Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lens Repair

• 01-08-2010 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi all..

As the title suggests i am looking at getting a lens repaired,
    the error message is saying the contacts aren't connecting,
    would really appreciate advice as to where does very quick repair, and if anyone has a clue as to how much it may cost.

Many thanks
    mcd17

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Are other lenses OK on that body?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 MCD17

Hi cabansail

Yes everthing else perfect .. tried lens on other bodies and same message...
    :-(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

What brand & model is the lens?

It's a Canon 17-85 IS ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭zerohamster

I do repair if you are interested I could take a look?
    Has it been dropped, left in damp or moist condition, used in the rain?
    When it connects to the camera is there a vibrating noise (ie the aperature rapidly vibrating or does the lens simply cause the error on the body whilst appearing dead?
    Where are you based?

Thanks

• Advertisement

also the cost depends on if parts need replacement or if it can be fixed without parts but Id say with parts probably €100 (cant say for sure without knowing they fault or what needs replacing)

Hi zerohamster

Thanks for the reply,
    Hasn't been dropped or anything, literally mid takin a picture I got the error code.
    More the latter that u mentioned.. it appears dead, if I take it off and put back on and nearly push body and lens together I might get one shot out of it, if that makes sense?

I'm in drogheda, how about you?
    Thanks so much
    Mcd

Ah I see, Ive seen a few like that that would get one shot and appear dead or simply just not react at all with the body but its probably the main PCB at fault but in some cases the diaphragm can be which is more of a problem.
    When the lens does work for one shot in the way you mentioned with pressure applied can you use the depth of field preview button to test to see if the diaphragm opens and closes ok?
    If it only cycles only once then it quite possibly is the diaphragm that is faulty,If you can keep pressing pressing the button and using different f-stops then the diaphragm might not be the fault which will be much quicker to fix (especially try the f/22 or f32 when zoomed to see if it is jammed or causing the error)

Im in Greystones just south of bray so its not too far out (45min drive give or take from the city centre), Ill PM you my address if you are interested.

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

Same lens same problem for me:mad::mad:

Bought mine 2nd hand in Conns had it about 8 months and this problem started. Not very sympathatic either. Have heard that problem a few times with that lens.

MCD17 Best of luck hope zerohamster can you get sorted

zerohamster Would appreciate if you could pm me quote for what looks like similar job.

Just to come back and thank Zerohamster for fixing the lens, very quick and effecient and nice to deal with.

Working well since and fingers crossed it remains that way ;-)

I would definatley recommend zerohamster!!

• Advertisement

MCD17 wrote: »
    Just to come back and thank Zerohamster for fixing the lens, very quick and effecient and nice to deal with.

Working well since and fingers crossed it remains that way ;-)

I would definatley recommend zerohamster!!

Thanks for that Nicky :)

I appreciate the feedback very much so.
    Im glad its going well and it should do for a long time yet, I hope the wedding shoots went well for you that weekend too :)

Cheers again and best of luck, Any more problems just let me know :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

Hello Zerohamster, just curious, what was the problem with the lens? I have a 17-85 too.

Regards,
    Noel.

kelly1 wrote: »
    Hello Zerohamster, just curious, what was the problem with the lens? I have a 17-85 too.

Regards,
    Noel.
    Hi Noel,

there is a design flaw with the 17-85mm where the diaphragm cable is folded and is squashed too much when at the wide angle end of the zoom. through use it eventually ends up cracking the electronic tracks inside and the lens will not function at the wide end, (usually from 17-24/35mm) but would get worse with further use.
    The camera will give an error 99 when you take a shot at the wide end but usually works ok at the telephoto end, you can test to see this specific error by:

1. zooming to the wide end starting at 17mm.
    2. selecting a high aperture value (ie a smaller hole and something that is visible to the eye from the front of the lens).
    3. use the depth of field preview button at different focal lengths to test the range of focal length that actually works.

Depending on the use the lens gets the fault will occur sooner or later and is the #1 fault these lenses get so its something to think about when buying one second hand or even new.

I hope this helps :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

Thanks, that's handy to know! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

Just got my lens back tonight from Zerohamster and delighted to say its working fine. I stopped on the way home and took a few shots so hopefully it will stay that way.

Just like MCD17 said earlier The service was on time, friendly and courteous. On the evidence of what I have seen I would recommend if any of you have a problem with a lens to contact Zerohamster. Nice fella to deal with

LeoB

LeoB wrote: »
    Just got my lens back tonight from Zerohamster and delighted to say its working fine. I stopped on the way home and took a few shots so hopefully it will stay that way.

Just like MCD17 said earlier The service was on time, friendly and courteous. On the evidence of what I have seen I would recommend if any of you have a problem with a lens to contact Zerohamster. Nice fella to deal with

LeoB

Cheer for the feedback Leo :) any problems just let me know.

Good luck with the shooting and I hope the light painting/trials went well :)

Best Regards

Advertisement