3DS, but I've pretty much lost hope on them in recent years. Too much emphasis on making games for the casual gamer and not enough on the people who kept them afloat in the N64 and Gamecube eras...

Plus we all seem to be forgetting the virtual boy a little too quickly!

Ninty? seriously? What do you call the rest; Microy, Son...y?

Tbh I think this is a very good move by Nintendo, the glasses is the main thing I think is stupid about 3D films/tv and the reason I hope it (in that form) disappears very quickly. But to add 3D without glasses and in games where it could be used to much greater effect then some gimmick about blue aliens is genius.
    Got to give Nintendo credit where credit is due, they know 3D is still riding high after the success of films like Avatar so to be the first out with a 3D console could work wonders.
    Ofcourse; like you said, it could be shíte. An idea that was just ahead of the technology of the time, similar to a certain virtual boy you mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Nintendo have published far more hardcore appealing games this generation than they did on the N64 and Gamecube just people don't realise this. The 3DS is a system I'll be preordering.

Definetly preordering!!!

and the gameboy sold 80+ million units and the gameboy advanced sold ~81 million units, i say that help support their gamecube/N64.

Besides the N64 and gamecube didn't do that badly.... the gamecube was pretty much on par with the xbox and N64 sold like ~30 million units which isn't exactly bad....

As for hardcore games... it's hard to tell what exactly is a hard core game on the wii tbh, things have been dumbed down to compensate for the controller and the worse hardware in comparison to the other consoles doesn't exactly make any hardcore gamer want to go out and buy a wii...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,438 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There'sstill plenty of games on the Wii well worth playing and as good as anything on the PS3 and 360. I'm not getting into that argument again but if you don't have a Wii you are missing out on some excellent games.

I'll be ordering the 3DS since I'd put money on it being the biggest selling console launch ever after the success of the DS and it's pretty much gauranteed a strong software line up due to the software support it will be getting.

There'sstill plenty of games on the Wii well worth playing and as good as anything on the PS3 and 360. I'm not getting into that argument again but if you don't have a Wii you are missing out on some excellent games.

I'll be ordering the 3DS since I'd put money on it being the biggest selling console launch ever after the success of the DS and it's pretty much gauranteed a strong software line up due to the software support it will be getting.

I own all three (was the only person to wait overnight at the local game store at launch for the wii)

I'm not saying the wii doesn't have games worth playing, but out of the three i'm more inclinded to go for the 360 or the ps3 (or the PC) more so then the wii. It's more of a group thing and i don't mean to provoke or get this off topic so i'll stop and read some of your previous arguements on the matter and leave it there.

Either way to get back on topic, the 3DS is definetly the way to go, have put off getting a DS since i heard about the 3DS. Also really want to play pokemon again and relive the old pokemon blue days :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Ri_Nollaig wrote: »

Consider it my last fleeting bit of fondness for a company who defined gaming for me throughout my childhood, something that Sony or MS never did (and besides that, their names don't even need shortening...)

• Advertisement

reunion wrote: »
    I'm not saying the wii doesn't have games worth playing, but out of the three i'm more inclinded to go for the 360 or the ps3 (or the PC) more so then the wii.

I agree with this but I'm just saying the Wii isn't totally worthless like some people make it out to be. I couldlist a whole heap of games that are well worth playing on the Wii but the thing is most people wouldn't even know these games existed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,037 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I agree with this but I'm just saying the Wii isn't totally worthless like some people make it out to be. I couldlist a whole heap of games that are well worth playing on the Wii but the thing is most people wouldn't even know these games existed.

Not totally worthless, but after Natal and Move come out will there be any need for somebody to own another console and a Wii? I'm not so sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Ri_Nollaig wrote: »

(AFAIK) GamesMaster coined/used the abbreviation about 15 years ago; it's just easier and more informal to say than Nintendo.

"MS" and "Sony" are much less fun to say :pac::pac:

L'prof wrote: »
    Not totally worthless, but after Natal and Move come out will there be any need for somebody to own another console and a Wii? I'm not so sure.

Still plenty of games on the system that are exclusive and worth playing and more to come, that's all that matters. It's not just wii sports and wii fit on the Wii. Also MS and Sony I feel missed the boat with motion controls. I've a feeling natal and move won't be selling very well at all. The motion control controllers should be packaged with the console from the start otherwise it just serves to divide the audience. A diided audience means less sales which scares away developers and big budget games. There'll just be shovelware on those peripherals except from first party devs.

Still plenty of games on the system that are exclusive and worth playing and more to come, that's all that matters. It's not just wii sports and wii fit on the Wii. Also MS and Sony I feel missed the boat with motion controls. I've a feeling natal and move won't be selling very well at all. The motion control controllers should be packaged with the console from the start otherwise it just serves to divide the audience. A diided audience means less sales which scares away developers and big budget games. There'll just be shovelware on those peripherals except from first party devs.

Natal and move definetly won't sell as much, many people have wii's, why buy natal or move for another ~€150 (more if you don't have the consoles) when the wii is the same (and is cheaper(well actually i dunno i just presume it is cheaper as you can buy it second hand etc...).

Also i agree since they aren't packaged with all consoles, why will i pay another €150 for a controller to make my console the same as a wii? I didn't get the ps3/360 to be like a wii.... Also as a developer, everybody who has a 360/ps3 has a normal controller, why bother taking full advantage of the motion control?

I can see alot of wii games that have sold well being ported over to the 360/ps3, can't really see an amazing halo style game being exclusively natal based....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,463 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

i just didn't get into the Wii at all and it now resides in its box in the wardrobe
    I just prefer the KBaM of a PC and the controller of a PS3, so won't be buying any add-ons for my ps3

Advertisement