Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS3, GTA 4 - new TV - graphics are edgy and grainy

• 01-08-2010 5:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭

I've done a search already, but nothing from the results helps me much.

I got a new tv a few weeks ago, and thought a good old blast of GTA4 was deserved. The idea was good in theory alright, until practice served otherwise.

I messed about with the Contrast/Brightness/Saturation, don't think it has anything to do with these settings. Picture is edgy and grainy, not sharp at all.Previous TV was 32" HD ready, new TV is 46" Full HD.

Any ideas that can remedy this problem?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

I find PS3 GTA4 a bit blurry at the best of times... maybe it's just more noticeable?
    What I'd look at on the TV in terms of settings:
    Sharpness
    Dynamic contrast
    Dynamic colour
    Noise reduction
    Edge enhancement
    I find these are great for enhancing the shítness of a picture... and I'd turn them all off... maybe lower the sharpness to 40/100 depending on your TV.
    The battle seems to be manufacturers trying to make their picture "pop" more than the next guy, rather than chasing accuracy.
    At a guess I'd say the TV is taking the already cruddy resolution GTA4 is running at, then butchering the shít out of it using all its new bells and whistles.
    I think there might actually be an intentional grain effect on GTA4 (haven't played it in a few months)... maybe the TV's noise reduction is trying to clean it up, killing detail and smoothing it out... then edge enhancement and sharpness is kicking in and enhancing the mess?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Which display mode did you select when you plugged the PS3 into the new TV for the first time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

tman wrote: »
    Which display mode did you select when you plugged the PS3 into the new TV for the first time?

There was no option to choose one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 558 ✭✭✭wobbles-grogan

DO you have it connected with a HDMI cable?

Also, GTA only outputs at 720p (like most, if not all?, games), so the fact the tv is full HD wont make any difference over the 720p.

Even though its a bigger tv with higher max resolution it could have less picture quality.

Also, because the tv is upping a 720p signal to a 1080p signal, it could loose some of its image quality if the TV is badly made...

What make is it?

Advertisement