Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you hate about Irish people

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Gingko

catbear wrote: »
    Blaming minority groups as a threat to Ginkos livelyhood is very intolerant but I do hear it everyday. "they took our jobs".

Blaming?? They stole my tools and the garda could do nothing about it because they are so well protected? Catbear are you in the real world or what? Oh and thanks for the hugs! Always welcome especially from a catbear! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

Blaming minority groups as a threat to Ginkos livelyhood is very intolerant but I do hear it everyday. "they took our jobs".

Very rarely would a traveller take your job considering most of them do not finish school.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

nothing us irish are a wonderful race

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

My point is if Ginko wants to say things they like about Irish people then maybe they should start a thread about that. This thread isn't about that. It's called "what do you hate about Irish people."

Ginko, group hug, feel the love. I'm sure your tools found a good home.
    Jeez you need to be more subtle with your wind-up technique. Gingko is clearly defending Irish people in general and if it was travellers who nicked his stuff, well that's just stating a fact. He also acknowledged there are plenty of good people who are travellers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Ginko, I'm actually a figment of your imagination. I am the voice in your head. You will not be able to sleep tonight because you'll be wondering if I'm really in your head. Nighty.

• Advertisement

Dudess wrote: »
    Jeez you need to be more subtle with your wind-up technique. Gingko is clearly defending Irish people in general and if it was travellers who nicked his stuff, well that's just stating a fact. He also acknowledged there are plenty of good people who are travellers.

Now I'm really feeling the love!! :D

I'd love a catbear.

Ginko, I'm actually a figment of your imagination. I am the voice in your head. You will not be able to sleep tonight because you'll be wondering if I'm really in your head. Nighty.

Actually Catbear I'll sleep like a baby as usual, but maybe someone who has nothing better to do then go online and wind people up for no reason has issues in their head that may prevent them from sleeping :D

I'd love a catbear.

So would I actually! sounds lovely! Would that be an Irish Catbear? purrrrrrrrrrrroar!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭worded

Culture? Culture is something societies console themselves with when forced indoors for too long by bad weather.
    Have we covered the inbreeding? That's pretty bad in rural parts.

Having a 6th finger is very handy for collecting glasses in de local pub.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

What I dont like about the Irish?

Everything that I dont like about non Irish

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭mise_me_fein3

Beer Baron wrote: »
    The downright disgusting GREED!

I don't really see this outside Dublin.

What's wrong with greed anyway? Is it the want to do better for yourself by working harder? No one themselves is actually greedy....it's the other guys, right? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Junco Partner

the begrudging and the self-loathing.

also the fact that we are not rising up and demonstrating in the streets en masse against the government and those eu puppetmaster cnuts. we're like blooming doormats.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭adomino

"What do you hate about Irish people?"

If someone on here initiated one of these threads:

"What do you hate about Polish people?"
    "What do you hate about Brazilian people?"
    "What do you hate about Italian people?"
    or
    "What do you hate about Greeks?"

What would happen? :confused: and curious

Well that's a different matter really isn't it?. This thread is for the gripes and criticism people have about their own culture, stuff everyone understands and relates too as we have all experienced the things people are giving out about. There's like a collective cultural irish experience that we have experienced and can point out problems with it. With other nationalities we don't understand we didn't grow up in the same country we can't possibly hope to understand any of the gripes a for example polish person would have about their fellow countrymen/women. Too attempt to give out about something we don' know/understand is ridiculous and it would just come across as ignorant/racism born out of the hatred of "those who aren't like us"
    You can criticise and bitch about your own culture all y ou want cause it's yours to put down. you cant put down someone elses you haven't experienced it. it's like in america, and i know i'll probably have some pc brigade member jump on me for this, where african-americans are free to call each other the n-word as its all part of their collective experience but other races cannot, its the history of the words derogatory use by other races,whites especially.

unless of course the OP is a non national and he's trying to instigate a racist war on boards :pac:

i love being irish, i love myself, i love sunbeds, i love plucking my eyebrows, i love chasing different gals every weekend and not being myself, i love clean work, i love creatine for breakfast so my arms turn to rubber and i can chance them for the day, i just love being irish!

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

will never hate any group of people purely for being from a particular group but there are some things that personaly hate that come from ireland.
    -bogger music.
    its country music from certain parts of ireland if memory serves correct,but am not the one who called it that,all the relatives including dad [from tipp] and mum [from donegal] call it that.
    anyway,have grown up being mentaly scarred by that music :P ,urgh,just as well he has an ipod now.

unless of course the OP is a non national and he's trying to instigate a racist war on boards
    it woudnt be racist if someone was aiming hate towards an irish person as being irish a nationality as opposed to race,itd be xenophobic.
    itd be pretty silly and kamikaze of a 'racist' or troll to try and work up racism on a irish board anyway,theyre on an irish board so it the onus is on them to leave,and if theyre trolling its so obvious it needs pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭AeoNGriM

the underclass who resent anything those of us who are well off have.

i also hate the povs who support english soccer. it just looks embarassing to me.

i hate the mindset of those who follow gaa religiously

Yeah, man. People liking stuff. How dare they?! Who do they think they are?!!

f0ggy92 wrote: »
    Well that's a different matter really isn't it?. This thread is for the gripes and criticism people have about their own culture, stuff everyone understands and relates too as we have all experienced the things people are giving out about. There's like a collective cultural irish experience that we have experienced and can point out problems with it. With other nationalities we don't understand we didn't grow up in the same country we can't possibly hope to understand any of the gripes a for example polish person would have about their fellow countrymen/women. Too attempt to give out about something we don' know/understand is ridiculous and it would just come across as ignorant/racism born out of the hatred of "those who aren't like us"
    You can criticise and bitch about your own culture all y ou want cause it's yours to put down. you cant put down someone elses you haven't experienced it. it's like in america, and i know i'll probably have some pc brigade member jump on me for this, where african-americans are free to call each other the n-word as its all part of their collective experience but other races cannot, its the history of the words derogatory use by other races,whites especially.

unless of course the OP is a non national and he's trying to instigate a racist war on boards :pac:
    Don't get why the apparent PC brigade would have a problem with what you say above. While you say a person can put down their own culture all they like, as someone says a few posts back "it's always the other guy isn't it, never you" and I'm still stumped at the complaining about us not rioting. What's stopping them doing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,045 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I was in a rural kebab shop and a man of +35 years entered and approached the counter and uttered these words to the staff

"are you'se lads libyan lads? jaysus them boys be torturin and everything over there...do yis like gaddaffi do yis?" etc..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Arfan

The fact that I'm not the last of them.

Don't get why the apparent PC brigade would have a problem with what you say above. While you say a person can put down their own culture all they like, as someone says a few posts back "it's always the other guy isn't it, never you" and I'm still stumped at the complaining about us not rioting. What's stopping them doing it?
    not rioting leave that to the scum in london i mean demonstrating.
    i was just exxagerating a bit on the pc thing although im not to far off haha.

f0ggy92 wrote: »

yea right, so i was born in ireland, parents move to canada when i was 7, moved to germany (where my dads from) at 18, now living in dublin, so... my question to you is... the one i just posted before yours!

i think its time for a 'greek' thread, in after hours anything goes and rightly so :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I can't think of anything I hate about Irish people that couldn't at least be applied to individuals from other countries.

Let's take AH as a cross-section of Irish society (and who wouldn't want to do that?) and see if we can pinpoint what the Irish character is and what we all hate about it (doubtless we'll find a lot of begrudgery!).

Over the last few days I've read or taken part in interesting discussions about reading, grammar, styrofoam aeroplanes, punctuality and dog names, to mention but a few.

I can't think of any overall way to describe the Irish character based on all of the posts in these threads. They're simply too varied.

There were some wonderfully written and argued posts, some idiotic ones, some glib remarks and some downright incomprehensible posts.

So I guess overall I'd have to say the Irish are witty, unfunny, smart, stupid, charming, dull, arrogant, self-effacing, open-minded, defensive, well-read, anti-intellectual, racist, welcoming, cool and embarrassing.

Yeah, I think that's us in a nutshell.

(Though I couldn't find much evidence of begrudgery.)

Edit to add: We are very relaxed, too relaxed at times, but I don't feel strongly enough about that to say I hate it. In fact, that attitude has both pluses and minuses.

I also like that people automatically like my accent and freckles, despite my numerous physical, social and psychological defects.

I can't think of anything I hate about Irish people that couldn't at least be applied to individuals from other countries.

So I guess overall I'd have to say the Irish are witty, unfunny, smart, stupid, charming, dull, arrogant, self-effacing, open-minded, defensive, well-read, anti-intellectual, racist, welcoming, cool and embarrassing.

so you don't hate us for being racist, well thats us told

the pc brigadiers wouldn't have anything to riot about, sure ain't it all grand

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

adomino wrote: »
    so you don't hate us for being racist, well thats us told

Eh no, I don't hate the Irish for being racist because we're not a racist culture overall. I hate racist individuals and I find they can be found among probably literally every nationality on the planet.
    That was my point: to say that we're a very varied bunch of people, not all of whom are racist.

To say "The Irish are racist." would be wrong and hypocritical.

To say "Some Irish people are racist." would be true, and "Irish" in that sentence could be replaced with any nationality.

adomino wrote: »
    , so... my question to you is... the one i just posted before yours! :D
    I think those threads would go the way of every message board and youtube comments pages when an inkling of race is introduced. The few people having a reasoned discussion will be drowned out by the racists who seem to multiply and crawl out of the woodwork when you bring internet anonyminity into the equation.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,002 ✭✭✭✭bnt

This thread title hints at one problem I have: "What do you hate about Irish people". "Hate" is the wrong word for this, it betrays a kind of "black and white" thinking. You either love stuff or hate it, and nothing in-between.

This doesn't happen only in Ireland, of course, but I see more of this "binary thinking" here than most other places. I don't hate it, though: it's an annoyance, no more. :p

PS: There is something about Irish people I do hate though, and it has to do with your use of questions in speech. You ask questions when you don't actually want an answer. Examples:

"How are you?" as a greeting, but you don't actually want to know how I am; I made the mistake of answering that question when I first moved here, actually telling people how I was, and they thought I was needy or something. No - I was just answering the question honestly. If you don't want to know how I am, don't ask me how I am!

"Are you sure?" when you actually mean criticism. I'll describe a plan to someone, and get "are you sure?" in response. Er... I am as sure as I could be about the plan, why else would I describe it? To waste your time? Well, I've learned that "are you sure?" is really a way of expressing a criticism of the plan, but you don't want to come right out and say it, because ... I don't know - would that be considered rude or something? So I have to go through this song and dance just to get to the actual criticism of the plan. I wish people could come straight out and say what they mean, rather than try to push it back on me by asking questions. It is possible to express an opinion politely, people, without getting all passive-aggressive about it ... you already have my opinion, so if you have one, don't ask me "are you sure?" without telling me what it is! :rolleyes:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

bnt wrote: »
    This thread title hints at one problem I have: "What do you hate about Irish people". "Hate" is the wrong word for this, it betrays a kind of "black and white" thinking. You either love stuff or hate it, and nothing in-between.

It's like the loaded question used in fallacious arguments: ''Are you still beating your wife ?''

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement