Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you hate about Irish people

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

That no matter what weather we have we will always moan about it.

It's cold we want it hot.
    It's hot it's then too hot so we want it cold.

Fook sake

To be fair though it's the same be you Irish, Scots, Welsh or English:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    I hate the it'll do grand attitude in this country. Mediocrity permeates every level of our society.

Shure don't be worrying it'll be grand like. ~

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭foodie66

owenc wrote: »
    They're accents, seen them up in bushmills today you should've heard them, first of all its not portbalintra its portbalintray... and secondly its not tree its three!

It's THEIR :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭tweedledee

I hate that sooo many Irish people think it's ok to leave their dogs shyte all over the place, disgusting, yup it's the filth of the place I don't like.:mad:

Ireland isn't perfect, it's far from perfect these days, and sometimes it's hard to stay positive when we are listening to nothing but negativity. I complain about the weather, the politicians, the cutbacks etc just like everyone else

But i know one thing, if i ever had to move away i'd miss this place like crazy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Achtung! Bono

tweedledee wrote: »
    I hate that sooo many Irish people think it's ok to leave their dogs shyte all over the place, disgusting, yup it's the filth of the place I don't like.:mad:

Agreed. Visited and lived in many major cities in the world and never seen the like as i've seen in Dublin regarding the shyte all over the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

The whiny little hipster ****s who go on about censorship etc in an attempt to pretend we're really repressed here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

I hate how the fallback conversation in small talk is the weather. Always the bloody weather. And theres rarely any decent proper weather to talk about either (save the floods or last years snow) its just 'ah sure its fierce mild out there today'... Euuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

I hate the way Irish people make really loud slurping noises when they eat soup.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Dudess wrote: »
    Can't see what's so unreasonable about people not wanting it to be as cold as it was last winter either.
    You're looking for reason in this thread?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭fat__tony

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    I hate the it'll do grand attitude in this country. Mediocrity permeates every level of our society.

This country has produced some world class people but most leave because this country still values the cute hoor more.

This.

It absolutely sickens me as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭couldntthink

people constantly going on and on about recession and depression. the majority of people that are complaining aren't even affected by it, or not affected in a big way at least. It's like everyone jumps on the bandwagon of complaining. Fcuk sake, get over it, our negative attitude isn't going to solve anything.

And also a lot of Irish people have something in their heads telling them not to give anyone any information. I've seen it a hundred times. You can ask a simple question just trying to get to know someone and they give you a really vague or elusive answer. Like you're after the valuable intelligence information of their lives. Knob heads, those kinds of people. Get over yourself, nobody really cares, it's called conversation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭muracan

The inability of us to forget...especially the bad!Always the bad!

eg. Paddy opens and closes a shop in 1963.
    Over the next 50 years he builds a totally different empire, employing hundreds, donating most to charity etc.
    He dies, and someone at the funeral will always mention,"didn't Paddy open a shop back in 1963.....never made a go of it though!We knew it wouldn't work"

And also a lot of Irish people have something in their heads telling them not to give anyone any information. I've seen it a hundred times. You can ask a simple question just trying to get to know someone and they give you a really vague or elusive answer. Like you're after the valuable intelligence information of their lives. Knob heads, those kinds of people. Get over yourself, nobody really cares, it's called conversation.

Never noticed that before tbh. What kind of questions do you be asking? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Sherbertlemon

fecking god, what is your problem whats wrong with a country with a bit of atmosphere or charechter!!
    your pathetic people who dont have lifeees unlike us BAIIIIIZZ

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    I hate the way Irish people make really loud slurping noises when they eat soup.
    In Japan that's actually considered good manners, showing that you enjoy the soup!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

I hate zombie thread revivalists

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

fecking god, what is your problem whats wrong with a country with a bit of atmosphere or charechter!!
    your pathetic people who dont have lifeees unlike us BAIIIIIZZ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_mDTLphIVY

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

We are a shower of dirty bastards, litter and chewing gum everywhere, but that is getting better in the last few years but still has a bit to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

Yep, the constant fishing for compliments! You see it all the time in TV interviews of foreign stars: 'how are you enjoying Ireland?/ what do you think of Ireland?'

The person is forced into some trite compliment.

Cringe!

i reckon the late late show is actually financed by the irish tourist board 'so random famous person, do you like Ireland, have you any irish blood, we're great craic? arent we great craic? TELL US we're great craic? '

and we hate to cause offense and often say yes when we mean no to avoid a confrontation.

other than that we're a decent bunch!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

paky wrote: »
    i hate the way irish people exaggerate there accents when abroad or when even in the north. its so sad and pathetic

I've spotted this as well, there's a particular sort of Irish person in London whose entire world is Harrow/Mayo or Greenford/Cork and wouldn't know their way around Dublin, other parts of the UK or mainland Europe, usually to be found in some down at heel boozer in a no-mark London suburb constantly living up to the stereotype of what being Irish is all about.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,244 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

The self-loathing.

Oh, wait...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Hallyington

People that need to add "Lad,Boi or kid" to the end of every sentence

• Registered Users Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭maninasia

Gingko wrote: »
    Well folks! We still live in a beautiful country with plenty of freedom! Why don't you lot head off to the states for a bit? Live in a morally screwed up controlled police state? Or hey what about Australia? Completely soulless and making all the old mistakes of squandering resources etc. Or an overcrowded and over regulated UK perhaps?

Ireland is a great country, with beautiful traditions and friendly people. There are certain traits to the culture that are not so nice like general insincerity and alcohol abuse but if you wake up and make the most of this beautiful land then this can be your Celtic paradise! I'm a surfer and I also mountain climb and I am about to get into permaculture and to be honest no where that I have been is better! I'm even going to get funded to go to college again! Where else can I get a free education? :D

Who is paying for your education, nothing is free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

We celebrate mediocrity, hide behind the glory of long dead generations, we drink too much and we think everyone loves us. They don't. If anything we're a source of constant amusement. "oh those silly Irish! What will they say/do/**** up next?"

We are woeful at football yet can't admit it and go along with the bull**** every time a tournament takes place and ignore all other sports. But hey, Katie Taylor won gold! Ain't she deadly? Never heard of her nor cared about her, never gave a toss about boxing or even the fact that women (shock!) do it too but yay! Gold! Ya know who won that medal? Katie, not us. We had **** all to do with the blood, sweat and tears it took to achieve that honour, but we'll ****in well act like we did!

We pretend bad **** isn't happening until we can't hide it anymore. Catholic church a prime example. So many reasons to tell this country to go **** itself.

Cue the "why don't you leave if you don't like it" wanker. Why should I? It's my home too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

maninasia wrote: »
    Gingko wrote: »
    Well folks! We still live in a beautiful country with plenty of freedom! Why don't you lot head off to the states for a bit? Live in a morally screwed up controlled police state? Or hey what about Australia? Completely soulless and making all the old mistakes of squandering resources etc. Or an overcrowded and over regulated UK perhaps?

Ireland is a great country, with beautiful traditions and friendly people. There are certain traits to the culture that are not so nice like general insincerity and alcohol abuse but if you wake up and make the most of this beautiful land then this can be your Celtic paradise! I'm a surfer and I also mountain climb and I am about to get into permaculture and to be honest no where that I have been is better! I'm even going to get funded to go to college again! Where else can I get a free education? :D

Who is paying for your education, nothing is free.

It's not even free at the point of use. Registration fees killed that off.

If you want free education then go to a Scottish university as a EU citizen. Not one in Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

As a proud Irishman I find us generally decent and good natured with a great sense of humour..

On the flip side there's the sneakiness, begrudgery, I'm all right jack mentality, cute hoorism, always trying to be one up on each other, cliqueiness(if you don't fit in may god help you), and of course the whole drinking too much thing.

No nation is perfect of course :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

paky wrote: »
    i hate the way irish people exaggerate there accents when abroad or when even in the north. its so sad and pathetic

You used to see those families in Newry where the father, mother and two children have each worn their GAA tops up North in case anyone is in any doubt as to where they come from.

The three trolleys full of cider would have given it away to be honest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

The general insecurity of Irish people is something I hate. It crystallises itself with the excessive drinking, over politeness when sober, anger when drunk, begrudgery of those who are successful and the fishing for complements thing someone else mentioned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

owenc wrote: »
    They're accents, seen them up in bushmills today you should've heard them, first of all its not portbalintra its portbalintray... and secondly its not tree its three!
    And its not 'they're' its their!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement