Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shops / shopping centres

Options
  • 01-08-2010 4:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭

I am from galway and will be going to college in cork in september. Can't wait. I will be going down sometime to view accommodation and bringing the cv with me and dropping it into anywhere and everywhere for part time work.

Now i dont know where il start. Im very interested in working in a shop for some reason. So i would like to know where do i find dunnes, tescos, super valu, aldi, lidl and the like around town?

Are there any 24 hour shops? I think then i could get alot of hours working weekends and evenings.

I do have a map of the city which i hope will make things a bit easier for me, so the street name of the shop is on will do. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 redrobyn

24 hour tesco in wilton, close to most campus accom, would try there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Sorry pal but the chances of ya getting a job down here are about a million to one, my brother has been outta work for almost a year, he's handed C.V.s to nearly every shop/garage/office/building site in the city, applied to hundreds of jobs on the net and has got 2 interviews, none of which was sucsessful. If ya manage to get one make sure to buy a lotto ticket aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Russian Blue

CHealy wrote: »
    Sorry pal but the chances of ya getting a job down here are about a million to one, my brother has been outta work for almost a year, he's handed C.V.s to nearly every shop/garage/office/building site in the city, applied to hundreds of jobs on the net and has got 2 interviews, none of which was sucsessful. If ya manage to get one make sure to buy a lotto ticket aswell.

Ah stop with the negativity. The whole county hasn't shut down - has it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

It really depends if you have a car or will be using the bus etc. There is a 24 hour tesco in Wilton and also a Dunnes Store in Bishopstown (not sure if it is 24 hours).
    There is another Tesco in Mahon and Douglas.

There is a large Dunnes Stores on Patrick Street and a Tesco on Paul's Street in the City Center.

Ah stop with the negativity. The whole county hasn't shut down - has it?

Alright so fella.... you'll get a job no problem, i recommend just walking into Tesco Wilton and telling them your starting work cause i heard they're crying out for people to start, but it seems everyone has a job.

Wake up and cop on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

There's no harm in the OP applying anyway.

Nearest Lidl to UCC/CIT is Togher.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

CHealy wrote: »

To be honest, there's loads of jobs out there if you're not picky. Just look at the "Available Jobs" thread stickied at the top of the forum. If your brother has had that little success in a year, I'd say he should get a professional to look over his CV. We get loads of CVs into my place, and 90% of them are thrown out as soon as we see them. They are badly formatted, full of useless information (no-one needs your Junior Cert results), have loads of misspellings or bad grammar, etc. That, and make sure he's as professional as possible when handing in CVs - that includes being polite, courteous, and appropriately dressed. I got a guy in the other day dressed like a knacker, who thrust his rubbish CV at me and announced "I want a job" before walking back out.

I'm not saying he falls into any of the above categories, but if he hasn't gotten a response from all but 2 places, something is going wrong somewhere.

Faith wrote: »
    To be honest, there's loads of jobs out there if you're not picky. Just look at the "Available Jobs" thread stickied at the top of the forum. If your brother has had that little success in a year, I'd say he should get a professional to look over his CV. We get loads of CVs into my place, and 90% of them are thrown out as soon as we see them. They are badly formatted, full of useless information (no-one needs your Junior Cert results), have loads of misspellings or bad grammar, etc. That, and make sure he's as professional as possible when handing in CVs - that includes being polite, courteous, and appropriately dressed. I got a guy in the other day dressed like a knacker, who thrust his rubbish CV at me and announced "I want a job" before walking back out.

I'm not saying he falls into any of the above categories, but if he hasn't gotten a response from all but 2 places, something is going wrong somewhere.

You may very well be right, I havnt looked over his CV (i will be tommorow) but I would think he has it all sorted proffesionally as he's a very smart mature guy. He has a degree in graphic design but hes been handing in CVs to jobs for everything and anything. Maybe hes just unlucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Fox McCloud

While I wouldnt say you've no chance, you will have to widden your search from shopping centres to absolutely anywhere and everywhere. I was looking for a job last january and I didnt find one untill may, not from lack of trying. Turns out they picked me for interview out of a lot of applicants cause I'd worked in a shop nearby that they're friendly with.

I'm afraid buckets of experience and an excellent CV are no longer guarentees of finding a job. Also, eloquent cover letters selling yourself and praising the shop/bar/whatever as so fantastic your dying to work there will help!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

You say you'll work evenings now but you'll categorically refuse to work Thursday nights after a while!!!! ;)

You should pick something up Xmas temping at the least though if you're going back to Galway for Xmas/New Years then that might be hard.
    Keep up the positive attitude anyway that will come through in interviews.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

when i worked in dunnes store they had a load of people on a 6-10 in the evening shift, then a good few hours at the weekend, nearly all of them were students,
    there are 2 dunnes store in the bishopstown area if you are staying out that way,
    im not sure are they hiring but its worth a shot,

+1 to faith and the dodgy cv`s:D, some cv`s are actually unbelievable they are so bad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Russian Blue

I'l try dunnes, they seem to have good hours. I will also try every other shop, chipper, bar in town. Right now i can't be fussy with what i get, but are there any places that has a night time shift also.

Advertisement