Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good Old David Millar Abdicates responsibility for his doping

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

have a small bit of sympathy for the guy. hard to blame individuals for doping when they probably feel everyone else is at it and they need to do it just to have an even playing field. would be more inclined to have a go at the team directors/doctors/authorities etc. as a matter of interest - if a cyclist is banned for doping - are there any (other than reputational) consequences for the team directors etc ?

I have no sympathy for people who make a conscious decision to cheat their way to the podium and who then preach to the rest of us about how the sport which they have dirtied should be cleaned up.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

Hermy wrote: »
    I have no sympathy for people who make a conscious decision to cheat their way to the podium and who then preach to the rest of us about how the sport which they have dirtied should be cleaned up.

yeah i'd agree. but the guys who introduced him to doping etc - you leave them in place so the next 19 year old who shows up goes down the same road ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

While the brave option at the time of his doping would have been to do what Bassons did and say no, write a column for a newspaper during a tour and then write a book about your experiences, not everyone is made of that kind of stuff. So he doped.

Millar wasn't a bad egg in a peloton full of angels, they were all at it. At most maybe 1 or 2 people on each team were not doping. He was just unlucky to get caught.

Yes, Millar did wrong so whats he supposed to do now? Just sit there and say nothing when they ask him how the sport could be changed? I don't understand how he shouldn't be allowed to comment on how the sport can be cleaned up. He's contrite, riding clean, managing a (probably) clean team. What's he supposed to do?

• Advertisement

He's contrite...

I beg to differ. Sorry Pete.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

what a twat - what about taking responsibility of what u put in your own body!!!
    The two syringes found at my house were the ones with which I injected myself while I was there. I kept them to remind me that I had become world champion at Hamilton while I was doped. I had dreamed of being a world champion but I had done it through trickery.

I think Pete summed it up pretty well, the guy is plagued with guilt about what he did, I don't think he was ever under any illusions about what he was doing to his health or his sport. Is he wrong to attack the culture of doping and draw people's attention to the fact that doping isn't just internal pressure from the riders to succeed but from their teams?

The title of the video says it all bob; "road to ruin", I don't see why you are kicking the guy while he is down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Hermy wrote: »
    I beg to differ. Sorry Pete.

Why do you think that? Do you think he was laying into the EPO from the word go? Is the whole garmin/clean thing a load of bull? Do you think he doesn't want a clean sport?

I still don't see what is wrong with Millar commenting on how the sport should be cleaned up. Can someone explain it?

He also had a bit of a break down after being caught, which would probably suggest some sort of regret.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

Why do you think that? Do you think he was laying into the EPO from the word go? Is the whole garmin/clean thing a load of bull? Do you think he doesn't want a clean sport?

I still don't see what is wrong with Millar commenting on how the sport should be cleaned up. Can someone explain it?

He also had a bit of a break down after being caught, which would probably suggest some sort of regret.

Im confused, he is talking about his own experiences in THAT video which the whole thread started out for, I didnt hear him saying anything hypocritical, just filling in the gaps for people who wanted to know how he got where he got not making any suggestions about others IIRC

Pete think of my post as a tangent to yours, just using it to build on.

I think it's very hard to know what's bull and what isn't in professional cycling at the moment.
    To be honest I think the sport needs to be rid of his ilk before it can move on, if it ever will.
    There's nothing wrong with Millar commenting on how the sport should be cleaned up but I think he is too quick to blame others for his actions and paint himself as a victim.
    Regret at being caught? His reputation was in tatters and his lucrative career potentially over - coupled withh the stress of an investigation I'm not surprised he had a breakdown.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

that interview obviously goes alot more into detail

anybody know where you can see the rest of it?

Advertisement