Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you hate about Irish people

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44,501 ✭✭✭✭Deki

Some Irish people irritate the fcuk out of me.

Some British people irritate me too.

Some Polish people annoy me aswell.

But I have friends from all those countries who I love dearly and enhance my life by being in it!

Yes, there are a lot of Irish "small minded, bedgrudging etc", but some of us are really worth getting to know better. We cant all be tarred with the same brush (Im only on my second can of beer so Im hardly an Irish alcoholic....:pac:)

I've never been anywhere much. (though the places I have been were interesting and I don't know why I would have gone if I hadn't wanted to see something different.)
    The thing is, seems to me people are mostly the same all over. Heavens you can't get out of my family without finding some that are small minded and some that are begrudging and some that drink too much and some think they're superior, It's a big world aren't we all a part of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

I love Irish people. Most of my friends and family are from this small island. We arent a bad lot as history goes and I'll defend my people till the end (bit drunk).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    I love Irish people. Most of my friends and family are from this small island. We arent a bad lot as history goes and I'll defend my people till the end (bit drunk).

For me it's a bit like family or the Mafia...I can make fun of them but you can't...or you'll get a horses head in your bed kinda thing. I used to be a little bit touchy about it alright but you do have to learn to accept criticism where it's justified and called for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I admit to keeping my mouth shut when suddenly in the presence of some Irish people abroad. Recurrently it's because as individuals they were displaying their disinterest in the country to which I'd come to explore. That's more about priorities. Some people backpack to search for a decent pint and other Irish people to hang out with, that's their buzz. Best of luck to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

I love you, man. (group hug)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Should have run for president hehe

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    I love you, man. (group hug)
    I love you too man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

The drink culture has a lot to do with it .Even yesterday I saw some news article online about Weslife appearing on the Alan Carr show were after a drinking contest he ended up legless and had to end the show , ha ha

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Too much man love in here for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 lpjonesy

Financial ineptitude, the Irish are useless with money , they borrow whenever they can and never pay back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

I am Irish, proud of it and wouldn't be from anywhere else BUT the constant whinging about the state of the country really gets to me. I mean yes we are having problems at the minute but is it really so bad that we have to spend our days decrying the government, attacking the church and moaning about the banks?

We really are not as badly off as we would like to think imo. Sometimes I think people in this country just whinge and whine because they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

lpjonesy wrote: »
    Financial ineptitude, the Irish are useless with money , they borrow whenever they can and never pay back

Care to elaborate on that?Because if your talking about the current financial predicament we find our self's in, vast sums were borrowed by a very small and select group of people and its grossly unfair to blame Irish people on a whole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

We seem to have become a nation of people with terrible manners, that really irritates me.

Maybe it was always like that and I only started to notice it the past few years.

Seems to be getting much worse though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    I'm guessing it was a joke...can you not see the irony?

It was actually bronzy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Hank_Jones wrote: »
    We seem to have become a nation of people with terrible manners, that really irritates me.

Maybe it was always like that and I only started to notice it the past few years.

Seems to be getting much worse though.

I was texting while reading that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44,501 ✭✭✭✭Deki

manners are sort of a pet peeve of mine, they are simple enough and designed to help a world full of strangers get along in sometimes awkward circumstances, a tool to living.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

I am Irish, proud of it and wouldn't be from anywhere else BUT the constant whinging about the state of the country really gets to me. I mean yes we are having problems at the minute but is it really so bad that we have to spend our days decrying the government, attacking the church and moaning about the banks?

Since all three are or have been engaged in outrageous/criminal behaviour then yes people do have a right to let off steam. Or maybe you think their doing a good job?

Care to elaborate on that?Because if your talking about the current financial predicament we find our self's in, vast sums were borrowed by a very small and select group of people and its grossly unfair to blame Irish people on a whole.
    I don't remember anyone protesting against gazumping tens years ago when it was rampant. How many protest were directly against the bank bailout, I remember two that could only garner a few hundred.
    Make no mistake, many people in this society were very happy sit on their arse and let society be ripped apart as long as their property increased in value. It may not have been outright greed but their inertia was definately in self interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭wolf moon

I like the Irish I know. Good buzz, up for craic, nice girls (Dublin accent melts me totally :p), so I dunno what is your boggle OP... :confused:

I do not like generalisations and try not to do it myself.

Jeebus, I haven't posted here for a while, I feel weird.

catbear wrote: »
    I don't remember anyone protesting against gazumping tens years ago when it was rampant. How many protest were directly against the bank bailout, I remember two that could only garner a few hundred.
    Make no mistake, many people in this society were very happy sit on their arse and let society be ripped apart as long as their property increased in value. It may not have been outright greed but their inertia was definately in self interest.

Your missing the point i was questioning the aspersions that Irish people are greedy.The bank bailout had nothing to do with greed it was a completely unfair injustice forced upon the Irish people by the Ecb(Didnt Trichet ring Lenihan the night before and say no European bank was to fail)you cant blame that on the supposed "greed" of Irish people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

What I hate about Irish people is they're too argumentive....

Who said that

The bank bailout had nothing to do with greed it was a completely unfair injustice forced upon the Irish people by the Ecb(Didnt Trichet ring Lenihan the night before and say no European bank was to fail)you cant blame that on the supposed "greed" of Irish people
    It was not forced. It was enacted by an act of government elected by the people. You can check the Dail record on this but only 22 TDs voted against it. Even SF voted for it. But I guess that another Irish problem, being unable to take responsibility for their own mistakes and then as a result cursed to repeat them. I remember Lenehan telling the world it would be the cheapest bailout in history! Then he had to INVITE the IMF in. I put INVITE in bold for a reason.
    Irish society could have used Euro lower interest rates for better uses than buying and selling houses to eachother, they learned nothing from Japan and are doomed to follow.

It was not forced. It was enacted by an act of government elected by the people. You can check the Dail record on this but only 22 TDs voted against it. Even SF voted for it. But I guess that another Irish problem, being unable to take responsibility for their own mistakes and then as a result cursed to repeat them. I remember Lenehan telling the world it would be the cheapest bailout in history! Then he had to INVITE the IMF in. I put INVITE in bold for a reason.
    Irish society could have used Euro lower interest rates for better uses than buying and selling houses to eachother, they learned nothing from Japan and are doomed to follow.

Bullsh*t such a cop out that is. If Ireland was to invade a peaceful country tomorrow would you fully support it because the "Democratically" elected government decided to do so?Riddle me that!

What invasion? Was there a war? I missed it. Must be great fun in your head.

What invasion? Was there a war? I missed it. Must be great fun in your head.

You cant answer my question so deflect the issue at hand is it?You would of been better off not replying at all

Inform me about this invasion and I'll answer you.

Inform me about this invasion and I'll answer you.

Notice the word if i was asking you a question and you did not answer it .
    You were making the assertion that the bank guarantee was fair game because the "democratically" elected government passed it and were to blame.

This is gone way off topic you can reply by PM is you wish

I never said it was fair. Now about this invasion, any specific dates, I might have been abroad at the time and I might have missed it. People get so caught up in X-Factor that they forgot to mention anything else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

On topic, all irish people are prejudiced

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement