Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you hate about Irish people

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Eve, some Irish person wanted to bitch about Irish people and did a search I guess. It's kinda like when you see some female posters saying "I have no time for women - they're so bitchy"... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    Personally I'd happily take the aspects on board that agree with and can change, like puncuality and our drinking, for example. Both of which I've improved on down the years.
    Yeah...we can take on board ,learn and improve on those faults we may have and good to acknowledge we have them .

But to imply the friendliness of the Irish is phoney is a step too far in my opinion. I appreciate it when a stranger is friendly to me, regardless of whether it's phoney at the initial stages or not. Better than being an ignorant fecker like you might come across elsewhere. False people are everywhere
    . Yes and it's an ice breaker of sorts which is better then been cold shoulderd or ignored by some iggnoramous .
    There's a fine line between constructive criticism of ourselves and foreigners and just plan self-loathing and insulting us with no grounds. If I was to post on an American forum calling their friendliness phoney, I'd have people telling me that wasn't on. That's a fact. The poster is very welcome to stay in the country (of course...like my siblings have been made welcome there) and I'd never suggest anything stupid like for him to get on a plane and get out of the country but I'll pick him up on that as I don't think it's fair.
    For all their cultural differences and ''Americanisims'' ( some very nice ..some tacky ) you could never fault American friendliness... even if it's just at the reception desk ,restaurant or as a social greeting .
    I used to have a terrible habit of complaining about Spain when I got here first and sometimes I still do when I have a bad day...I blame everything on them on not on myself (and the fault probably lies with me, in fairness). Most ex pats here are the same. There's an English speaking bar where ex pats frequent and like to moan and moan about the locals (horrible dive) but wouldn't dare to say it to their faces. You can get into that habit as a foreigner in a different country and the irony is, these ex pats have formed as unjustified hatred for the locals and surprisingly, they've no Spanish friends because they've already formed their opinions on ALL of them with generalisations. It's something you have to watch.
    I was over on holiday in Salou Spain for 10 days recently , got back last week and we met up with some English / Irish friends who were staying at our hotel .One English guy in particualr was harping on and complaining about the quality of hotel food not up to scratch (yet his plate was always full at meal times with second helpings )

the water (oh yeah ....your supposed to drink the bottled stuff from the shops )

the Spanish hotel staff ( whom odd individual aside , I found on the whole to be fine and pleasent enough )

It was in built and part of his character to find fault and it became comical in the end with me eventually laughing at his every whinge which was way OTT and for most part ,to do with some other personell issue he had with his wife .

• Eve_Dublin wrote: »

I used to have a terrible habit of complaining about Spain when I got here first and sometimes I still do when I have a bad day...I blame everything on them on not on myself (and the fault probably lies with me, in fairness). Most ex pats here are the same. There's an English speaking bar where ex pats frequent and like to moan and moan about the locals (horrible dive) but wouldn't dare to say it to their faces. You can get into that habit as a foreigner in a different country and the irony is, these ex pats have formed as unjustified hatred for the locals and surprisingly, they've no Spanish friends because they've already formed their opinions on ALL of them with generalisations. It's something you have to watch.

I used to live in Andalucia and the ignorance and rudeness of the people there (especially in the service industry) took my breath away at first. I did use to have an ol b*tch and moan with other expats and share the latest stories of having drinks slammed down in front of you with a scowl or being ignored for half an hour when you wanted to pay for food.

But you're right, ultimately, it's pointless and destructive. You don't want to become one of those awful moany expats who make you think 'if you hate it so much, why don't you go home?' It's easy to get into a cycle where all you do is moan about the place and I think at the end of the day, you just make yourself miserable by doing that. Much better to have a positive attitude and think 'well, it's their problem, not mine' when someone is rude and not take it personally. There's so much to enjoy in Spain, it seems like such a waste when people spend their time going to English cafes for egg and chips and moaning about the Spanish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

I used to live in Andalucia and the ignorance and rudeness of the people there (especially in the service industry) took my breath away at first. I did use to have an ol b*tch and moan with other expats and share the latest stories of having drinks slammed down in front of you with a scowl or being ignored for half an hour when you wanted to pay for food.

But you're right, ultimately, it's pointless and destructive. You don't want to become one of those awful moany expats who make you think 'if you hate it so much, why don't you go home?' It's easy to get into a cycle where all you do is moan about the place and I think at the end of the day, you just make yourself miserable by doing that. Much better to have a positive attitude and think 'well, it's their problem, not mine' when someone is rude and not take it personally. There's so much to enjoy in Spain, it seems like such a waste when people spend their time going to English cafes for egg and chips and moaning about the Spanish.

You know I've moaned about it myself here on Boards, Liam Unimportant Sunscreen but I've had a bit of a change of attitude since (or at least trying to) and working on it. This is my home and most people I come into contact with properly i.e. friends and students I teach are really lovely. I suppose I've tried to understand why they the way they are when they're like that and put it in perspective. As you said, lots to love about the place and a pity people shun the whole country when they've had some bad experiences. Service is overall diabolical in Madrid (I've only lived here) but I suppose it might have something to do with the atrocious pay and no incentive because of lack of tipping culture. I suppose if you choose to ignore that or find some humour in it, you get used to it. I definitely have by now and I've warmed to them.

When I waitressed in the States on the auld J1, I was fake as fake can be because I knew that costumer was paying my wages, even if they were massive pains in the whole. That's not right either...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Katgurl

I hate how Irish people don't look after their teeth.

I hate the way even though I consider us goodlooking we are just a bit scruffy in our appearance - even when dressed up girls clothes are a bit too tight or short / hems falling down / streaky tan etc.

I hate the fact we're heading toward obesity as a nation.

I hate the fact most Irish people don't incorporate regular exercise into their lifestyle.

I hate that we have sloppy work practices, things done nearly according to protocol is acceptable, sales targets nearly achieved is close enough etc.

There are many many many things I LOVE about being Irish that far outweigh the above (character, humour, drive, heart, sex appeal, accent, individuality) but that's not the point of the thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

WTF this thread is a year and half old
    Ireland has Zero negative's
    ....awaits lock

Katgurl wrote: »

I hate the way even though I consider us goodlooking we are just a bit scruffy in our appearance - even when dressed up girls clothes are a bit too tight or short / hems falling down / streaky tan etc.

I hate the fact most Irish people don't incorporate regular exercise into their lifestyle.

I hate that we have sloppy work practices, things done nearly according to protocol is acceptable, sales targets nearly achieved is close enough etc.

There are many many many things I LOVE about being Irish that far outweigh the above (character, humour, drive, heart, sex appeal, accent, individuality) but that's not the point of the thread.
    Meh, the appearance stuff - how is that specifically Irish? And the... shattering :D spectacle of a bit of loose thread from a hem - can't say I've noticed it much, nor that it's particularly Irish. Maybe get botherd by more important things? Also, irish people actually do seem to look after their teeth - apart from a minority, like anywhere.
    I personally don't care if other people don't exercise, but again, what's Irish about that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭teaandtoast

There is a lot wrong with Ireland for a so called first world developed western democratic country.First of all the health service is completely dysfunctional on many levels, if cannot afford health insurance because of being a low income earner and your circumstances then there is a high chance you have to wait for 3 or 4 months for a routine operation/procedure that takes 30 mins. So this country has in wrong because health is a basic human right and they put money before people's lives and health, so that says alot.
    Another thing Ireland has the 5th highest youth sucide rate in Europe. There are very few realistic actions and strageties to address mental health and suicide available for young people and people in general in this country; access to improve their mental health and the quality of their life. Aware reported that half a million suffer from depression and mental health difficulties here , that's a lot for a country of 4.5 million people.
    Another thing if you are different, life is difficult here because most people want to be like each other like if you don't do what the social norm says. If your in your mid 20s live alone and not with your parents and you don't watch x factor, follow GAA, dont follow fashion, dont drink and go to pubs and clubs at weekend when you would rather go to church or do some voluntary work or something that is different from the norm, those type of people are rediculed and seen as 'weird' so if i am asked what i do at weekend I wouldn't tell people in general here because they assume i am abnormal so if you are different in anyway you will be pushed to the margins.
    I hear all of this about community, there is no real community here. Community doesn't exist, community involves all people not just people you know and who play GAA, people who live in the community and especially people who are different. Many people don't talk to people from different cultures/religious/countries the same way they talk to Irish people, do they know that they are not from mars
    I personally believe Ireland has lost it's spirit that's what happens they they sell their soul for money.
    Asking people to vote twice on the lisbon treaty, that was wrong ignoring the intregity of the people's vote and again them again to vote, it's show that many (NOT all) irish people are fickle, and believe everything they are told without using their own head and thinking for themselves.
    That is another thing that is wrong with many Irish people, they don't know or maybe havn't learned how to use their heads to Think. I know myself and see it all the time, I am Irish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭biddyteabags

When they go abroad and wear their county jerseys every single day. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Katgurl

Dudess wrote: »
    Katgurl wrote: »

Meh, the appearance stuff - how is that specifically Irish? And the... shattering :D spectacle of a bit of loose thread from a hem - can't say I've noticed it much, nor that it's particularly Irish. Maybe get botherd by more important things? Also, irish people actually do seem to look after their teeth - apart from a minority, like anywhere.
    I personally don't care if other people don't exercise, but again, what's Irish about that?

not the end of the world no but if you're going to great time and expense to dress up for an event I think it's a shame when hems are falling down, shirts unironed, love handles bulging, bra straps falling down, knicker lines showing. It's not every nationality, certainly not Italian, French, English.

Everywhere I look I see discoloured crooked stained teeth.

As for the exercise, as a nation we are unhealthy and becoming increasingly less attractive.

I think it's an unnecessarily bad lazy attitude toward ourselves.

• Advertisement

• Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    You know I've moaned about it myself here on Boards, Liam Unimportant Sunscreen but I've had a bit of a change of attitude since (or at least trying to) and working on it. This is my home and most people I come into contact with properly i.e. friends and students I teach are really lovely. I suppose I've tried to understand why they the way they are when they're like that and put it in perspective. As you said, lots to love about the place and a pity people shun the whole country when they've had some bad experiences. Service is overall diabolical in Madrid (I've only lived here) but I suppose it might have something to do with the atrocious pay and no incentive because of lack of tipping culture. I suppose if you choose to ignore that or find some humour in it, you get used to it. I definitely have by now and I've warmed to them.

When I waitressed in the States on the auld J1, I was fake as fake can be because I knew that costumer was paying my wages, even if they were massive pains in the whole. That's not right either...

I definitely do find humour in it now. I took my boyfriend over to visit the town where I used to live and he spent the first day getting into a huff about people being rude and ignorant. He was surprised that I wasn't, because I'm usually the moany one. I told him to forget getting annoyed because the Spanish don't give a sh*t about offending you, and just laugh and continue enjoying his day. It is surprisingly easy to get used to the rudeness over there.

I think a lot of the time, the people are just fed up of their jobs and the crap pay, as you say. Once you sympathise with them and engage them in conversation, they're often alright. I struck up a conversation with the grumpy barman at an all-inclusive place in Fuerteventura a few years ago and was telling me how he'd moved over from Gran Canaria and how he was paid only 800 euro a month to work until 3am and deal with crowds of drunk English/Irish/Scottish/Welsh people every single day. He was just fed up of people being rude to him and getting annoyed when his couldn't understand their English. He thought it was cool that myself and my friend were able to chat to him in Spanish and we got free cocktails all night. Same with I lived back in Andalucia, was constantly being kissed on the cheeks and given free drinks in the bars I visited regularly because I made the effort to speak Spanish and chat to them. Sure, a lot of the people there (especially on the Madrid metro) are just d*ckheads and not that nice, but who cares?

I've definitely learned not to get sucked into the 'expat bubble'. I have a b*tch and a moan sometimes, but if you spend every moment in your new country whining about it, nobody is going to be more miserable than you. The locals won't care. I'm always careful to remind myself of that when I meet up with another expat and the conversations turns to whatever is annoying us about the place! Sounds corny, but a positive attitude works wonders as you've also seen!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

We do have a good reputation, and people do like us abroad, here in the US it's like they've met a celebrity sometimes, and back in London where I usually live they all seem to like Irish people and have Irish friends.
    What annoys me the most are Irish people who go backpacking and seem to almost go out of their way to avoid Irish people. Met so many idiots in South America that almost blanked me as soon as they heard my accent. I've been to Irish bars all over the world, some are awful, some are good fun - I don't know why so many people complain about them and want to avoid them point blank, especially if you're living abroad. I couldn't care less if all the people I knew in the world were Irish as long as they were good people. So stop self loathing - accept the fact you are Irish and embrace the good things about it. Or sit in a bar with tayto and a Celtic jersey if it makes you happy, who cares!?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

mikemac wrote: »
    Self-hatred
    Start a thread on bad things in Ireland and everyone will agree

However if a non national comes on boards and states the same examples they'll be told to head to the airport if they don't like it here. Funny that
    Because single topic threads like this don't give a balanced view on what people actually think of Ireland

Obviously to be living here the positive aspects outweigh the negative but questions like "What do you hate/dislike most...." tend to skew opinion towards the bad points.

I'll be moving to England soon, and could start several threads about things I hate over there....but all things considered there's more good reasons to be there than anywhere else.

Also can't understand the venom directed towards GAA/rugby/soccer fans. I don't particularly take to LOI football but supporting Shamrock Rovers isn't a trait I hate in Irish people.

In fact there's not much I can say I hate about ourselves, just little aspects of our personality I wish we could be a little differerent at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

Every country and nation has aspects it dislikes about itself. Personally I dislike fake tans and clown-esque makeup chosen by a hell of a lot of Irish women. You'd have much better skin if you removed the fake tan crap and let your skin get some air.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

The aroma especially Westmeath people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭PeefsPixie

The fact that we are the most self deprecating people on the planet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

PeefsPixie wrote: »
    The fact that we are the most self deprecating people on the planet

thats a bit pompous

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Difficult to form relationships with i find compared to other nationalities... Maybe the exotic appeals more. Though technically we're all a mystery to one another (a line like that works so much better with a european than an irish person)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

When they go abroad and wear their county jerseys every single day. ;)

I see plently of American college students around who wear branded Tshirts and hoodies and other gear from their colleges

And older people who probably graduated over a decade ago and they still have college gear and wear it abroad

Much the same realy, it's nothing Irish

And I didn't miss your smilie :)

How is saying that we're self deprecating people being pompous?? Most Irish people, including myself, put themselves down without even knowing theyr doing it. Noticing doesnt make me self important...

• Advertisement

PeefsPixie wrote: »
    How is saying that we're self deprecating people being pompous?? Most Irish people, including myself, put themselves down without even knowing theyr doing it. Noticing doesnt make me self important...

I'm guessing it was a joke...can you not see the irony?

Dear god... Im seriosuly having a slow day if I didnt pick up on that, lmao!!

• BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    We do have a good reputation, and people do like us abroad, here in the US it's like they've met a celebrity sometimes, and back in London where I usually live they all seem to like Irish people and have Irish friends.
    What annoys me the most are Irish people who go backpacking and seem to almost go out of their way to avoid Irish people. Met so many idiots in South America that almost blanked me as soon as they heard my accent. I've been to Irish bars all over the world, some are awful, some are good fun - I don't know why so many people complain about them and want to avoid them point blank, especially if you're living abroad. I couldn't care less if all the people I knew in the world were Irish as long as they were good people. So stop self loathing - accept the fact you are Irish and embrace the good things about it. Or sit in a bar with tayto and a Celtic jersey if it makes you happy, who cares!?

I don't think it's fair to call someone an idiot because they've travelled halfway around the world to get away from Ireland and don't fancy chatting to an Irish person. It's not self-loathing, perhaps they just need some time out or something bad happened back home and you're reminding them of it. There's nothing wrong with avoiding Irish bars if you've moved somewhere else to experience a different culture. A lot of people abroad would be there to learn the language and see speaking English as a distraction and a waste of time, which it is, if you have a goal to become fluent in the local language.

Or perhaps they don't like Ireland. So what? I just don't like the idea of someone telling other people what they can and can't do because you happen to come from the same country. There's no obligation to be fond of a country just because you were born there. Why do you care so much? Let people be what they want to be, they have their reasons and they don't need to justify themselves to you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

I don't think it's fair to call someone an idiot because they've travelled halfway around the world to get away from Ireland and don't fancy chatting to an Irish person. It's not self-loathing, perhaps they just need some time out or something bad happened back home and you're reminding them of it. There's nothing wrong with avoiding Irish bars if you've moved somewhere else to experience a different culture. A lot of people abroad would be there to learn the language and see speaking English as a distraction and a waste of time, which it is, if you have a goal to become fluent in the local language.

Or perhaps they don't like Ireland. So what? I just don't like the idea of someone telling other people what they can and can't do because you happen to come from the same country. There's no obligation to be fond of a country just because you were born there. Why do you care so much? Let people be what they want to be, they have their reasons and they don't need to justify themselves to you.

I think not chatting to someone because of their accent is downright rude, in any circumstances. Yes I do believe you are an idiot if you are avoiding Irish people, because you shouldn't want to avoid people from any country, every Irish person is still an individual. Also, don't stay in international hostels if you don't want to meet fellow travellers.

I dunno whether self deprecation is an overwhelmingly Irish trait - sure it's common enough here, but there are quite a few who are overly defensive of Ireland too. A people whom I think are on the whole more self deprecating is the English.

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    I think not chatting to someone because of their accent is downright rude, in any circumstances. Yes I do believe you are an idiot if you are avoiding Irish people, because you shouldn't want to avoid people from any country, every Irish person is still an individual. Also, don't stay in international hostels if you don't want to meet fellow travellers.

I came across this a fair bit too while in SA and it seemed most prevalent among the Irish. It was too common to just discount as a one off case, Izzy Wizzy. It's strange behaviour and rude to ignore someone because of their accent. It didn't bother me...intrigued me more than anything else. I didn't really get it. Surely the idea of travelling is to open your mind to other cultures and seeing were all essentially the same (a bit of a cliche I know) but sure what's the point when you aren't even open to your own?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Rockery Woman

Some Irish people irritate the fcuk out of me.

Some British people irritate me too.

Some Polish people annoy me aswell.

But I have friends from all those countries who I love dearly and enhance my life by being in it!

Yes, there are a lot of Irish "small minded, bedgrudging etc", but some of us are really worth getting to know better. We cant all be tarred with the same brush (Im only on my second can of beer so Im hardly an Irish alcoholic....:pac:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I hate the country's obsession with drink. Socialising shouldnt always revolve around the pub/club/offie.

• BraziliaNZ wrote: »

Well, I wasn't there so I don't know what you experienced, but I don't believe anyone is obliged to chat to anyone else. If they didn't want to chat to you, it was really their business, once they're not being downright pig ignorant (like not answering when you say hello). I just can't stand the idea of people having to justify themselves to other people. I have an English friend who avoided Irish people for ages because their accent reminded her of an ex who had died in an accident. She had every right to do that.
    Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    I came across this a fair bit too while in SA and it seemed most prevalent among the Irish. It was too common to just discount as a one off case, Izzy Wizzy. It's strange behaviour and rude to ignore someone because of their accent. It didn't bother me...intrigued me more than anything else. I didn't really get it. Surely the idea of travelling is to open your mind to other cultures and seeing were all essentially the same (a bit of a cliche I know) but sure what's the point when you aren't even open to your own?

I haven't experienced it personally - the opposite, in fact - but I don't think it's that hard to understand? I for one don't really want to be spending all my time abroad with Irish people. I can do that at home. I know a few of the Irish girls I met on Erasmus didn't like me because they felt like I was snubbing them by not going to the Irish bar and hanging out with them all the time. It was nothing personal and obviously I have nothing against the Irish. I just wanted to use my time in Spain to speak Spanish as much as possible or at least meet people from other countries. I didn't understand why they had to cling so much to being Irish and gathering to watch matches every week, but I didn't criticise them for it. I just saw it as a waste of time. I wasn't rude to these girls, always said hello etc, but I didn't see why I should feel obliged to be mates with them just because we were from the same country, when I had much more in common with other people.

I'm just not sure why people (and strangely enough, it does tend to be Irish people) get bent out of shape about other people not wanting to talk to them. Who cares? Leave them to it. If they really are that ignorant, you don't want them as friends anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

I hate the country's obsession with drink. Socialising shouldnt always revolve around the pub/club/offie.

Ahh this old myth again i only drink about once every 2 weeks i have lots of friends and socialize a lot(restaurants,cinema,mountain climbing,walking,painting,poker,soccer,table tennis,occasional cannabis smoking)there are loads of thing's you and your friends can do if you put your mind to it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement