Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you hate about Irish people

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Sound of Silence

If criticising poor manners is "self-loathing" in your eyes then so be it.

That's essentially the problem here.

You've managed to convince yourself that bad manners is somehow intrinsically Irish, as opposed to something which is immediately apparent in absolutely every Nation imaginable on this tiny speck in the Milky Way.

I hate to rain on your Parade but Irishness and bad manners are not intrinsically linked, not even tenuously. In all honesty, I don't think your beef is with the Irish people, rather just terrible human beings in general.

This is coming from someone who really appreciates good manners.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

AngeGal wrote: »
    I have yet to meet these people you speak of, do they have a social club? Or is that just a line trotted out to deflect from any negative opinion expressed about this country? It is certainly a common one on boards that's for sure. And I'm well aware of the Burren thanks, I didn't need reminding. It is not like I said that Ireland is the ugliest country in the world.

Never mind.

Do you consider America to be better run than Ireland? Healthcare only if you can afford it? Lost your job, too bad, hit the streets. Need guns, sure but unfortunately you hqve to wait at least three days before you can get the machine gun. A possible next president who is a member of what is basically a well financed cult.

I mean I know Ireland is in position to make fun of politicians from other countries but jeez, in some congressional districts it appears being bat**** insane is an essential prerequisite to run.
    Most of the members of the government of the Irish state since its inception have been members of a similar well financed cult.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Sound of Silence

Most of the members of the government of the Irish state since its inception have been members of a similar well financed cult.

Hopefully Secularism isn't too far off in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭MHalberstram

The problem is that all the supposed issues that you have with this Country could not be considered reasonable criticisms. Jasus, They're essentially just observations you've made about mildly annoying people you've met that by pure consequence just happen to be Irish.

The thread title is what do you hate about Irish people? The things I mentioned are things I hate about all people, but of which I find to be most prominent in Irish people. Get it. I'm not the only one to make such remarks about how Irish people might behave in certain ways that is more noticeable in comparison to other nationalities. I never said they were exclusively Irish traits nor did I get the impression that they had to be for the purpose of this thread.
    The first complaint you made on the thread was some long-winded rant about Irish people placing the onus on other people to comply with favors that they themselves have proposed, which in some way creates an imbalance. What in the name of God are you talking about?

Speak for yourself :confused:
    You then go on to talk about the excessively materialistic nature of the Irish population, as if this wasn't literally the most common trait imaginable in a Western Capitalist Democracy. You then babble on about Starbucks, Designer clothes, and the horribly degrading nature of Niteclub Culture. Do you honestly believe that if you swapped out "Ireland" with any other European Country, people would still be able to identify these as uniquely Irish traits?

I never said they were uniquely Irish. You and I seem to view this thread differently.
    Don't even get me started on when you talked about foreigners being more classy when they're drunk.

I never said that. You are putting words in my mouth.
    I don't know, Maybe people would be more open to your so-called criticisms of Irish Culture if your points actually managed to drift even slightly close to anything which could be considered even remotely Irish.

My criticisms were never intended as a commentary of Irish culture. I never took that there was a requirement that this thread was about traits that only applied to Irish people. My comments were regarding traits that I found to be most noticeable amongst a lot of Irish people. I never claimed that they didn't apply to other nationalities. In fairness, if you read back over this two year old thread you will find that the conversation had drifted that way, it certainly appeared like that to me when it resurfaced the other day so if I took it up the wrong way then I guess I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

Lack of pride in their culture and language always disappoints me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭AngeGal

I concur and hope secularism is en route. However, Ireland is a much younger country, something that is often overlooked I feel (Germany went bust three times in the 20th century, England had the IMF in during the 70s,etc.,) and the power religion once held is rapidly decreasing thankfully, of course not without suffering along the path. Mormonism is more extreme than Catholicism, ten percent of wages, etc., and the power religion holds seems to be increasing if anything, moderate republicans are quickly becoming an endangered species with the rise of the tea party crazies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

Lack of pride in their culture and language always disappoints me.

Well with regards to the Irish language I'd like to give my 2 cents:

The Irish language is not my language.
    The Irish language is the language of my ancestors from hundreds of years ago.
    I cannot speak Irish and feel nothing towards it but contempt because my Government pushes it down my throat solely in the hope that their dream for re-introducing the language will succeed. This affected my CAO score and ability to move into certain Government professions.
    I've been told by people from different countries that I've been "brainwashed" into abandoning my language. No I haven't; my language is English and I love it because it is widely recognised as the de-facto international language and can be used to communicate across the planet.

People have every right to be apathetic or even hostile towards a certain group of Irish people's crusade to get everyone speaking "our" language just because they decided they like it.

Although I do sort-of agree with the lack of pride in our culture. I don't think we have a very significant cultural identity with regard to cuisine, art, architecture, customs, sport, history, etc compared to other (albeit bigger and more populated) nations like England, France, Italy etc but I completely despise how quickly we all are to embrace American culture. I mean of all cultures to move towards - American is the worst. Fast food, **** TV, bad pizza, big "suburban" houses miles from anything, shopping centres, bad coffee, the list goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭bstar

AngeGal wrote: »
    As is Connemara, the Burren,etc.,

It is equally annoying when people who have emigrated feel the need to constantly belittle Ireland. As someone who lived abroad for a long time, I often found that those who weren't going to return to Ireland for various reasons did this to convince themselves they didn't want to anyway.

This is one of several threads recently where everyone has picked on the person who isn't still in Ireland for having an opinion about Ireland.

I hate the negative attitude and self loathing Irish people have. I have travelled extensively and have yet to encounter anywhere else with a similar attitude.

You could also say that people who haven't emigrated are negative as they are still stuck in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Just to let you know English isn't our native language so tree instead of three will do just fine.

For most Irish people, English is their native language.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

My criticisms were never intended as a commentary of Irish culture. I never took that there was a requirement that this thread was about traits that only applied to Irish people.
    My comments were regarding traits that I found to be most noticeable amongst a lot of Irish people.
    I never claimed that they didn't apply to other nationalities. In fairness, if you read back over this two year old thread you will find that the conversation had drifted that way, it certainly appeared like that to me when it resurfaced the other day so if I took it up the wrong way then I guess I did.

You're entitled to your opinion but I don't agree with you and not because I can't accept criticism about my country but because I've lived outside Ireland for 8 years now and have seen all you mentioned in your tirade elsewhere and just as frequently.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

dirtyden wrote: »
    Or the ones who go to New York for a couple of months and then preach about how crap Ireland is in comparison.

Those in particular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

The PR system and the parochial politics that that has ensued. It has kept this country in the doldrums and corrupt politicians in the Dail. The thing about our PR system is it gives to many fukcen idiots a say.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

People have every right to be apathetic or even hostile towards a certain group of Irish people's crusade to get everyone speaking "our" language just because they decided they like it.

I aint no gaeilgeoir but that above is absolute rubbish

I aint no gaeilgeoir but that above is absolute rubbish

How? Why is my, or anyone else's, anti-Irish-language opinion invalid?

The thread title is what do you hate about Irish people? The things I mentioned are things I hate about all people, but of which I find to be most prominent in Irish people. Get it. I'm not the only one to make such remarks about how Irish people might behave in certain ways that is more noticeable in comparison to other nationalities. I never said they were exclusively Irish traits nor did I get the impression that they had to be for the purpose of this thread.

Speak for yourself :confused:

I never said they were uniquely Irish. You and I seem to view this thread differently.

I never said that. You are putting words in my mouth.

My criticisms were never intended as a commentary of Irish culture. I never took that there was a requirement that this thread was about traits that only applied to Irish people. My comments were regarding traits that I found to be most noticeable amongst a lot of Irish people. I never claimed that they didn't apply to other nationalities. In fairness, if you read back over this two year old thread you will find that the conversation had drifted that way, it certainly appeared like that to me when it resurfaced the other day so if I took it up the wrong way then I guess I did.

I think you have missed the point of this thread. Naming traits you dislike that are in all humans and applying it to the Irish is silly. Although you are the only person here who could answer the question "What do you hate about people from (insert any country in the world here)?" as every bad point you have named is inherently human and not isolated to one people.

By the way kudos on pretending you know Polish people yet then casting doubt on someone else's claims to know about another country's people when it didnt support your argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

....to apply attributes to an entire set of people?

If the title of this thread were to refer to people of colour, people of the feminine gender or people of non-heterosexual orientation I bet the fury would be enormous.

There is nothing to hate about the Irish that you won't find in other races or nationalities but the human brain is designed to pick out patterns and make assumptions and generalise based on small samples. It is how we survive in a rapidly changing world.

Trouble is it can lead to prejudice and other embarrassing surprises.

It can be very hard to hold off on snap judgments about people but you are better off in the long run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

The way so many of them (us) abuse animals/think its ok to abuse animals/turn a blind eye when others abuse animals...

Oh and the fact that we are always complaining about the Irish weather - er...like, you're Irish, living in Ireland...Irish weather shouldn't be news to you! "What?! It's raining again?!" :eek:

How? Why is my, or anyone else's, anti-Irish-language opinion invalid?

No your opinion might be valid but your thought processes are poor. Irish language is not being forced on you "because some people like it". Please tell me you realise there is slightly more to the whole issue than that?

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭gerarda

Feeling pushed into doing things a certain way because its 'the done thing'. Plus when you say your going to buy something, do something or mention an interest in something, you get bombarded by 'experts' with comments like; 'you wouldn't want to do that', I heard this about that', my friend heard that place is a kip (even though they have never been there)', what are you doing that for', 'don't buy one of those' etc....

I think you have missed the point of this thread. Naming traits you dislike that are in all humans and applying it to the Irish is silly. Although you are the only person here who could answer the question "What do you hate about people from (insert any country in the world here)?" as every bad point you have named is inherently human and not isolated to one people.

By the way kudos on pretending you know Polish people yet then casting doubt on someone else's claims to know about another country's people when it didnt support your argument.

Kudos for nitpicking when I clearly already admitted that I didn't realise the thread was solely about exclusively Irish traits and when the vast majority of the thread doesn't meet that criteria.

You can read into my Polish comment all you like.

• Advertisement

No your opinion might be valid but your thought processes are poor. Irish language is not being forced on you "because some people like it". Please tell me you realise there is slightly more to the whole issue than that?

Ok well because some people have decided it would be better if the language was not left to die. I'm still perfectly entitled to disagree.

Kudos for nitpicking when I clearly already admitted that I didn't realise the thread was solely about exclusively Irish traits and when the vast majority of the thread doesn't meet that criteria.

You can read into my Polish comment all you like.

Making sweeping statements leads to comments being read into. I checked my magnetosphere for your aura and found nothing so i will hjave to persist with trying to make sense of your words. My bad.

"What do you hate about Irish people" - yeah can see the confusion.

Also, you plucked my irony strings by accusing me of nitpicking.

Ok well because some people have decided it would be better if the language was not left to die. I'm still perfectly entitled to disagree.

Some people? We are talking about a language that was spoken by Irish people prior to being invaded and taken over by the British. It is part of our national identity. As i said i am no gaelgeoir but you can hardly argue that you are greatly prejudiced by the Irish language can you? It is taught in schools because it is a part of our culture. Outside of school it is used very rarely. So what's the problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

The way you can't set up a thread on boards called "reason why you hate irish people" without Irish people getting offended because you are saying why you hate irish people lol

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    The way you can't set up a thread on boards called "reason why you hate irish people" without Irish people getting offended because you are saying why you hate irish people lol

No one is offended. They are simply pointing out that the flaws being talked about are mostly flaws evident in every other country in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

OldNotWIse wrote: »

Just seems unreasonable to me when someone exclude themselves from that criticism of Irish people when the person is Irish themselves. Accusing us, as Irish people who he doesn't know from Adam, of not being able to accept criticism when he, as an Irish man/woman, excludes himself from it because he, in his own biased opinion, believes he is somehow better than the majority of people of his country. The sheer arrogance of it!

I'm polite and well-mannered, so why would I accept that criticism when it's not true for me or anyone I know or for most people I encountered daily while living there? I'd only accept it if I found some truth to it.

There's things I'm not fond of about my country and it's people but I'd never be so arrogant to exclude myself from that criticism.

Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    Just seems unreasonable to me when someone exclude themselves from that criticism of Irish people when the person is Irish themselves. Accusing us, as Irish people who he doesn't know from Adam, of not being able to accept criticism when he, as an Irish man/woman, excludes himself from it because he, in his own biased opinion, believes he is somehow better than the majority of people of his country. The sheer arrogance of it!

I'm polite and well-mannered, so why would I accept that criticism when it's not true for me or anyone I know or for most people I encountered daily while living there? I'd only accept it if I found some truth to it.

There's things I'm not fond of about my country and it's people but I'd never be so arrogant to exclude myself from that criticism.

I said and I quote - "Very few people have manners."

That is my belief based on my experiences living in this country and abroad. Note I didn't say - "There are no Irish people with manners."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Quorum

I said and I quote - "Very few people have manners."

That is my belief based on my experiences living in this country and abroad. Note I didn't say - "There are no Irish people with manners."

That's very good of you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭Eileen Down

I hate all the people (not just the fecking Irish) who are going to the Electric Picnic this weekend. Lucky bashtards:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Quorum

I hate all the people (not just the fecking Irish) who are going to the Electric Picnic this weekend. Lucky bashtards:(

I don't, I'll be in the Burren this weekend, eating fantastic food with my fella. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement