Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athlone - Walk along the river?

Options
  • 01-08-2010 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭

Hi - is there a footpath along the shannon in Athlone where you can go for a walk?
    If so - about how long is it?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭tubos

Yes there is one that begins under the railway bridge on the west side on Grace Road. You walk along the river up towards the athlone by-pass bridge, the walk then turns to the left and brings you back around along Talbot Avenue beside a small river/canal and back to Grace Road. I'd say it's only about a mile of a walk (I think it might even be called the Mile walk!!). It's a nice walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭WaltKowalski

Thanks - will check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

You can go the other direction from the railway bridge as well. Along the promenade, under the town bridge, towards the locks and to the Big Meadow.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭tubos

whyulittle wrote: »
    You can go the other direction from the railway bridge as well. Along the promenade, under the town bridge, towards the locks and to the Big Meadow.

How do you get to the Big Meadow from the locks? didn't know you could walk around there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Eh, not quite sure. I did see some people walking the bank there last week though. I'm sure someone on here will know.

• Advertisement
Advertisement