Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Decent prints for wedding album

• 01-08-2010 7:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭

Hi can anyone recommend somewhere to get decent prints done.

I have a DVD of our wedding photos from professional photographer. Now the time has come to print them, we dont want just a regular fuji print job.

Can anyone recommend anyone or anywhere to get them done?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Printing Service - www.360-dpi.com
    He is in Dun Laoghaire, excellent printer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

thanks John

yes i could help

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Do you have the files at Print Resolution?

Do you buy the rights to Print the Photo's?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

These are both very important questions. If the photographer gave you the disk so you could preview the shots and order prints *FROM HIM* (or her) it might be violating copyright to get them printed. (It would be in the U.S. without a signed copyright-release from the photographer stating that you have the right to print the photos... it's never implied there.. not sure what the copyright laws are like here... never worked as a photographer on these shores.)

and.. if the photos aren't at high enough resolution to print.. they'll look lousy no matter who prints them.
    CabanSail wrote: »
    Do you have the files at Print Resolution?

Do you buy the rights to Print the Photo's?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Is it getting to the stage here where everyone is paranoid about copyright infringement etc?

I know of at least one photographer who clearly states on their website that their wedding package includes

"All your images (approx 1,000 or more) high resolution images on CD (You can print from)"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Is it written on the disc by any chance? The discs I supply clearly state that the client has permission to print from the disc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

People should think about it for sure. A photographer has the right to earn money off of their images how the see fit.

The more expensive the photographer, the more likely they are to NOT allow people to print photos themselves [without a hefty extra payment for the rights to do so] and the more likely they are to sue. [and if it goes to court.. they will generally win a large settlement.. at least in the U.S... probably here as well.)

In the U.S. the "standard" fine to a lab that printed a copyrighted image by a professional where the customer (presumably of both the photographer and the lab) did not have permission, was something in the tens of thousands of dollars per image infringed. Having an issue just once would put most small labs out of business. (The fine itself would be paid by insurance, but the premiums for that insurance would then go up astronomically.)

If the photographer states that right in writing (or in a notation on the CD that is signed & printable by the lab to indemnify itself.) then there's really no issue, and the photographer is nice to his/her clients. But... we all know how people can get over anything is perceived as "taking money out of their pockets" Most people are capable of enormous greed.. and photographers are people so the proportion is probably similar. (although.. the art of photography is generally sharing your artistic vision with others.. so maybe a little less than the average level of avarice.) ;)
    Is it getting to the stage here where everyone is paranoid about copyright infringement etc?

I know of at least one photographer who clearly states on their website that their wedding package includes

"All your images (approx 1,000 or more) high resolution images on CD (You can print from)"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

The op only asked where could he get decent prints done from a CD.
    No need for all this discussion on this thread.
    The printer will enlighten him to any permissions he may need or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭PoleStar

They are full res photos (camera is Nikon D2X).

The deal was DVD of photos rather than prints as we got married in Spain and while it was a British photographer living in Spain, it still would have been too inconvenient.

So yes stick to my original question please!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Pffft! I couldnt even imagine someone handing me a disk containing 1,000 images from my wedding day, nor could i imagine handing someone that amount of images from theirs!

Seriously, surely quality control comes into it somewhere along the line?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I recently did a family wedding & got Steve (stcstc) to do the printing (sheesh there is a lot of work doing an Album) The quality of the printing was excellent.

I only raised the copyright issue earlier as a consideration as an ethical printer would not print work where there was a breach of copyright.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Gone Fishin

We got the disc and permission from our photographer from our Wedding in Austria last year. I asked him about it and he said he didn't care what happened to the images so long as he was paid his fee for taking them.

We used photobox.ie to get a number of smaller albums made up and they are really nice, I prefer them to the main album which is just too big and bulky. These are smaller and in a hard back book format. Plus you can add your own text etc. They were very reasonable too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Fid10

For professional printing you might consider Hand's Digital Imaging, Newbrook Industrial Estate, Mullingar.

They always produce top class results.

Advertisement