Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony A200 - lens

Options
  • 01-08-2010 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Hello peoples...

I have a Sony A200 and I am looking to upgrade for the stock lens that I got with the camera. I enjoy taking landscape pictures including macro shots and would eventually like to branch into portaits..
    Could anyone advise me on a suitable upgrade and advise me of a site I can get them off?
    I dont wanna try Ebay cause I have had friend who were ripped off buying lens'

I appreciate any feedback...
    Richie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

try adverts.ie for 2nd hand gear- i'm afraid i cant comment on the actual lens as i'm not a sony shooter...

• Registered Users Posts: 47 BigPoppaFluff

zoegh wrote: »
    try adverts.ie for 2nd hand gear- i'm afraid i cant comment on the actual lens as i'm not a sony shooter...

Thanks for that..
    Is it advisable buying on adverts?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

For the Portraits you should be looking at a lens about 85mm. A prime would probably be best. I think the Sony will accept the Minolta lens range.

For the Landscapes you would probably be looking for a wide lens. It doesn't have to be fast though. You will also need a good tripod.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Thanks for that..
    Is it advisable buying on adverts?

Adverts is a branch of boards, is quite well moderated. I have bought cameras, ipods and sold stuff on there without a problem. Obviously you can never be 100% sure with anything second hand, anywhere, but I've never had an issue. A lot of boardsies buy and sell gear on there regularly.

Deffo look at the minolta lenses, like cabansail advised- i've heard they're great.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭hopelessOne

A kit-lens replacement suitable for landscapes, macro and portraits? [If you're looking to buy just one lens then] I think without a doubt the lens that you want is the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8...

It has roughly the same focal length as the kit lens (17-50 vs 18-70), it's wide enough for landscapes and fast enough for indoor portraits. It is sharp, with a shallow depth-of-field for portraits and it is light/small enough to leave permanently attached to the camera. It's not really a macro lens but (from memory) it focuses closer than a 50 f/1.7 and I've certainly used it on flowers etc.

Where to buy it? I've usually had good success with eBay (though mostly for accessories not lenses), adverts.ie rarely has any Sony/Minolta stuff so I'd suggest Jessops or Warehouse Express (new) or keeping any eye on Ffordes. Also try the "Equipment for Sale" sections of Dyxum and DynaxDigital

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭gerkeo

I picked up a 20year old konika minolta 50mm f1.7 lens of ebay for €50, excellent purchase for my a200.

I've also got the sal18250 lens, very good all rounder zoom lens imo.

i use dyxum.com as my refernece site for all my sony alpha purchases

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭hopelessOne

gerkeo wrote: »
    I picked up a 20year old konika minolta 50mm f1.7 lens of ebay for €50, excellent purchase for my a200.

You'll love that Minolta 50 f/1.7 -- I call it my "eye lens" because if the subject has eyes then the 50 is the lens I want to use! Soooo sharp and great colours. Only downside is the narrow depth-of-field can make it tricky to get everything in focus when it's wide-open.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 BigPoppaFluff

Fantastic advise
    Thanks very much :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 45 rtyped

gerkeo wrote: »

couldn't agree more, I've the exact same kit and find it great. the 18250 is a great package for holidays etc. and I've gotten great use from my 50mm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

The Minolta 50mm f/1.7 was the only reason I didn't want to move from a sony dslr. Beauty of a lens, and cheap as chips. I was lucky to get mine in the bundle with a used A200. I sold it in the end for €100 - a 20yr old lens! Added bonus on them is that people will pay as much as you did for it if you decide to ever sell it on. Win-win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭Antomus Prime

I use a Sony Alpha A100, Love it.

For Landscape and Zoom shots I have a Minolta 100 - 300 telephoto lens.

Just recently I bought A Sony DAF 50mm f1.8 lens which is fantastic for portraits or any sort of indoor shots.

Advertisement