Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1st racer

• 01-08-2010 9:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

I am buying my first racer for light riding 3/4 times a week. Any advice on which bikes are recommended? Ive been looking at the trek 1.2 and giant defy. My budget is 800 euro max!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

fez22 wrote: »
    I am buying my first racer for light riding 3/4 times a week. Any advice on which bikes are recommended? Ive been looking at the trek 1.2 and giant defy. My budget is 800 euro max!

I have the defy and am happy with it - don't think there is too much of a difference between the two.

There's also a felt z100 and specialized allez 17 in the same price range.

Im sure someone more knowledgeable than me will chime in.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭juansheet

Giant Defy 3.5 for 675.......just got one. first racer.highly recommend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

i got my 1st in april. Specialized allez good bike worth a look

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 healthygirl

Got a trek 1.2 2 months ago and love it. Had to get upgraded wheels (Mavic CXP 33) as I'm quite heavy. Front derailleur is a bit of a pain as it rubs in quite a few gears and adjustment hasn't sorted it. I think you get tiagra front on the 1.5 which would probably justify the extra spend. Also budget for a replacement saddle, the standard one was torture after 40km!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 fez22

I have looked at the halfords model and the Focus Variado from wiggle for 740euro. Its got 105 gears against what is said to be better than the more basic sora on the trek. Do you think it would be better to buy a bike from a local dealer(i am down the country) in terms of getting repairs etc. despite the spec being really good on the Focus? Would these bikes mentioned see me through rides with a club at weekends?

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭goldencleric

Just got a focus variado from Wiggle and its a great bike! ... 105 for that money is quite a bargain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

as a guy who recently bought my first road bike, i found the focus on wiggle to be quiet heavy, frame doesnt seem best, the cube aerial isnt bad bike either.

Advertisement