Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you hate about Irish people

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

No, if I did I'd hardly be singling out those qualities, or lack of, for criticism.

I try to be mannerly and respectful of others because that is how I was raised. Do I have a temper and sometimes overstep these boundaries? Of course. But I am not in the habit of spitting on the street, coughing into other peoples faces, not holding doors open for people and barking at shop assistants like they were animals. Unfortunately a LOT of Irish people do this.

I try to remember to say please and thank you. I give up my seat on the bus/train for those that need it (elderly or pregnant). I hold doors open for people, always. I offer friends/colleagues the use of my umbrella if it is raining and they are getting wet. I pull out a chair for the ladies when being seated at a restaurant. I open car doors similarly. Etiquette and being a gentlemen doesn't cost me anything. However it is abundantly clear that I am in the minority in this country.

I'm not going to apologise for it. :confused:

Right you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

The majority are extremely ignorant sheeple who do as their told and repeat verbal diarrhoea that they heard on the tv. Also very selfish which is why the governments divide and conquer tactics work so well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Quorum

I agree. There are of course, exceptions to everything. I do remember one Polish person telling me that a lot of the Polish in Ireland were, hmmm, how shall I put this, not missed from Poland if you get their drift.

That's such a cheap shot. Lots of the Polish people over here are very educated and accomplished.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I hate the way some Irish people confuse universal nuisances for peculiarly Irish ones due to their self-loathing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

I hate the way some Irish people confuse universal nuisances for peculiarly Irish ones due to their self-loathing.

Typical Irish statement.

:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dirtyden

Or the ones who go to New York for a couple of months and then preach about how crap Ireland is in comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭MHalberstram

Quorum wrote: »
    That's such a cheap shot. Lots of the Polish people over here are very educated and accomplished.

Maybe it is, it came from a Polish person and I have never been to Poland so I cannot say if that it a common sentiment there. Of the Polish people that I have known here, I'd say it was easily balanced between exceptionally nice and well educated and on the opposing side the utter dregs of humanity.

dirtyden wrote: »
    Or the ones who go to New York for a couple of months and then preach about how crap Ireland is in comparison.

New York is no fairytale. Manhattan is a complete zoo but upper New York state in the mountains is beautiful.

It is also equally annoying when people who have never set foot outside Ireland resent those that have and those who realise some of the things that could be improved upon. Outside ideas that work seem to be resented here.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭leblanc

The fact that we are referred to as the 'fighting Irish' the 'isle of saint and scholars' yet we bumble about like f*cking sheep while getting shafted by third rate crooks masquerading as public servants.

New York is no fairytale. Manhattan is a complete zoo but upper New York state in the mountains is beautiful.

It is also equally annoying when people who have never set foot outside Ireland resent those that have and those who realise some of the things that could be improved upon. Outside ideas that work seem to be resented here.[/QUOTE

I would find it the opposite. Most people who have travelled more appreciate the unique culture and sense of community that thrives in most of Ireland. I travelled extensively when i was younger ans still do quite a bit with work but there really is no place like home.

What outside ideas should we introduce to Ireland? Should we have more Starbucks or wall marts? How about more guns?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

It is also equally annoying when people who have never set foot outside Ireland resent those that have and those who realise some of the things that could be improved upon. Outside ideas that work seem to be resented here.

If you travelled enough, you'd realise that everywhere has room for improvement and that Ireland isn't the worst place in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

I won't say, I hate it. But it's very strange, that there are people already, putting their radiators on, because they are freezing :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

It is also equally annoying when people who have never set foot outside Ireland resent those that have and those who realise some of the things that could be improved upon. Outside ideas that work seem to be resented here.[/QUOTE

I would find it the opposite. Most people who have travelled more appreciate the unique culture and sense of community that thrives in most of Ireland. I travelled extensively when i was younger ans still do quite a bit with work but there really is no place like home.

What outside ideas should we introduce to Ireland? Should we have more Starbucks or wall marts? How about more guns?
    Efficiency. Decent service. Enforcement of laws against public drunkenness. Value for money. Accountability. Honesty. Punctuality. There's a few to start with.

I'd hardly call Starbucks or Walmart ideas. Do you feel the need for more guns or something?

I've travelled extensively too and IMO we have an overly inflated opinion of how great this country is.

I can't think of one single thing that is run correctly in this country.

About the only Irish idea in terms of policy that has been adopted elsewhere is the smoking ban.

Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    If you travelled enough, you'd realise that everywhere has room for improvement and that Ireland isn't the worst place in the world.

I'm well aware of that. I never said that everywhere else was perfect. Since I've started posting in this thread I've been reminded of another trait of ours that I dislike - our widespread inability to accept criticism.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Sound of Silence

I'm well aware of that. I never said that everywhere else was perfect. Since I've started posting in this thread I've been reminded of another trait of ours that I dislike - our widespread inability to accept criticism.

That's what you managed to gather from this forum?

I really should start reading the threads you happen to come across! All I ever seem to witness on this forum is endless self-loathing.

Efficiency. Decent service. Enforcement of laws against public drunkenness. Value for money. Accountability. Honesty. Punctuality. There's a few to start with.

All of the above exist in Ireland to a great extent (in my opinion). Sometimes I feel like I live in a different country to many on here.

There will be examples of poor service, inefficiencies, lateness, dishonesty etc but no more so than anywhere else and in my opinion a lot less than most places.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

owenc wrote: »
    They're accents, seen them up in bushmills today you should've heard them, first of all its not portbalintra its portbalintray... and secondly its not tree its three!
    Just to let you know English isn't our native language so tree instead of three will do just fine. If you really want to moan ask some British people why they call it free, it is their native language ;) The northern Ireland accent isn't exactly music to the ears :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

All of the above exist in Ireland to a great extent (in my opinion). Sometimes I feel like I live in a different country to many on here.

There will be examples of poor service, inefficiencies, lateness, dishonesty etc but no more so than anywhere else and in my opinion a lot less than most places.
    In my experience those values are rarely encountered in Ireland, and when they are encountered they are derided.

I'd hardly call Starbucks or Walmart ideas. Do you feel the need for more guns or something?

I've travelled extensively too and IMO we have an overly inflated opinion of how great this country is.

I can't think of one single thing that is run correctly in this country.

About the only Irish idea in terms of policy that has been adopted elsewhere is the smoking ban.

Fair enough.

I was not really suggesting importing starbucks walmart or guns, I was more trying to ascertain from you ideas we should be copying here?

What about the USA is run better?

• Advertisement

In my experience those values are rarely encountered in Ireland, and when they are encountered they are derided.

What is happening with the quotes there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭AngeGal

As is Connemara, the Burren,etc.,

It is equally annoying when people who have emigrated feel the need to constantly belittle Ireland. As someone who lived abroad for a long time, I often found that those who weren't going to return to Ireland for various reasons did this to convince themselves they didn't want to anyway.

AngeGal wrote: »
    As is Connemara, the Burren,etc.,

It is equally annoying when people who have emigrated feel the need to constantly belittle Ireland. As someone who lived abroad for a long time, I often found that those who weren't going to return to Ireland for various reasons did this to convince themselves they didn't want to anyway.

I have yet to meet these people you speak of, do they have a social club? Or is that just a line trotted out to deflect from any negative opinion expressed about this country? It is certainly a common one on boards that's for sure. And I'm well aware of the Burren thanks, I didn't need reminding. It is not like I said that Ireland is the ugliest country in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

The drink 'stereotype' ...very sad, grow the Feck up!

lufties wrote: »
    The drink 'stereotype' ...very sad, grow the Feck up!

Are you telling the people who believe in the stereotypes to grow up, or are you telling those who actually do the drinking to grow up?

I have yet to meet these people you speak of, do they have a social club? Or is that just a line trotted out to deflect from any negative opinion expressed about this country? It is certainly a common one on boards that's for sure. And I'm well aware of the Burren thanks, I didn't need reminding. It is not like I said that Ireland is the ugliest country in the world.

The problem is that all the supposed issues that you have with this Country could not be considered reasonable criticisms. Jasus, They're essentially just observations you've made about mildly annoying people you've met that by pure consequence just happen to be Irish.

The first complaint you made on the thread was some long-winded rant about Irish people placing the onus on other people to comply with favors that they themselves have proposed, which in some way creates an imbalance. What in the name of God are you talking about? What's uniquely Irish about that?

You then go on to talk about the excessively materialistic nature of the Irish population, as if this wasn't literally the most common trait imaginable in a Western Capitalist Democracy. You then babble on about Starbucks, Designer clothes, and the horribly degrading nature of Niteclub Culture. Do you honestly believe that if you swapped out "Ireland" with any other European Country, people would still be able to identify these as uniquely Irish traits?

Don't even get me started on when you talked about foreigners being more classy when they're drunk.

I don't know, Maybe people would be more open to your so-called criticisms of Irish Culture if your points actually managed to drift even slightly close to anything which could be considered even remotely Irish.

That's what you managed to gather from this forum?

I really should start reading the threads you happen to come across! All I ever seem to witness on this forum is endless self-loathing.

If criticising poor manners is "self-loathing" in your eyes then so be it.

Never mind.

Do you consider America to be better run than Ireland? Healthcare only if you can afford it? Lost your job, too bad, hit the streets. Need guns, sure but unfortunately you hqve to wait at least three days before you can get the machine gun. A possible next president who is a member of what is basically a well financed cult.

I mean I know Ireland is in position to make fun of politicians from other countries but jeez, in some congressional districts it appears being bat**** insane is an essential prerequisite to run.

I just love how a bunch of you are basing my current location as some sort of seal of approval of all things American.

It's not even where I am living. :pac:

Looks like I have hit a raw nerve. I've said what I have to say. If you don't like it fine. I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. :cool:

• Advertisement

I just love how a bunch of you are basing my current location as some sort of seal of approval of all things American.

It's not even where I am living. :pac:

Looks like I have hit a raw nerve. I've said what I have to say. If you don't like it fine. I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. :cool:

Nor shall anyone here I imagine.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement