Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you hate about Irish people

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 DLC69

Yep, the constant fishing for compliments! You see it all the time in TV interviews of foreign stars: 'how are you enjoying Ireland?/ what do you think of Ireland?'

The person is forced into some trite compliment.

Cringe!

Meeting new people in Ireland is sooo tiring. I'm an American, here 3 years. I am constantly being asked what I think of Ireland. I talk about all the positives and hope they will go away...but they just want me to keep talking about how great Ireland is and how Ireland has the very best of everything. PLEASE STOP!! You are a tiny country with some great strengths...but equally big weaknesses. Business practice is lazy and corrupt. Education lacks critical thinking. Value for money is a foreign concept, as is personal responsibility. You've absorbed the worst of American trash culture...no one forced you to watch Jersey Shore...none of my American friends watch it. As a culture, you seem to be allergic to facts. No one reads the instruction manual...Irish planning is an oxymoron!

On the upside...if you persevere through the surface friendliness you can make real friends (this will take a lot of work on your part, the Irish are averse to outsiders). The arts are fabulous for such a small place and there is always something to do in the city. I just hope you make a hell of a good salary or you will be forced to live like a peasant :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Davidson2k9

I hate Irish people that say "mate".

"Hows it going, mate?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

DLC69 wrote: »
    Meeting new people in Ireland is sooo tiring. I'm an American, here 3 years. I am constantly being asked what I think of Ireland. I talk about all the positives and hope they will go away...but they just want me to keep talking about how great Ireland is and how Ireland has the very best of everything. PLEASE STOP!! You are a tiny country with some great strengths...but equally big weaknesses. Business practice is lazy and corrupt. Education lacks critical thinking. Value for money is a foreign concept, as is personal responsibility. You've absorbed the worst of American trash culture...no one forced you to watch Jersey Shore...none of my American friends watch it. As a culture, you seem to be allergic to facts. No one reads the instruction manual...Irish planning is an oxymoron!

On the upside...if you persevere through the surface friendliness you can make real friends (this will take a lot of work on your part, the Irish are averse to outsiders). The arts are fabulous for such a small place and there is always something to do in the city. I just hope you make a hell of a good salary or you will be forced to live like a peasant :)

Jesus you don't seem to like us at all. Nice one. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭FetchTheGin

Lack of education on Irish history, a lack of understanding of the troubles in the North, as a poster said earlier, absorbing the worst of American or British culture.

A lot of Irish sheeple people seem to believe what the tabloids and trashy celebrity magazines tell them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭FetchTheGin

Eve_Dublin wrote: »

No, the poster made some good points and did say some positive things.

Another wonderful trait would be lack of tolerance for criticism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

That if you criticise anything or anybody in this country with money or power or anything in fact, oh its begrudgery, your clearly jealous. Nobody may think that they are actually doing something wrong, oh no your a begrudger its such bull****.

The whole your a west brit if you dont agree wtih certain things repubican bull****. oh if you dont speak Irish or play Gaa etc, you are not proper Irish. If you are from Dublin you are clearly a west Brit who hates the country. Well, no, not really. Not that I have anything against Irish or GAA just the bull**** that surrounds it by certain people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

I hate the phrase ''proud to be Irish''. It seems like an attempt to mask an insecurity about where they're from. I'm neither proud nor ashamed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 813 ✭✭✭wiger toods

suomi wrote: »
    Finland. And I really would rather be Irish than Finnish. You people need to stop being so modest, there's nothing wrong with being Irish. ;)And Irish people are definitely not ugly. :eek:

Ba boom! suomi said it! Lets get our coats!:pac:

Ah go away out of that....it was a total slating of Ireland. There's criticism and there's THAT kind of tirade. The only positive thing he said was if you persevere through our superficial friendliness :rolleyes: , you can make some friends. That's just offensive.

I can take criticism of our country, I get regularly here in Spain and agreed with a poster recently complaining about our lack of punctuality, but he completely unjustifiably knocked the stuffing out of us. If I was to do the same thing about his country, I'd be called Un American.

Jersey Shore was made by Americans FOR Americans. People watch it to laugh at Americans (that was a joke before I'm called an American-hater).

Edit: I accept the compliment on our culture. I forgot that.

Lack of education on Irish history, a lack of understanding of the troubles in the North, as a poster said earlier, absorbing the worst of American or British culture.

A lot of Irish sheeple people seem to believe what the tabloids and trashy celebrity magazines tell them.

That's not exclusive to Ireland though. You're going to find numpties who believe that tripe in every country you go to. Come over here and watch Spanish telly for an hour (you won't be able to...you'll gouge your ears out) and check out the bunch of fearmongering right-wingers they're voting in to power in 15 days....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

suomi wrote: »
    Nothing. Irish people are great. I'd love to be Irish too.
    I hate Irish people that say "mate".

"Hows it going, mate?"
    As bad as when an English,American or Australian greets you with '' top of the morning to ya ''.

That's so 1950/60s ...fcuk off you tool .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

The flipside of that coin is a considerable degree of toadying self loathing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

I do this as well but within reason

The slagging, sometimes we go over board

Equally though we get embarrassed about everything, even if someone was a singer if they were asked to get up and sing they'd probably say "but I can't sing",
    We aren't very good about talking about how we feel most of the time we feel more comfortable talking about the situation (not a Jersey Shore reference ^) and what has happened how thats affecting us, unless you can say
    ah I'm pissed off
    I'm sick of you
    I'm in grand form
    I'm wrecked
    that's f*ckin pissed me off now so it has
    I'm delighted
    and the list goes on
    followed by
    ge us a pak a Tahyyto

Dudess wrote: »
    The flipside of that coin is a considerable degree of toadying self loathing though.

I've never come across it anywhere else!

I think it's fair to criticise aspects that might be distinctly Irish but corrupt business is a worldwide phenomenon, most countries worldwide have absorbed the crap aspects of American culture unfortunately. And it's always difficult to make friends with locals in any country...that's not exclusive to Ireland. And I'm always asked by Spaniards if I like it here. I'm asked daily and it probably stems from insecurity much like it does in Ireland. I don't mind it as I can relate to it. Was asked the same question when I lived in the States only that DIDN'T stem from an insecurity. They just wanted me to agree with them. No problems. I don't care. You simply can't generalise.

Silly thread. Thing I dislike about Ireland? It must be the only country in the world with threads picking ourselves apart posted almost weekly on discussion forms like this. Yawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

I hate the fact that there exists in south dublin (which technically is part of ireland) an accent so hideously exaggerated and self conciously put on that i consider just ending it all.:)

The insincerity of some Irish people. I don't want you to be one of those rude idiots who like to think "they're telling it like it is" when in reality they're just *****. But seriously, how you can brown nose people and lie to their face while keeping a straight face is beyond me. Well done really.

People who go on about being a Sinn Fein or Fianna Fail "family" for generations and who will vote for SF or FF solely on this basis. No wonder we're ****ed more so than other countries when you have clowns like this living in Ireland.

I think that's enough for now.
    These SF / FF devotees were everywhere , you could hardly avoid them and as bad some of those (so called ) '' devout catholics '' ...avoided like the plague .

Silly thread. Thing I dislike about Ireland? It must be the only country in the world with threads picking ourselves apart posted almost weekly on discussion forms like this. Yawn.
    Stating the obious I know but has as much to do with Irish peoples inscecuritys about themselfs and how others perceive them which if not liking what they hear , results in mucho anger , at themselfs as much as the foreigners .Many other don't give a toss either way .

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Naomi00

Wtf? This thread is beyond stupid.

Why was this thread not locked straight away?
    I'm pretty sure that generalising a nationality and saying you hate things about everyone from that country is racism.

Funny how if you replaced 'Irish' in the title with any other nationality the OP would have been called a racist and this would have been shut down ages ago. Double standards on boards as usual.:rolleyes:

Self criticism is surely ok to a point though, seeing as we know what we're talking about?
    But I agree some people can go too far with the insulting of fellow Irish people and, ironically, themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Self-hatred
    Start a thread on bad things in Ireland and everyone will agree

However if a non national comes on boards and states the same examples they'll be told to head to the airport if they don't like it here. Funny that

Latchy wrote: »
    These SF / FF devotees were everywhere , you could hardly avoid them and as bad some of those (so called ) '' devout catholics '' ...avoided like the plague .

Do you think the other parties don't have these supporters?

There are people going around wearing union badges who will support Labour and so will generations of their family

mikemac wrote: »
    Self-hatred

However if a non national comes on boards and states the same examples they'll be told to head to the airport if they don't like it here. Funny that
    Yep, happened recently.

• Advertisement

Dudess wrote: »
    Self criticism is surely ok to a point though, seeing as we know what we're talking about?
    But I agree some people can go too far with the insulting of fellow Irish people and, ironically, themselves.
    Aye ...when it's collective and done with humor it's the best kind of laughing at ourselfs ever but when somebody has ..say low self esteem /self loathing because of their own personell situation or circumstances , has a beef or hang up , they assume everybody should be feeling same .

mikemac wrote: »
    Self-hatred

An example been the Polish OP in the time keeping thread

Do you think the other parties don't have these supporters?

There are people going around wearing union badges who will support Labour and so will generations of their family
    Of course they do but when I was growing up in Dublin/Ireland back in the seventies , FF supporters were were in the main part of that old Ireland menatlity that thankfully is loosing ...has lost it's grip on the ' only party main party ' to vote for now .

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭tiger55

Chip on shoulders about British people.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭tiger55

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭tink2

I hate the way we let the Government introduce taxes on everything and just bend over and take it. Depressing.

If it was as simple as just bending over and taking it, we'd have an option to do something about it, so why aren't people doing something about it?
    While I know it's rubbish to say we're all responsible for the economic collapse, most of us benefitted from and enjoyed the "boom" in some shape or form. It was built on sand and now it's payback time.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Eramen

There is a few things I really dislike about many/some Irish people:

- Culturally backward (a lot of people are veritable west Brits at this stage / American pop-culture worshippers).

- The habit of taking our opinions as fact, even though a person may know abolutely nothing about the subject in question.

- Believe completely everything we see on TV / red in the newspaper.

- Under-educated and trivial.

- Leave everything to the last minute.

- Lazy, very lazy, to the point we will not even stand up for what is right or in the interest of us all.

:eek:

Eramen wrote: »

- Culturally backward (a lot of people are veritable west Brits at this stage / American pop-culture worshippers).

- The habit of taking our opinions as fact, even though a person may know abolutely nothing about the subject in question.

- Lazy, very lazy, to the point we will not even stand up for what is right or in the interest of us all.

What's culturally backward and what's west Brit? In your opinion? Much of the other stuff you list could be applied to any people.
    You mis-spelt "read" above "under-educated" by the way. And I didn't know the term trivial could be applied to humans?

Latchy wrote: »
    Stating the obious I know but has as much to do with Irish peoples inscecuritys about themselfs and how others perceive them which if not liking what they hear , results in mucho anger , at themselfs as much as the foreigners .Many other don't give a toss either way .

Personally I'd happily take the aspects on board that agree with and can change, like puncuality and our drinking, for example. Both of which I've improved on down the years.

But to imply the friendliness of the Irish is phoney is a step too far in my opinion. I appreciate it when a stranger is friendly to me, regardless of whether it's phoney at the initial stages or not. Better than being an ignorant fecker like you might come across elsewhere. False people are everywhere.

There's a fine line between constructive criticism of ourselves and foreigners and just plan self-loathing and insulting us with no grounds. If I was to post on an American forum calling their friendliness phoney, I'd have people telling me that wasn't on. That's a fact. The poster is very welcome to stay in the country (of course...like my siblings have been made welcome there) and I'd never suggest anything stupid like for him to get on a plane and get out of the country but I'll pick him up on that as I don't think it's fair.

I used to have a terrible habit of complaining about Spain when I got here first and sometimes I still do when I have a bad day...I blame everything on them on not on myself (and the fault probably lies with me, in fairness). Most ex pats here are the same. There's an English speaking bar where ex pats frequent and like to moan and moan about the locals (horrible dive) but wouldn't dare to say it to their faces. You can get into that habit as a foreigner in a different country and the irony is, these ex pats have formed as unjustified hatred for the locals and surprisingly, they've no Spanish friends because they've already formed their opinions on ALL of them with generalisations. It's something you have to watch.

Ehhh...this thread was dug out from last year...how does this happen?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Da_Doc

Eramen wrote: »

In your opening line take out the word irish. These traits could be applied to any nationality.

Whats with all the Irish bashing threads going around at the moment. Last week was AH gay week, this week is irish bashing week.

Bunch of bitter baxtards.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement