Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you hate about Irish people

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

I said and I quote - "Very few people have manners."

That is my belief based on my experiences living in this country and abroad. Note I didn't say - "There are no Irish people with manners."

I'm well aware of what you said. I guessing you don't know or haven't met most people in Ireland though. :)

I hate all the people (not just the fecking Irish) who are going to the Electric Picnic this weekend. Lucky bashtards:(

I've got the jealousy of the world upon me over it. I see you're in Galicia though. Was there doing the Camino De Santiago this month...my god it's beautiful. Didn't think somewhere in Spain could be so rural. People are lovely too.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

If this was about any other nationality there'd be bans for pretty much everyone!

I can't see a thread titled 'what do you hate about Nigerian people' lasting so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,580 ✭✭✭veryangryman

If this was about any other nationality there'd be bans for pretty much everyone!

I can't see a thread titled 'what do you hate about Nigerian people' lasting so long.

Lack of interest in such a subject would probably lead to the thread not lasting. I cant think of any other reason it would not last

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭MHalberstram

Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    I'm well aware of what you said. I guessing you don't know or haven't met most people in Ireland though. :)

Ok how about - "Very few people I have met in the 30 years I have spent living in this country". What do you want next map co-ordinates of where I've been? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

Some people? We are talking about a language that was spoken by Irish people prior to being invaded and taken over by the British. It is part of our national identity.

Yeah, it was spoken hundreds of years ago by our ancestors before invasion yet people keep trying to tell me it's part of my culture. It's not. I can't speak it and I don't enjoy learning it so I dislike when people act as if I'm betraying my nation for not embracing it.

I'm all for other people speaking it as much as they like but if you read my original post I was responding to a poster who said he dislikes how little pride Irish people have in their language. I was pointing out that a sizeable number of Irish people feel no connection to the language other than the one manufactured through archaic Irish lessons in classrooms and on road signs - so the lack of pride is sort-of understandable.
    As i said i am no gaelgeoir but you can hardly argue that you are greatly prejudiced by the Irish language can you? It is taught in schools because it is a part of our culture. Outside of school it is used very rarely. So what's the problem?

Ok well personally the only gripe I personally have against the Government insisting on trying to re-introduce it is the fact that I wasn't allowed to drop it in school - thankfully I wasn't relying on a lot of points. But I do know someone who couldn't go to college because he failed Irish which means he failed the LC - to be honest I don't know the details but he was a smart chap and basically told me that being bad at Irish messed his options up. I think it should be optional after primary school as speaking it isn't very important to students' development/future etc and some kids just aren't good at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭greenpilot

Quorum wrote: »
    I hate all the people (not just the fecking Irish) who are going to the Electric Picnic this weekend. Lucky bashtards:(

I don't, I'll be in the Burren this weekend, eating fantastic food with my fella. :)

And your fella will be eating......never mind.

*gets coat.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭A_Danger

The government..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

No one is offended. They are simply pointing out that the flaws being talked about are mostly flaws evident in every other country in the world.

Ok, so let's just change the title to "things that annoy you about people the world over" or something - there, everyone's happy :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Quorum

greenpilot wrote: »
    And your fella will be eating......never mind.

*gets coat.

:eek:;)

• Advertisement

Ok how about - "Very few people I have met in the 30 years I have spent living in this country". What do you want next map co-ordinates of where I've been? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Yeah whatever. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭average hero

Not so much Irish people, rather than 'Celtic Cub rising middle class type' of Irish people who have such an air of expectancy and are very demanding. Some of the money may be gone, but the attitudes are still there!

More generally, Irish people have to fit in with the crowd. If someone is quite individual in dress, style, or attitude, it's usually a case of 'Oh, look at yer man...' instead of 'fair play to him' or whatever.

Can be seen with voting political parties into power (going with the majority), the power the media has in this country etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Unnessecary, as doubtless your charms have left an indelible mark on all that encounter you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I hate the way Irish people walk on two legs and have opposable digits.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    I've got the jealousy of the world upon me over it. I see you're in Galicia though. Was there doing the Camino De Santiago this month...my god it's beautiful. Didn't think somewhere in Spain could be so rural. People are lovely too.

I was on that route the other day too... But on the French side by Canigou, did you get up that way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭AngeGal

bstar wrote: »
    This is one of several threads recently where everyone has picked on the person who isn't still in Ireland for having an opinion about Ireland.

I hate the negative attitude and self loathing Irish people have. I have travelled extensively and have yet to encounter anywhere else with a similar attitude.

You could also say that people who haven't emigrated are negative as they are still stuck in Ireland.

You could except I didn't say anything negative. Disagree that we are negative also, I think we're quite an optimistic bunch, sometimes overly so to our detriment.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 meandmypalimmy

i hate the fact everyone wants something for nothing. and feels they deserve things for free everywhere they go and shop they walk into

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

i hate the fact everyone wants something for nothing. and feels they deserve things for free everywhere they go and shop they walk into

What do you want for free then? I feel I deserve free air and the right not to be hassled in any way every time I walk into a shop.

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    I was on that route the other day too... But on the French side by Canigou, did you get up that way?

I did part of the Northern Way, so only through Asturias and Galicia. I don't think it went through France at all. Want to do the French Way another time though. Did you do it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭Eileen Down

BraziliaNZ wrote: »

I've been planning on doing it for ages but as I live so close Santiago, there's not much point but I was toying with the idea of going in the opposite direction, all the way to St James Gate.
    There be treasure at the end :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭SamHarris

The constent national back slapping - "Everyone really likes us abroad." "Sure the women love our accents" "Everyone wants to be Irish." people are being polite damn it, how many people from a small place have you met that you then told the person how much you hate it, and them?

Oh and the enormous amount of ignorance. No more in any other place, sure, but we are convinced we have a special kind of knowledge or at least "street smarts". Not the case.

To be fair considering thats the only two things that really bug me Im pretty damn lucky - living in any place for 24 years would and should make you realise some things about the other locals that isnt exactly positive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

The self-loathing that regularly appears on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

What are you on about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭CaoimheCweeva

The racism and homophobia I still see among this generation. I mean, really? It's the 21st century.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

Wouldn't have said "everyone" but can see where you're coming from. I have had cases working in a shop where the customer would try bargaining me down, this was in Dunnes Stores now, the customer would have a street market in Egypt on his/her mind, instead of the products having a fixed price.

Or what I explained in an earlier post about Irish customers being against a shop's policy and there is no way around it, but feel the tendency to wreck the sales assistants head with moaning and complaining thinking this is how they get what they are after, for example a euro off their parking if they spend over 10 euro, but the policy is showing their car park ticket, when its clearly stated on big signs outside the shop and car park aswell as a bloody announcement played every 5 minutes in the shop, but still the customer (a lot of them repeat customers) leave the ticket on the dash so therefore they think "Ah sure ill just make a fuss over a euro and make the staff hate their jobs even more"

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Carson10

I hate the fact the Irish people want to live by the rule book so much, for example everyone has to be in a relationship by 28, get married by 30, live in an unfinshed housing estate called "Cois na Habhainn", name their kids, Roisin and Jack, be bored of their marriage after 3 years cos the wife cut her hair into a school boy look and packed on the pounds.

Hate all the d*cks on facebook who post crap like, "few beers they said, be grand they said".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Sound of Silence

SamHarris wrote: »
    The constent national back slapping - "Everyone really likes us abroad." "Sure the women love our accents" "Everyone wants to be Irish." people are being polite damn it, how many people from a small place have you met that you then told the person how much you hate it, and them?

Oh and the enormous amount of ignorance. No more in any other place, sure, but we are convinced we have a special kind of knowledge or at least "street smarts". Not the case.

To be fair considering thats the only two things that really bug me Im pretty damn lucky - living in any place for 24 years would and should make you realise some things about the other locals that isnt exactly positive.

So, essentially what you're saying is that foreigners are simply far too embarassed to tell us just how much they hate our guts. I think you're the one deluding yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dirtyden

I just love how a bunch of you are basing my current location as some sort of seal of approval of all things American.

It's not even where I am living. :pac:

Looks like I have hit a raw nerve. I've said what I have to say. If you don't like it fine. I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. :cool:

Or perhaps the fact that in an earlier post you described the things you hate about ireland with contrasting examples of how things were better in new york/america. I think one of the phrases you used was that anything less than 300 euros would not be considered designer in the USA as seemingly that is a positive American trait.

I hate the way Irish people walk on two legs and have opposable digits.

Except in Cavan. Fingers coming out of their foreheads round there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭SamHarris

So, essentially what you're saying is that foreigners are simply far too embarassed to tell us just how much they hate our guts. I think you're the one deluding yourself.

No, essentially what Im saying is the chances are vastly more that the namless foreigners people meet everywhere have no real opinion, and, just like the vast majority of people decide whether or not they like/dislike us or find us sexy based on personal merits. Its an ice breaker. Dont let that idea dissapoint you too much.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement