Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 year laptop with failed graphics card

Options
  • 01-08-2010 5:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭

I got a dell laptop 2 years ago but it only had a one year warranty. Yesterday the graphics card just died and now the screen is always black. Am i covered under the sales of goods and provision of services act 1980?im really annoyed that the laptop died within 2 years...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

hello932 wrote: »
    I got a dell laptop 2 years ago but it only had a one year warranty. Yesterday the graphics card just died and now the screen is always black. Am i covered under the sales of goods and provision of services act 1980?im really annoyed that the laptop died within 2 years...

If your warranty was only a year in length then the 1980 act wont do anything for you im afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Rebel021

Did you contact Dell?
    I know some of the xps laptops were given extended warranties due to the faulty nividia cards.
    http://www.itworld.com/news/53892/dell-takes-heat-faulty-nvidia-chips
    Post you make and model or just do a goggle search with it and see if it was
    a wider problem with the card.
    There may have been an extension to warranties if there was a problem with the graphics card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭hello932

my laptop is not on that list...its as xps m 1730 with dual nvidia 8700 GT...
    will do some research

my laptop is not on that list...its as xps m 1730 with dual nvidia 8700 GT...
    will do some research
    That graphics card is known for overheating.
    There are loads of threads about it on the web.
    Nividia needed to do a big recall but never did (too costly)
    All dell did was release a bios update for it to enable the fans to kick in at a lower temperature.

Rebel021 wrote: »
    That graphics card is known for overheating.
    There are loads of threads about it on the web.
    Nividia needed to do a big recall but never did (too costly)
    All dell did was release a bios update for it to enable the fans to kick in at a lower temperature.

so the nvidia 8700's are known to be faulty? so could i claim under the sales of good act 1980 for being sold 'non merchantable quality' goods?

At this stages i just want a refund--im dont want to get a replacement-im never going to buy dell again

• Advertisement

so the nvidia 8700's are known to be faulty? so could i claim under the sales of good act 1980 for being sold 'non merchantable quality' goods?

At this stages i just want a refund--im dont want to get a replacement-im never going to buy dell again

I don't know about a refund or replacement but you are going to find it hard to get any.You would need to prove you were sold non merchantable quality.

Yes the 8700's are known to be faulty but only within the user community and not from nividia.
    Do a goggle search and you will find loads of complaints plus people who had their gpu updated to the 8800 series after contacting dell but were within warranty.

When dell extended their warranty for faulty cards it was for an extra 12 months so even if your laptop was on the list you are out of the timescale.

Some people have brought their cards back to life by baking them
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/gaming-software-graphics-cards/385857-baking-gpus-oven.html
    http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/topic/25761-gpu-bake-again/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

Hogzy wrote: »
    If your warranty was only a year in length then the 1980 act wont do anything for you im afraid.

That's not true. Your warranty is in addition to your statutory rights (meaning one doesn't replace the other).

From the National Consumer Agency's website:
    A guarantee/warranty is a bonus and cannot affect or diminish your statutory rights with the seller. A guarantee/warranty is a written statement given by a manufacturer or a company indicating they will repair or replace a product within a specified time after it was purchased. You may decide to claim under a guarantee during its period of validity, but cannot be obliged to do so.
    Therefore you may, if the reasonable lifetime of a given product exceeds the time period of any warranty, pursue the seller in respect of your statutory rights - 'The Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act, 1980'. If the trader refuses to offer redress for the faulty goods and you have exhausted all other options you may wish to pursue the matter with the Small Claims Court.
    A guarantee may be useful to a third party, however, as it extends to anyone possessing the goods during the guarantee period. This contrasts with the statutory rights of a purchaser, which extend only to the original purchaser of a good and not to any subsequent recipient or owner of that product. This distinction in important to note in respect of items given as gifts or the purchase/use of second hand items.

Check out more here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Hogzy wrote: »
    this is so untrue it deserves to be highlighted.

op you can make a claim with the "retailer" that sold you the goods and as long as it is not through customer damage or standard wear and tear the fault should be covered by your statutory rights so the "retailer" should attempt a repair and if unsuccessful you should ask for a replacement or refund!

im going to ask dell for a straight refund-with a laptop you cant really replace a graphics card without destroying the rest of the inside system (i seem to recall someone in the computer modding forum saying this). Warranty is over but since the laptop was sold with defective graphic cards im going to argue under the 1980 act that i was sold a non 'merchantable quality' product. Really annoyed-it was only 2 years old. Thank god i back up my data.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,317 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

im going to ask dell for a straight refund-with a laptop you cant really replace a graphics card without destroying the rest of the inside system (i seem to recall someone in the computer modding forum saying this). Warranty is over but since the laptop was sold with defective graphic cards im going to argue under the 1980 act that i was sold a non 'merchantable quality' product. Really annoyed-it was only 2 years old. Thank god i back up my data.
    You replace the whole motherboard and there is no way you'll ever get a full refund after two years use of it.

• Advertisement

yes from what ive read online ill probably get one hell of a fight from dell. Guess ill have to be persistent:pac:

replace the motherboard? eh from what ive read online its the actual graphics card that defective-it melts due to excessive heat from having the laptop turned on. How is that not a defective product?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

If all else fails, bake the card in the oven and it usually brings them back to life. It did on my Dell M1710.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Garth

My Dell XPS1330 is over 2 years old and I got my refund cheque today. It had been repaired twice and is failing again. Took them to small claims and they settled immediately.

My issue was the well-known Nvidia 8400s problem.

OP - don't listen to the people who say there's no way you'll get anywhere. If it's faulty, they have to try and sort it out. Otherwise, small claims is the place to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

who ever said that is speaking crap , the video card on your system is very replaceable , i have worked on alot of these laptops so that comment is crap

i was told that changing a graphics card in a desktop is easy but trying to remove a card from a laptop requires a machine to do it (the same machine that installed the card in the first place). Was this person wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

yes , some laptops have the video inbuilt which you can not change unless you replace the whole board others ie yours you can , whoever who were talking to should stroke their beard more, and learn what they are talking about:rolleyes:

update-i sent a letter to cherrywood yesterday but i imagine it will be a few days before i get a reply.

i also sent a email the dell's uk/ireland email address-but it went through some indian guy..who dosent seem to take me seriously...i think i might stop replying to these emails-i get the distinct impression that they dont give a **** about me

hopefully cherrywood will reply

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭pprendeville

update-i sent a letter to cherrywood yesterday but i imagine it will be a few days before i get a reply.

i also sent a email the dell's uk/ireland email address-but it went through some indian guy..who dosent seem to take me seriously...i think i might stop replying to these emails-i get the distinct impression that they dont give a **** about me

hopefully cherrywood will reply

can you send me the address for Cherrwood and also the email address as I'm having same problems as you. cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

We have about 100 1330's where I work and I would say we have the MOBO replaced on about half of them due to the NVidia issues.

I don't think it would be an easy job to just replace the GC, I know Dell will always replace the whole MOBO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭pprendeville

wingnut wrote: »
    We have about 100 1330's where I work and I would say we have the MOBO replaced on about half of them due to the NVidia issues.

I don't think it would be an easy job to just replace the GC, I know Dell will always replace the whole MOBO.

man that must be a well to do company. not cheap thos machines even in bulk i rekon. company must e sickened though to have gone with those ones. tell me, why did they choose those type. though most companies would choose desktops as more powerful and cheaper. just curious.

• Advertisement
Advertisement