Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you hate about Irish people

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Elba101

I've lived in many places and I've never found people to be as friendly or willing to help as they are in Ireland. And yeah, I've come across some Irish arseholes too, but the there's a lot more people willing to help you then not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭ZombieBride

The begrudgery, Irish people seem to have that nailed, I think it was an extra ingredient in the porridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭teaandtoast

What is sad about alot of Irish people is that for whatever reasons many of them don't use their heads. This might be because they haven't learned how to use their heads to think, it's not entirely their fault though, may be something to do with the education system and society here. I know ignorace is bliss, that has probably got something to do with it, people chose not to think and not use their own mind as well. They believe everything they are told without questioning and they believe everything that is on the news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭coonecb1

What is sad about alot of Irish people is that for whatever reasons many of them don't use their heads. This might be because they haven't learned how to use their heads to think, it's not entirely their fault though, may be something to do with the education system and society here. I know ignorace is bliss, that has probably got something to do with it, people chose not to think and not use their own mind as well. They believe everything they are told without questioning and they believe everything that is on the news.

Absolutely, the presidential election being a case in point. Majority of people were very easily swayed by the media. Maybe they should have thought through their choices beforehand, rather than just picking whoever the media left alone.

Btw, I voted Michael D, but was planning to all along. I knew exactly where I stood all along with the candidates.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Stocking Drinks Whiskey

Renn wrote: »
    Their obsession with GAA. And the constant wearing of their local club tracksuits.
    Irish play football by hands. GAA as a whole.

The GAA is of major cultural importance! I'd be angry if we didn't love the GAA as much as we do now.
    Cen92 wrote: »
    Knackers

Oh god yes.
    sup_dude wrote: »
    What I hate is other countries trying to do our accent! First of all, Ireland has so many accents that ya could go 5 miles down the road and find a different one and second, honestly, even with our many accents, majority of fake ones, I've never heard!
    Mickeroo wrote: »
    Most countries have a variety of accents. having said that, irish accents in american films are often shocking.

Yes, that absolutely wrecks my head.
    The obsession with english football.

I'm pretty sure you'll find that such an obsession is found in many countries.
    begrudgery!

also, i hate that we are a nation of bleeding hearts

Strongly agreed with this, it annoys me greatly.
    Yep, the constant fishing for compliments! You see it all the time in TV interviews of foreign stars: 'how are you enjoying Ireland?/ what do you think of Ireland?'

The person is forced into some trite compliment.

Cringe!

People do that in every country.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

The inferiority complex among some people which leads to threads like this

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Mensch Maschine

No.

Also, I don't trust anyone who says they don't like anything about their own people. I call bull****.

I cringe when Irish people abroad think they're the cheese about the whole drinking thing. Or try claim someone to be Irish, usually some celeb with a great Grandfather was Irish. "Oh he's, Irish, did ya know dat!?"

Also, like someone mentioned already, Irish presenters fishing for compliments. "What's your favourite thing about Ireland."

Cringe central.

All you go to do is reverse the roles. If some **** from France was saying, we're the best at this and what do you think of that you'd tell them to drink vaginal discharge from an AIDS-ridden elderly leper.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭fran oconnor

How many in this thread are even Irish??.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Mensch Maschine

I take it this one will be locked mods??..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

Most certainly :rolleyes:

Slag your own ... or the Romanian gypsies. Not anyone else.
    Should be added to the charter rules on here. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭ballsacky

The mods should ban you two fcukwits while they're at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

LighterGuy wrote: »
    Most certainly :rolleyes:

Slag your own ... or the Romanian gypsies. Not anyone else.
    Should be added to the charter rules on here. :rolleyes:

Neither of you post in this thread again unless you have something to add to the topic.

Got a problem with a post/thread?

Report it or pm a mod.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

ballsacky wrote: »
    The mods should ban you two fcukwits while they're at it.

Don't post in this thread again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Taxi drivers in Dublin especially, they all doom and gloom :rolleyes:

STIG83 wrote: »
    Taxi drivers in Dublin especially, they all doom and gloom :rolleyes:
    I don't think so, i find most of the drivers i get to be spot on and happy to be working away. I fully understand how some of them felt ripped off tbh.. I find 95% of them put on a great service.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Refusal to take the blame for their own Financial mistakes. A bit of common sense never went astray, Blaming The Banks and Fianna Fail my Arse..

Refusal to take the blame for their own Financial mistakes. A bit of common sense never went astray, Blaming The Banks and Fianna Fail my Arse..
    Well, aren't most people like that not just taxi drivers??..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

f0ggy92 wrote: »
    it's like in america, and i know i'll probably have some pc brigade member jump on me for this, where african-americans are free to call each other the n-word as its all part of their collective experience but other races cannot, its the history of the words derogatory use by other races,whites especially.
    Black people in the US can use the word nigger, but its not intended in a derogatory fashion, in the same way as I can call someone an oul bastard and buy them a drink.

If on the other hand a black American was purchasing black slaves with a bullwhip hanging from his belt while using that word, it would be a different story entirely.

Its quite possible for a person to be racist against their own culture. All it usually means is they haven't the strength of character or confidence to stand on their own merits, and need instead to put down large groups of unrelated people on mostly imaginary grounds in order to feel good about their own miserable continued existence.

Its 50-50 whether this thread is that or a troll though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

you mean like the bank guarantee?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Cathaoirleach

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    a person to be racist against their own culture.

*xenophobic

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

*xenophobic
    It means my size tens in the seat of someone's britches whatever you want to call it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭bayern282

The fact that people ( not everybody of course ) think they can form opinions about others without any prior conversation or interaction with them, superficiality in short.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

I don't think so, i find most of the drivers i get to be spot on and happy to be working away. I fully understand how some of them felt ripped off tbh.. I find 95% of them put on a great service.
    You must be a taxi driver fran.

mackeire wrote: »
    You must be a taxi driver fran.
    No, not a Taxi driver. I just don't get this bollox that all the do is give out..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

That no matter what weather we have we will always moan about it.

It's cold we want it hot.
    It's hot it's then too hot so we want it cold.

Fook sake

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

I hate the it'll do grand attitude in this country. Mediocrity permeates every level of our society.

This country has produced some world class people but most leave because this country still values the cute hoor more.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Gingko

Well folks! We still live in a beautiful country with plenty of freedom! Why don't you lot head off to the states for a bit? Live in a morally screwed up controlled police state? Or hey what about Australia? Completely soulless and making all the old mistakes of squandering resources etc. Or an overcrowded and over regulated UK perhaps?

Ireland is a great country, with beautiful traditions and friendly people. There are certain traits to the culture that are not so nice like general insincerity and alcohol abuse but if you wake up and make the most of this beautiful land then this can be your Celtic paradise! I'm a surfer and I also mountain climb and I am about to get into permaculture and to be honest no where that I have been is better! I'm even going to get funded to go to college again! Where else can I get a free education? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭wtgorilla

Irish are good people really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

That no matter what weather we have we will always moan about it.

It's cold we want it hot.
    It's hot it's then too hot so we want it cold.

Fook sake
    But it's not like there are only two temperatures, hot and cold, with nothing in between. If it's too hot, like in 2006, we don't have air conditioning. People hardly wanted it cold, just a few degrees cooler.

Can't see what's so unreasonable about people not wanting it to be as cold as it was last winter either.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement