Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you hate about Irish people

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Seeing as this has turned into a thread about traits you dislike that anyone, no matter what nationality, could have, I'd say: interrupting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

.. that the irish are a bunch of moaners and begruders.

Moan, moan, moan about the government but take to the streets? not a bloody chance.
    +
    Jealous bas*ards. If someone else is even making 1 euro more an hour. Its an "outrage" .. "how dare they" :rolleyes: and if someone is really better off than them then the big moans come out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

Our tendency to sensationalise.

LighterGuy wrote: »
    .. that the irish are a bunch of moaners and begruders.

Moan, moan, moan about the government but take to the streets? not a bloody chance.
    +
    Jealous bas*ards. If someone else is even making 1 euro more an hour. Its an "outrage" .. "how dare they" :rolleyes: and if someone is really better off than them then the big moans come out.
    I rarely encounter it tbh - I think it's a myth that it's so widespread here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭worded

The love of potatoes. I hate da in a fella.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

This thread is giving me a headache. What a bunch of whiners the lot of you! Jesus!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Punctuality, A lot of people dont have it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Don't forget the inbreeding!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

The bandwagonism. Best example was the Henry handball. Every dickhead who never watched a football match before suddenly had a vast knowledge of football and not only that but not a single one of them would have done the same thing apparently. Was never more ashamed to be an Irish football fan than the week after that play-off hearing all that bollocks spouted.

If you don't know who Glen Whelan is then don't pretend to have followed the team since day one.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Xivilai

worded wrote: »
    I hate da in a fella.

You dads entitled to a sex life too :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭droicead

the over use of the words 'absolutley'and'fantastic'

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Dudess wrote: »
    I rarely encounter it tbh - I think it's a myth that it's so widespread here.
    Really? I see it all the time. Theres a serious crabs in a bucket mentality in some parts of the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

the underclass who resent anything those of us who are well off have.

i also hate the povs who support english soccer. it just looks embarassing to me.

i hate the mindset of those who follow gaa religiously

Stuck up people like this...

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭texidub

I hate the way Irish people speak Russian when they have a perfectly good native tongue --Arapaho. Also, the way everybody in Ireland is into voodoo... it doesn't work folks! And why does EVERYONE take helicopters everywhere?! Ever hear of just walking to the shops?! Don't even get me started on the national obsession with soot juggling.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Gingko

I hate when Irish people say things like "sure everyone loves us" or "everyone wants to be Irish". No they dont and its fcukin embarrassing.

What do I hate the most about Irish people? Probably you pal! F**k off and find a corner of the world to be happy in! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

worded wrote: »
    The love of potatoes. I hate da in a fella.

I love potatoes. Natures most versatile vegetable . Almost as versatile as hemp ;)
    droicead wrote: »
    the over use of the words 'absolutley'and'fantastic'

I hear ''brilliant'' far more and I really hate hearing ''thanks a million''

where the fook did ''thanks a million'' come from ? I never heard anyone else say it apart from in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Miss Olenska

psychward wrote: »
    I hear ''brilliant'' far more and I really hate hearing ''thanks a million''

where the fook did ''thanks a million'' come from ? I never heard anyone else say it apart from in Ireland.

Probably from Irish. Hiberno-English and all that jazz. An Australian friend of mine hates how much Irish people said it. She finds it overly effusive.

Probably from Irish. Hiberno-English and all that jazz. An Australian friend of mine hates how much Irish people said it. She finds it overly effusive.

Of course the aussies are such tolerant and cultured folk

Gingko wrote: »
    Culture? Culture is something societies console themselves with when forced indoors for too long by bad weather.
    Have we covered the inbreeding? That's pretty bad in rural parts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Miss Olenska

Gingko wrote: »

Bigoted comment is bigoted.

• Advertisement

catbear, what are you on about? miss olenska, I lived and worked in Australia for 5 years. Had a good time and made friends there. Those friends agree with me. I never came across such widespread intolerance in any other country? Intolerance towards the real natives and asians. So much anger and intolerance. Bigoted? well I'm actually of mixed race myself!

Plenty of intolerance in ireland, Germans have told me that the way Irish people talk about travellers was the same as gypsys and jews received in the 20/30s.

As for the inbreeding, it is more of a rural thing and you might not have come across it yet. It is rather alarming when you do, not as common now but not unusual a few generations back.

catbear wrote: »
    Plenty of intolerance in ireland, Germans have told me that the way Irish people talk about travellers was the same as gypsys and jews received in the 20/30s.

Travellers and Gypsys don't get away with the same things in Germany and the rest of Europe that they get away with here (same with politicians). In that respect we are super tolerant. We even have to endure being called intolerant so much that the word is losing it's meaning.

As for the inbreeding, it is more of a rural thing and you might not have come across it yet. It is rather alarming when you do, not as common now but not unusual a few generations back.

Another ridiculous comment catbear, sorry! Do not compare jewish people in 1920s / 30s Germany to Irish travellers. I graduated with a degree in landscape Design many years ago. I have been plagued by theft over the years by traveller men. Power tools mainly. And yes it is them. I lost a total of €3540 as a result. And the garda know who took them but could not retrieve my property because they were so protected. Bullsh*t! You talk about inbreeding??? Traveller families do not let their young people marry outside their communities still? Don't make me laugh! And enquire to womens aid and ask how many battered women they receive at the hands of traveller men. I'll stop there as this thread is not supposed to be about traveller people who come as good, bad and ugly like the rest of us.

Methinks certain folk are on here that are not happy in their lives right now right here? So they take it out on the country and its people? Ireland does not have an extreme right wing? A national front so to speak, Germany has! as do France and the UK etc. Irish people are generally soft, maybe too soft at times (current imf situation). I'm mixed race and never had a problem here. Great people!

Ginko, sounds like your tolerance is just about gone. Got a pair of jackboots?

I heard there is widespread intolerance in Australia but it's stooping to that level to use it against the entire people.
    Yeah I do find people piss themselves to say Ireland is really intolerant - more of the self flagellation it seems. Yes there are pockets of Ireland stuck in the past, and there are bigots and racism - like anywhere, but racism is not a colossal problem here. If someone says it is, examples of a widespread pattern please.
    Yes Catbear, there is some inbreeding I'm sure. It's not exactly the West Virginia mountains either though...

Ginko, sounds like your tolerance is just about gone. Got a pair of jackboots?

I don't think anyone should be expected to tolerate their livelihood being put in danger due to theft. In fact I would expect anyone in such a situation in a recession when work is harder to come by to have a very human response and be extremely angry.

My point is if Ginko wants to say things they like about Irish people then maybe they should start a thread about that. This thread isn't about that. It's called "what do you hate about Irish people."

Ginko, group hug, feel the love. I'm sure your tools found a good home.

psychward wrote: »
    I don't think anyone should be expected to tolerate their livelihood being put in danger due to theft. In fact I would expect anyone in such a situation in a recession when work is harder to come by to have a very human response and be extremely angry.
    Blaming minority groups as a threat to Ginkos livelyhood is very intolerant but I do hear it everyday. "they took our jobs".

• Advertisement

Dudess wrote: »
    I heard there is widespread intolerance in Australia but it's stooping to that level to use it against the entire people.
    Yeah I do find people piss themselves to say Ireland is really intolerant - more of the self flagellation it seems. Yes there are pockets of Ireland stuck in the past, and there are bigots and racism - like anywhere, but racism is not a colossal problem here. If someone says it is, examples of a widespread pattern please.
    Yes Catbear, there is some inbreeding I'm sure. It's not exactly the West Virginia mountains either though...

hi dudess, re Australia, obviously not everybody is of that ilk! (1 million marched for aboriginal rights) Good, bad and ugly in every country. But I did come across intolerance pretty much at least every week over 5 years there. I've lived across Europe and the states, nowhere near as bad. Racist jokes and punch ups etc. I left 4 years ago so maybe it is changing for the better. I hope so. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement