Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you hate about Irish people

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 14 LanceStrong

The comment about Sex and City was that IMO a lot of Irish women inappropriately overdress in a misguided effort to be stylish. You don't have to be draped in the latest catwalk ensemble and designer stilettos when your just popping into town for a burger.
    They eat cupcakes too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

They eat cupcakes too!

i received a good few comments on irish womens "style" from foreign women.

Personally i dont know the difference, but apparrently they are quite **** at the whole style thing, from a belgian, french and polish girls .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 14 LanceStrong

Agree there. Always noticed the 'natural class' foreign women have compared with our Nualas and Gráines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Julius Seizure

Clapping when the plane lands.. in fact on that point complaining about Ryanair, the british don't give out as much about easyjet.

Complaining in general.

The way noone seems to be able to drive properly

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

neil_hosey wrote: »

Personally i dont know the difference, but apparrently they are quite **** at the whole style thing, from a belgian, french and polish girls .
    French I might take some account of. Entirely depending on the French woman in question of course. Go to the south of France if you want to see bad fashion squeezed onto (very)ample frames. Belgians I'd have no experience of, but can't recall them being lauded for being fashionable. Polish women like anywhere else can be very variable. Some have great style, others sport the stonewashed denim with mascara applied with a shovel with aplomb.

The fact is no matter where you go some women(and men) have a style about them and as many if not more don't. From Ireland to Botswana. I would say Italians tend to stand out IME. They seem to be able to throw together a stylish rig out, even if they've no inherent style of their own. Like a uniform they agree on in secret meetings. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Agree there. Always noticed the 'natural class' foreign women have compared with our Nualas and Gráines.
    I call utter bollocks on that, or at least rose tinted glasses worn on a sun holiday. The only "class" diff I've found is that Irish people, men and women get drunker and potentially more embarrassing because of it(the Brits the same. We're very similar on this front). But "Natural class" from "Foreign women"? IMH only guys who've not spent much time around same with an objective eye would come out with this opinion.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭MHalberstram

neil_hosey wrote: »

Well the French certainly have style, the Polish on the other hand are hit and miss.

Irish women really seem to struggle when it comes to shoes that fit. Watch the next time you see some young Irish woman struggling to walk properly in her latest designer shoes. More often than not they don't fit her, usually too big. It's hilarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

The over reliance on alcohol as a social lubricant, and those who think anyone who doesn’t drink is a weirdo and needs to be watched like a hawk for the night.

Wibbs wrote: »
    I call utter bollocks on that, or at least rose tinted glasses worn on a sun holiday. The only "class" diff I've found is that Irish people, men and women get drunker and potentially more embarrassing because of it(the Brits the same. We're very similar on this front). But "Natural class" from "Foreign women"? IMH only guys who've not spent much time around same with an objective eye would come out with this opinion.

How about our natural ability to make an arse out of ourselves when drunk. It is easy to see why some would then say that foreigners have a natural class in comparison. But as you say, it is more often than not a different attitude to alcohol which in turn, I find, affects other noticable qualities, like our affinity for swearing too much, neither of which is particularly attractive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

How about our natural ability to make an arse out of ourselves when drunk. It is easy to see why some would then say that foreigners have a natural class in comparison. But as you say, it is more often than not a different attitude to alcohol which in turn, I find, affects other noticable qualities, like our affinity for swearing too much, neither of which is particularly attractive.

True, that foreigners have a natural class, I worked in a hotel for a bit a few years ago and I noticed that Irish people when drunk more often than not (most not all) we can be very unreasonable, stubborn and just can be prick in general, can be a total burden on staff. I got a hard time off some punters mostly over not serving them drink when the bar closed at 2 or if they lost a ticket for the cloak room and they are just there pointing at it, but wouldn't give it to him until everybody else got theirs, and they would rather shout and bitch about it rather than wait 5 minutes. Used to like the foreign guests better at times I know it might sound like an awful thing to say but some Irish guests really can make your job difficult.

My father works in another hotel and he gets an awful time on Saturday nights, he does have stories for me almost on a weekly basis. He said he actually prefers the tours that come in that are full of mostly French, Italians and Spanish guests. He loves when they arrive as he knows he will have a quiet, no trouble night. They would just have the one or 2 drinks and head straight to bed, instead of wrecking the place, starting fights where the Guards would need calling, shagging in toilets, setting off fire alarms and other galivanting that Irish guests would get up to.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

zcorpian88 wrote: »
    True, that foreigners have a natural class, I worked in a hotel for a bit a few years ago and I noticed that Irish people when drunk more often than not (most not all) we can be very unreasonable, stubborn and just can be prick in general, can be a total burden on staff. I got a hard time off some punters mostly over not serving them drink when the bar closed at 2 or if they lost a ticket for the cloak room and they are just there pointing at it, but wouldn't give it to him until everybody else got theirs, and they would rather shout and bitch about it rather than wait 5 minutes. Used to like the foreign guests better at times I know it might sound like an awful thing to say but some Irish guests really can make your job difficult.

My father works in another hotel and he gets an awful time on Saturday nights, he does have stories for me almost on a weekly basis. He said he actually prefers the tours that come in that are full of mostly French, Italians and Spanish guests. He loves when they arrive as he knows he will have a quiet, no trouble night. They would just have the one or 2 drinks and head straight to bed, instead of wrecking the place, starting fights where the Guards would need calling, shagging in toilets, setting off fire alarms and other galivanting that Irish guests would get up to.

All fair observations but in order to compare properly you'd need to observe the behaviour of guests on Irish coach tours when abroad. Comparing a Spanish granny and grandad to a bunch of irish 20-somethings in a hotel in their locality isnt fair.

zcorpian88 wrote: »
    They would just have the one or 2 drinks and head straight to bed, instead of wrecking the place, starting fights where the Guards would need calling, shagging in toilets, setting off fire alarms and other galivanting that Irish guests would get up to.

Jasus... what hotel is this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

SPeople don't know the meaning of service in this country

Very few people have manners

Proper etiquette is non-existent

People slag off English and Americans yet lap up the materialistic aspects of their culture

Excessive materialism

Young women aping shows like Sex and the City and dressing like they are in downtown Manhattan every time they step outside the door. Sorry but in Limerick in the pissing rain you just look like a hooker at the best of times.

The snobbery around designer labels in Ireland, especially when said designer labels like Tommy Hilfiger and Ralph Lauren are cheap in the states. When people in the states talk about designer labels I can assure you Tommy Hilfiger is rarely mentioned with any kind of adoration like you'd see here. Especially when you can regularly pick up their jeans for $20-30. Designer here means $300 and up.

The almost non-existent dating scene. Mauling someone at the end of the night in some ****ty niteclub is not dating.

Starbucks is ****. Again snobbery associated with it here like it is exclusive.

Are you Irish?

All fair observations but in order to compare properly you'd need to observe the behaviour of guests on Irish coach tours when abroad. Comparing a Spanish granny and grandad to a bunch of irish 20-somethings in a hotel in their locality isnt fair.

Yeah true, we would galivant no matter where we are, but even older Irish guests that are staying in a hotel, Ive seen a lot of Irish 40/50 year olds act like 20 somethings you know? Like pulling this ego trip, big man thing and challenging people to drinking contests to prove their manhood or whatever and then drinking themselves into unconsciousness or they cant handle the drink and start a fight with another guest. Not very attractive either compared to someone of the same age from somewhere else in Europe that shows some decorum, they don't have to act like a priest but show some restraint and have some respect for the staff as well as the self. Doubt it will change though Ireland will always be an alcohol induced place of mayhem on weekends.

Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    Are you Irish?

Yes, but I've lived abroad. Thankfully I'll be doing so again and this time it will be for good. I've really no interest in Ireland anymore. The Celtic Tiger years destroyed this country.

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    Jasus... what hotel is this?

I'd rather not say, its in Kilkenny that's all you need to know. Popular place for hen/stag parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

red hair, freckles, milky white thighs, GAA jerseys and clapping when the plane lands.......

Yes, but I've lived abroad. Thankfully I'll be doing so again and this time it will be for good. I've really no interest in Ireland anymore. The Celtic Tiger years destroyed this country.

Just find it mad that you'd put yourself down like that being Irish n all.

Just find it mad that you'd put yourself down like that being Irish n all.

How exactly am I putting myself down? :confused:

How exactly am I putting myself down? :confused:

So do you include yourself in that critique of your country's people?

• Advertisement

So do you include yourself in that critique of your country's people?

No, if I did I'd hardly be singling out those qualities, or lack of, for criticism.

I try to be mannerly and respectful of others because that is how I was raised. Do I have a temper and sometimes overstep these boundaries? Of course. But I am not in the habit of spitting on the street, coughing into other peoples faces, not holding doors open for people and barking at shop assistants like they were animals. Unfortunately a LOT of Irish people do this.

I try to remember to say please and thank you. I give up my seat on the bus/train for those that need it (elderly or pregnant). I hold doors open for people, always. I offer friends/colleagues the use of my umbrella if it is raining and they are getting wet. I pull out a chair for the ladies when being seated at a restaurant. I open car doors similarly. Etiquette and being a gentlemen doesn't cost me anything. However it is abundantly clear that I am in the minority in this country.

I'm not going to apologise for it. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Brinimartini

the one thing I hate about being Irish is that much of the world thinks we're british.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Quorum

Proper etiquette is non-existent

Every country has its own rules of etiquette.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

red hair, freckles, milky white thighs, GAA jerseys and clapping when the plane lands.......

Just take the part with the clapping away, and you have me. And I'm German :D

Well, this thread makes me dislike how many whingers are contained on this island.

But hey, Katie Taylor won gold! Ain't she deadly? Never heard of her nor cared about her, never gave a toss about boxing or even the fact that women (shock!) do it too but yay! Gold! Ya know who won that medal? Katie, not us. We had **** all to do with the blood, sweat and tears it took to achieve that honour, but we'll ****in well act like we did!

I'd say most people had heard of Katie Taylor, and I have to say, I thought the hype would be a lot worse than it actually was. Also, surely no average Joe/Josephine from any country knows the work that went into the golds won? :confused:

Quorum wrote: »
    Every country has its own rules of etiquette.

True, but in Ireland it is practically non-existent.

It is nice to have at least some form of etiquette, when and where appropriate. Being an ignorant slob, or worse being proud of it, is not a very endearing quality or anything to brag about.

Dunno, the Polish people I know LOVE their vodka and are well able to overdo it!

And swearing? I listen to an Italian colleague shouting out fairly salty swearwords every day periodically at her desk when she's stressed out.

People slag off English and Americans yet lap up the materialistic aspects of their culture

Excessive materialism

Young women aping shows like Sex and the City and dressing like they are in downtown Manhattan every time they step outside the door. Sorry but in Limerick in the pissing rain you just look like a hooker at the best of times.

The almost non-existent dating scene. Mauling someone at the end of the night in some ****ty niteclub is not dating.
    The comment about Sex and City was that IMO a lot of Irish women inappropriately overdress in a misguided effort to be stylish. You don't have to be draped in the latest catwalk ensemble and designer stilettos when your just popping into town for a burger.

Yeah you do see a lot of that Americanised sex and the city crap, but I find its mostly with immature young ones. I haven’t encountered too many women over the age of 25 who do this.

I definitely agree with the non-existent dating scene. We rely way too much on the bars and clubs to meet people. Approaching people in other places is almost considered creepy.
    clapping when the plane lands.......

Who the hell does this? I've never seen this on a plane. It must be a Ryanair thing.

• Advertisement

Quorum wrote: »
    Dunno, the Polish people I know LOVE their vodka and are well able to overdo it!

I agree. There are of course, exceptions to everything. I do remember one Polish person telling me that a lot of the Polish in Ireland were, hmmm, how shall I put this, not missed from Poland if you get their drift.
    And swearing? I listen to an Italian colleague shouting out fairly salty swearwords every day periodically at her desk when she's stressed out.

Of course people swear everywhere. We are known for doing it rather excessively though, and in really inappropriate situations. I wouldn't say that is unique to us but it certainly is not something to be proud of. I think we could all tone it down a bit.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement