Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you hate about Irish people

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

Our merchants and the professional classes are greed bastards.

Rip off Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

The expense of the supermarkets and opinion masquerading as fact

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

Any mouth breathing fukwit who calls Dublin people "West Brits".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

What I dont like about Ireland is you have to be part of clicks, I play rugby and soccer but I dont go out of my way to hang out with the lads I play with and coaches who train, this in turn has meant when it comes to playing the coaches pick the lads who they are friends with first, another thing I dont like is the fact that the girls in my town have the small town mentality where guys build them up into thinking they are super models and that they can say what they want to people and cant have anything said back to them and lastly guys always seem mad for a fight over totally nothing, saying that this is my home town and possibly not an irish thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭opti0nal

queue jumping
    sloppy driving - not indicating, jumping amber lights, speeding
    walking around wearing big headphones
    wearing any headphones in shops
    leaving a basket at supermarket checkout and then wandering off to get more stuff
    texting while walking - making everyone get out of the way
    giving long complicated orders in Starbucks
    thinking Starbucks is cool
    feet on seats on the Dart
    downloading pirated music/movies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,081 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

opti0nal wrote: »
    feet on seats on the Dart
    completely agree, its a reason for bringing back guards/conductors on trains.
    downloading pirated music/movies

not unique to the irish, if someone can get something for free they will in most cases take it. now days with music being downloaded i suppose people don't see a point in paying for it where as with cd or vinyl your getting something to treasure for your money.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭dhmusic

I would consider myself a Dubliner and no more, couldn't give a **** about the rest of this backward swamp. Bring back the Pale I say.

Bandwagonism.

The Professional class.

Your Ma.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

O.P. iRISH People have wonderful traits that are peculiarly our own but you need to live and work in in international environment to make ANY judgements .So what qualifications have you ????????

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Bluessucker

Irish are just a remains of paleolit people - primitive in all meanings!
    Stupid,greedy,malevolent,lazy,nasty,pesky boggers!
    They are some sort of parasites who just consume,but do not bring nothing good to this world! Nothing but problems and frustration to others!
    Irish must be sent to the North- or South Pole so they extinct faster!
    They are a shame for the whole human race!
    Primitive amoebas!

mod:

banned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭hiram

dhmusic wrote: »
    I would consider myself a Dubliner and no more, couldn't give a **** about the rest of this backward swamp. Bring back the Pale I say.

Bandwagonism.

The Professional class.

Your Ma.

What a fantastic idea!! I can imagine the benefits of isolating Dublin from the other 3.5 million of us in Ireland. Excellent stuff. Oh, and my Ma is dead and I am a Professional.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭hiram

They are some sort of parasites who just consume,but do not bring nothing good to this world! Nothing but problems and frustration to others!
    Primitive amoebas!

Looking at your other posts, racism seems to be your thing. An underlying trait in all of your posts over in other threads. Terminal 2 is that way....Bud.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

I don’t hate my own race but there are lots of things I dislike about it those being,
    1. The begrudgery, anything positive that happens gets a negative response.

2. The way we give England stick about the last 800 years yet most blokes bawl when Chelsea, Liverpool or whatever lose a major game and they talk about football constantly. Wrecks my head.

3. The way Irish students think they are something special if they are the first person in their family to make it to 3rd level education, when they aren't! They just happened to have been born in the right decade. It wouldn’t have been the norm 15-20 years ago for a lot of people clever or not.

4. Some Irish people are very unaccepting of a shop's policy. I will give an example, I worked in a supermarket for 2 years, we had this policy that if customers spent over €10 and if they present their car park ticket at the till they would get €1 off their bill to pay for 1 hour of parking. We had to take the ticket, mark it with a pen with our operator number and give it back and take the euro off the bill. We had a sign outside the shop and at the entrance to the car park explaining what they had to do, and an announcement was played on a loop in the shop. The policy was strict and no exceptions were to be made, yet customers (a lot of them repeat customers that knew they needed the ticket) that left their car park ticket in the car and felt the need to bitch and moan and call me a prick when I say "Sorry I can’t give you money off if you haven’t got your ticket" They do all this and make me feel like the bad guy for the sake of a euro! I mean many times I wanted to say “f**k off ya forgetful cheaparse!” Instead I stand there smiling and apologizing like an idiot at the customer. In any other country the customer would accept it graciously and get on with their day. So glad I'm not working there anymore.

5. The way if I want to skip going to mass (I very rarely go, usually kicking and screaming at Christmas time to keep my mother happy!) most older Irish people would call you a "Pagan" for not going. I heard the story a million times in school, why do I have to hear it again. Plus the whole stand up, sit down, kneel thing is tedious. Ever notice that loads of people get the kneel downs wrong and sit down and then sneakily kneel thinking nobody saw them? Does be funny!

6. Ever see most young Irish peoples Facebook pages? I am talking say people aged between 18-25. Is it just me noticing that under the hobbies or description of the person he/she always have "Getting drunk" or "Getting locked" or just plain "drinkin" etc. as a pastime, hobby or activity. I find it annoying and I'm 23 like! I enjoy a few drinks as much as the next person, I go out on average every second weekend, it’s the attitude to it is what I hate.

7. Bogger musicians in pubs, You know the ones that walk in with a keyboard that plays a shyte sounding backing track and they stand there with a microphone singing some ballad which to me sounds like nails on a blackboard, and the people in the pub mostly aged 50+ say "He is very talented" Facepalm*

8. The way bacon, cabbage and spuds is Irish people's favorite meal. Am I the only person that doesn't like bacon? Salty and fatty as hell and is totally overrated. I call it a farmers dinner!

9. Skangers : They made life a misery for my 5 years of secondary school.

10. The way Irish women are becoming more and more “annoyingly Americanised” or going on like a cast member from Towie, Jersey Shore or any other of them shyte programmes and referring to each other as “Babe” a lot of them are easy to spot, usually covered from head to toe in fake tan, spray tan. I mean why bother with a fake tan/spray tan? Being tanned doesn’t really suit us, if you want a week in the sun and get a little colour fair enough, but having a year long tan in Ireland is fooling nobody.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭FionnK86

Fùckin Cavan people, cant stand them and their lakes:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sweeney1971

Not all BUT middle age Irish Women who really think they are somebody by talking down to people with a different accent than theirs, then putting on airs and graces, pushing past and never saying thankyou when you hold the door open for them. Forced to listen to two of these in a shop putting a posh accent on talking about Gay Burn and how wonderful he is!

I find the younger generation alot more polite and well mannered.

Oh and the stae of the driving on the roads, they drive like they are on dodgem cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭MHalberstram

SPeople don't know the meaning of service in this country

Very few people have manners

Proper etiquette is non-existent

People slag off English and Americans yet lap up the materialistic aspects of their culture

Excessive materialism

Young women aping shows like Sex and the City and dressing like they are in downtown Manhattan every time they step outside the door. Sorry but in Limerick in the pissing rain you just look like a hooker at the best of times.

The snobbery around designer labels in Ireland, especially when said designer labels like Tommy Hilfiger and Ralph Lauren are cheap in the states. When people in the states talk about designer labels I can assure you Tommy Hilfiger is rarely mentioned with any kind of adoration like you'd see here. Especially when you can regularly pick up their jeans for $20-30. Designer here means $300 and up.

The almost non-existent dating scene. Mauling someone at the end of the night in some ****ty niteclub is not dating.

Starbucks is ****. Again snobbery associated with it here like it is exclusive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

We celebrate mediocrity, hide behind the glory of long dead generations, we drink too much and we think everyone loves us. They don't. If anything we're a source of constant amusement. "oh those silly Irish! What will they say/do/**** up next?"

We are woeful at football yet can't admit it and go along with the bull**** every time a tournament takes place and ignore all other sports. But hey, Katie Taylor won gold! Ain't she deadly? Never heard of her nor cared about her, never gave a toss about boxing or even the fact that women (shock!) do it too but yay! Gold! Ya know who won that medal? Katie, not us. We had **** all to do with the blood, sweat and tears it took to achieve that honour, but we'll ****in well act like we did!

We pretend bad **** isn't happening until we can't hide it anymore. Catholic church a prime example. So many reasons to tell this country to go **** itself.

Cue the "why don't you leave if you don't like it" wanker. Why should I? It's my home too.

Still, though, I left it and I dont hate it as much as you. And Ireland did pretty well in the Olympics, relative to size.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Primitive amoebas!

banned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

What do you hate about Irish people

I suppose it's the national conceit that in Ireland, unlike most national identities in the world, you can have a national identity but not speak your own language.

Every country has drunks and fools of various types. But the outstanding mark of the Irish people is now lip service to Irishness, while being primarily English in culture. It is when foreigners have said to me that the Irish really are no different to the British by virtue of rejecting their own language and speaking their coloniser's language that I've cringed.

It will be a cold day in hell when Irish people generally put effort into being Irish/learning Irish, when lip service to Irishness costs no effort. That is without doubt the central hypocrisy of modern-day Irishness. Lazy docile bastards, the modern "Irish".

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Primitive amoebas!

mod:

banned
    Classic daftness mind you. :D Then again I do have 4% paleolithic DNA so maybe there's something to all this? Hmmm *scratches browridges*
    Seanchai wrote: »
    I suppose it's the national conceit that in Ireland, unlike most national identities in the world, you can have a national identity but not speak your own language.
    The true national conceit is the idea that it's our language anymore for the vast majority of yes Irish people. The conceit of signs few can read, government documents and company missives through the post that few can read and go straight to the english side, telly programmes that few can understand without subtitles, there's your cultural conceit. Get TG4 to switch off their subtitle machinery for a month and watch their ratings, such as they are crash through the floor. Shít one of the producers of Ros Na Run had publicly admitted they find it incredibly difficult to find male actors with conversational Irish. There's your conceit.
    Every country has drunks and fools of various types. But the outstanding mark of the Irish people is now lip service to Irishness, while being primarily English in culture.
    Outstanding mark eh? You do realise you'll hear enough French and Spanish and Italian and yes even English people complaining their kids/people are primarily American in culture even when they're speaking their local languages. Shít some ancient Greeks were whining that some of their kids were becoming too Roman. Long oul history of that you know.
    It is when foreigners have said to me that the Irish really are no different to the British by virtue of rejecting their own language and speaking their coloniser's language that I've cringed.
    Jayzuz you're easily cringed. Just by virtue of the language? My what the narrow focus you have. Irish teacher?
    It will be a cold day in hell when Irish people generally put effort into being Irish/learning Irish, when lip service to Irishness costs no effort. That is without doubt the central hypocrisy of modern-day Irishness. Lazy docile bastards, the modern "Irish".
    Yea you see cultures don't work like that. They nearly always follow the path of least resistance balanced agin the path of most value. If a culture starts to require too much effort it's effectively admitting it's own demise or cultural ghettoisation. If you're actively putting effort into belonging to your culture and that effort is as much a 19th century notion of your culture then you're kinda on a hiding to nothing.

I struggle to find something I hate about Irish people TBH. Dislike or suspicious off yea. Maybe a few things; our odd propensity to vote for/support without question "cute hoors" and downright crooks, our reputation as "rebel Irish" that is more fantasy than truth, we're remarkably compliant and stuff like above where others have decided to set in cultural stone what it means to be Irish for the rest of us.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

zcorpian88 wrote: »
    8. The way bacon, cabbage and spuds is Irish people's favorite meal. Am I the only person that doesn't like bacon? Salty and fatty as hell and is totally overrated. I call it a farmers dinner!

"A farmers dinner!" :pac:

Bacon, cabbage and spuds is a deadly plate of slop.

Incidentally it seems like it's only Irish people who wash down their meals with a glass of milk. Just saying, like.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

wearing any headphones in shops

What is wrong with this and why does it annoy you?
    leaving a basket at supermarket checkout and then wandering off to get more stuff

I did this today :D It felt damn good!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

I hate how needlessly spitefull and petty some Irish people can be.

I go on holidays, come back, and go down the pub for a quiet drink.
    Some tosser asks me a direct question on how my holiday went, and proceeds to answer my response with "well for some".

The best response to that is "yeah, it was great, you should try it sometime".
    Works a charm.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭mightdomighty

owenc wrote: »
    They're accents, seen them up in bushmills today you should've heard them, first of all its not portbalintra its portbalintray... and secondly its not tree its three!

Just like it should be "Their accents" instead of "They're accents"?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

SPeople don't know the meaning of service in this country

Very few people have manners

Proper etiquette is non-existent

People slag off English and Americans yet lap up the materialistic aspects of their culture

Excessive materialism

Young women aping shows like Sex and the City and dressing like they are in downtown Manhattan every time they step outside the door. Sorry but in Limerick in the pissing rain you just look like a hooker at the best of times.

The snobbery around designer labels in Ireland, especially when said designer labels like Tommy Hilfiger and Ralph Lauren are cheap in the states. When people in the states talk about designer labels I can assure you Tommy Hilfiger is rarely mentioned with any kind of adoration like you'd see here. Especially when you can regularly pick up their jeans for $20-30. Designer here means $300 and up.

The almost non-existent dating scene. Mauling someone at the end of the night in some ****ty niteclub is not dating.

Starbucks is ****. Again snobbery associated with it here like it is exclusive.

I dont get your post. You're complaining about snobbery yet you then turn your nose up at Tommy Hilfiger, how women dress here, Starbucks, people spending less than $300 on jeans :confused:

They drink too much.:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

I hate the lack of hierarchy between the common man and the elite. There seems to be no fine line between both.
    Seanchai wrote: »

Every country has drunks and fools of various types. But the outstanding mark of the Irish people is now lip service to Irishness, while being primarily English in culture. It is when foreigners have said to me that the Irish really are no different to the British by virtue of rejecting their own language and speaking their coloniser's language that I've cringed.

If the United Kingdom ever ceases functioning as a political entity Irish people may start looking at themselves and start questioning why they are speaking English which may lead to a revival in the Irish language.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭MHalberstram

Motorist wrote: »
    I dont get your post. You're complaining about snobbery yet you then turn your nose up at Tommy Hilfiger, how women dress here, Starbucks, people spending less than $300 on jeans :confused:

I guess I didn't make myself clear. I'm not turning my nose up at those things. I'm annoyed at the way certain Irish people associate those things as being exclusive and superior and behave as such as a status symbol. The reality is that they are pretty ordinary products in the U.S. - if you behaved in the states like that about those products you'd be laughed at.

I wear Tommy Hilfiger jeans myself but I don't swagger around bragging that they cost me €120 in Brown Thomas. Yet a lot of Irish people have this attitude. I find it amusing because they are being ripped off in reality. I buy the same jeans for $30 in the states. I would also find anyone in the states bragging about $300 jeans (what is considered exclusive designer there) to be equally annoying.

I guess you could say it is the difference in what is considered a status symbol between the two countries in short. Bragging about either is daft IMO.

As for starbucks - my contention is that the coffee doesn't justify its status here as something wonderful amongst certain people. It is like a celebrity worship thing, not realising that you'd get a better coffee in the local independent coffee shop down the street.

The comment about Sex and City was that IMO a lot of Irish women inappropriately overdress in a misguided effort to be stylish. You don't have to be draped in the latest catwalk ensemble and designer stilettos when your just popping into town for a burger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

"Sahurda" , "buhhur" , "schpuds" "millons and billons"

Cork is the real capital nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Seannew1

Our time management is terrible and shameful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

Primitive amoebas!

ah comon, tell us what you really think!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement