Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a domain and hosting, what's recommended?

Options
  • 01-08-2010 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭

Hi there,
    A friend wants to set up a new website. It'll be a simple 4/5 page site, but she wants to allow people visiting the site to pay for and download a number of PDF files from the site. The plan is to archive the PDF's in to zip files or something and put singular files up for download. The visitor pays for access to the PDF and can download directly to their computer.

I've recommended Blacknight, but I have some questions;

1. She'll start with just one "set" (or .zip file of PDF's), but gradually add more sets over time. Would your 'Minimus' package be good enough for this purpose?

2. Should she start with a monthly minimus package and then upgrade if/when necessary?

3. If she were to buy a years subscription, can she still upgrade mid-term?

4. Also, she'll be using a Mac for editing etc, but I only see the option for Linux and Windows :confused:

5. Are the only details the web developer will need for publishing the website her Blacknight login details?

5. Finally, do you have to buy the domain separately from the hosting package or can you get a domain with the hosting?

Thanks for any help!
    Cian

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Cianos wrote: »
    1. She'll start with just one "set" (or .zip file of PDF's), but gradually add more sets over time. Would your 'Minimus' package be good enough for this purpose?

It should be. The Minimus gives you plenty of space and bandwidth
    2. Should she start with a monthly minimus package and then upgrade if/when necessary?

It's more cost-effective to get the Minimus plan annually when you combine it with our current offers (see: http://domainoffers.me/)
    3. If she were to buy a years subscription, can she still upgrade mid-term?

Yes

4. Also, she'll be using a Mac for editing etc, but I only see the option for Linux and Windows :confused:
    Linux / Windows refers to the server. What you or your friend are using on your desktop isn't important
    5. Are the only details the web developer will need for publishing the website her Blacknight login details?
    Yes
    The FTP settings are accessible via the control panel
    5. Finally, do you have to buy the domain separately from the hosting package or can you get a domain with the hosting?

You can get both at the same time

If you have any other questions please let us know

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Thanks for the reply. I'm on my phone now so can't check again properly, but when I was looking the last time I couldn't see the option to get the domain with Minimus?

Also, would you recommend the Linux or Windows server?

Thanks

Thanks for the reply. I'm on my phone now so can't check again properly, but when I was looking the last time I couldn't see the option to get the domain with Minimus?

Search for a domain and add the hosting to it during the checkout process
    Also, would you recommend the Linux or Windows server?

Thanks
    There isn't a huge difference between the two unless you're coding in ASP.net (which needs Windows)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dunkellin

Hi Blacknight,

Just after coming across this thread which is really helpful. You've answered most of the queries I had when you answered Cianos below.

I've a query which I hope you can help with. I'm messing with a Joomla to build a website for a sports club I'm a member of. I've done a bit locally on my PC using Joomla. I've a couple of general questions if you don't mind..

- Is it possible to transfer what I've done so far to Blacknight and then work on it until its ready to go.
    - Does the Blacknight application vault mean I can use Joomla within Blacknight (not sure if that's the phrase to use but hopefully you get where I'm coming at) to start afresh again or manipulate what I've transferred up already?
    - Finally, does your website go 'live' when you sign up or have you the option of keeping it offline until you think its ready to go?
    - Can you 'buy' certain domain names and point them back to where your actual website is?

Thanks for the help Blacknight,

D.

dunkellin wrote: »
    - Is it possible to transfer what I've done so far to Blacknight and then work on it until its ready to go.

I've no idea in what form your work is at the moment ,but assuming it's "normal" - yes
    - Does the Blacknight application vault mean I can use Joomla within Blacknight (not sure if that's the phrase to use but hopefully you get where I'm coming at) to start afresh again or manipulate what I've transferred up already?

The application vault is a simple auto-installer. It's aimed at people who don't feel comfortable configuring things

If you're going to be doing any customisations you'd be better off with a manual install
    - Finally, does your website go 'live' when you sign up or have you the option of keeping it offline until you think its ready to go?

It's going to be live as soon as you configure it, but not as soon as you signup
    - Can you 'buy' certain domain names and point them back to where your actual website is?

Yes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dunkellin

Thanks for the reply. I've created a basic website using the latest version of Joomla. I'm assuming its 'normal' too!

Anyway, thanks for the time to respond to my query

Advertisement