Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Orwell Randonee-Any newbies?

• 01-08-2010 11:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,069 ✭✭✭✭

Are there any other newbies or strugglers entering this? Im seriously thinking entering it at the moment but cycle alone and looking at the course and driving part of it, its tough but doable and dont want to find on the day that every one else has been cycling for years and can burn the course

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Ghosty669

neris wrote: »
    Are there any other newbies or strugglers entering this? Im seriously thinking entering it at the moment but cycle alone and looking at the course and driving part of it, its tough but doable and dont want to find on the day that every one else has been cycling for years and can burn the course

Don't worry neris. We've been pushing a few of the newer touring members of Orwell to give it a go and so you won't be alone.

I also think that anyone trying to burn through this course is defo going to pay for it later in the day!

Let me know if you have any other questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,069 ✭✭✭✭neris

thanks ghosty for that. just 2 more question. is there a time limit? and is it ok to start before 9am if reg is done early? will enter anyway be a nice "little" challenge for a sunday morning.

thanks

neris wrote: »
    thanks ghosty for that. just 2 more question. is there a time limit? and is it ok to start before 9am if reg is done early? will enter anyway be a nice "little" challenge for a sunday morning.

thanks

Hey neris. There isn't a time limit so there's no problem with going ahead early. My only concern about that is the marshals may not have taken their positions by that time so caution is advised for the first few km. Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭paddymacsporran

Better starting off at the right time and sitting on a steady group, you will use much less energy early on....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

i am not a n00b but I am slow so you'll have some company don't worry :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭stas

Another noob is looking for a slow pack too. ;)

Only started cycling a month ago, clocked about 750km so far, longest was 97.5km in ww. A bit worried about this 135km, never been past Sallys! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭godihatedehills

I'm all signed up, should be a good one :)

I think it's expensive - €35 for entry, sure you get a 'hot meal' at the end, but it's still expensive compared to other rides around - Lakeshore wheelers sportive was €20 with a goodie bag, Kilkenny one was €20 with the same, South East Road Club was €15 with goodie bag and free t-shirt. All above were to raise club funds, which is fair enough.

So call they call it a randonee and charge almost double? I thought randonee's were over specific distances anyway, 100, 200, 300 400k etc....!!

Would love to know what makes this one so special - The Martin Earley Tour of Kildare is €35, but the proceeds go to the Marie Keating fund, so what are Orwell proposing to do with the profits?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I think it's expensive too in comparison to other clubs. If I recall correctly, last year it was a tenner. As far as I know, they're using it as a fundraising drive. I'll probably do it since I'm a member.

Yeah, it's fair enough them raising funds, but it seems a bit steep for that alone - As a result I will probably just go on a spin myself that day instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

I'm a relative novice too and I have signed up for this. I really only took up cycling for anything other than commuting this year. I have cycled over 100k a number of times and have done most of this course in bits and pieces before(me in bits and it in pieces!) but a hilly 130k will be a first for me. I cycle a fair bit alone so don't bother stopping. I am banking on the resuscitatory powers of the food stop to extend my endurance. The fact that, for a change, I won't be racing home for something or other should also help. You will be in good company, neris.

By the way, if a fellow northsider wants a lift, I can comfortably get another bike into my familymobile. I'm in Killester.

I think it's expensive - €35 for entry, sure you get a 'hot meal' at the end, but it's still expensive compared to other rides around - Lakeshore wheelers sportive was €20 with a goodie bag, Kilkenny one was €20 with the same, South East Road Club was €15 with goodie bag and free t-shirt. All above were to raise club funds, which is fair enough.

So call they call it a randonee and charge almost double? I thought randonee's were over specific distances anyway, 100, 200, 300 400k etc....!!

Would love to know what makes this one so special - The Martin Earley Tour of Kildare is €35, but the proceeds go to the Marie Keating fund, so what are Orwell proposing to do with the profits?

The reasoning behind the pricing of this sportive is 2 fold:

1. We have no sponsorship or volunteer group to assist us with so everything needs to be paid for out of the entry fee.
    2. Since we are ‘rebooting’ the sportive to bring it up to a standard that most people expect at this stage, there are several once off payments that need to be dealt with.

Our queries (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055947185) have shown that a lot of people aren’t interested in goodie bags but would prefer that the money is put into the event itself which is what we are endeavouring to do. The plan with any profit will be to feed it back into the club to be used by all members.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,069 ✭✭✭✭neris

signed up today so no going back now. just need to work on a toughish 100k for this saturday to get the head in gear :(

neris, let me know if you're looking for a company.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Ghosty669 wrote: »
    Our queries (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055947185) have shown that a lot of people aren’t interested in goodie bags but would prefer that the money is put into the event itself which is what we are endeavouring to do.

you devious people, why not ask people what they wanted instead of posing a question :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭lafors

I'll be doing this and taking it easy, doing the Etape Hibernia the week after so saving my legs for that....well that's my excuse :)
    PM me if ye want to meet before the start, we might get a newbie/easy group going.

Can somebody please help? If I sign up online for the Randonee thing, can I then buy the CI license on the day before the start? Will there be someone selling them?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

stas wrote: »
    Can somebody please help? If I sign up online for the Randonee thing, can I then buy the CI license on the day before the start? Will there be someone selling them?

Alas no, you have to go through the web site AFAIK or pay a day license on the day.

http://www.cyclingireland.ie/Registration-Type.aspx
    If you get the membership number on the website then most events let you just submit that as I keep forgetting my card but that doesn't mean they will, they don't have to. It's just the card can take a few days/fortnight

Thanks for the tips, I didn't even get my password yet, never mind the card :)

So I can get a day license on the day, even if I sign up for Randonee online (30+10)? Or do I have to pay for both 35+10 on the day?

That's what I'm trying to find out: it will be messy if I can't get a day license on the day because I signed up online for Randonee :)

Sorry, these might be very obvious things, but I'm well on-topic - it's my first challenge :)

Thanks for the tips, I didn't even get my password yet, never mind the card :)

So I can get a day license on the day, even if I sign up for Randonee online (30+10)? Or do I have to pay for both 35+10 on the day?

That's what I'm trying to find out: it will be messy if I can't get a day license on the day because I signed up online for Randonee :)

Sorry, these might be very obvious things, but I'm well on-topic - it's my first challenge :)

Hey stas to answer your question : we plan on entrants being able to pick up a one day licence at the event so you can get one on Sunday. Regarding price: I belive these licence types may have dropped in price to 5 euro but I'm ringing Cycling Ireland today for confirmation.
    Regarding your entry online, can you check your inbox as I sent you an email regarding this.
    So for you the cost should be 30 for online entry and 5 (to be confirmed) for a one day licence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭buffalo

CramCycle wrote: »
    Alas no, you have to go through the web site AFAIK or pay a day license on the day.

I have the most basic (introductory) membership of CI - I don't even have a card. Does this cover me for the randonee?

buffalo wrote: »
    I have the most basic (introductory) membership of CI - I don't even have a card. Does this cover me for the randonee?

Hey buffalo : while you don't need the card, you will need the licence number when registering on the day to complete the form.

Ghosty669 wrote: »
    Hey stas to answer your question : we plan on entrants being able to pick up a one day licence at the event so you can get one on Sunday. Regarding price: I belive these licence types may have dropped in price to 5 euro but I'm ringing Cycling Ireland today for confirmation.
    Regarding your entry online, can you check your inbox as I sent you an email regarding this.
    So for you the cost should be 30 for online entry and 5 (to be confirmed) for a one day licence.

Stas : talked to Cycling Ireland this morning and confirmed that for this event the one day licence is 5 euro.

Just 24 hours remain before the online registration closes so if you haven't already entered, do so now to avail of the 5 euro discount.

Ghosty669, thanks for your help! Everything seems to be sorted now - signed up online and got an introductory licence from CI too! Won't have a card, but will bring the CI page printout.

Ghosty669, thanks for your help! Everything seems to be sorted now - signed up online and got an introductory licence from CI too! Won't have a card, but will bring the CI page printout.

Great stuff stas. Glad to hear you're sorted. See you Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭lafors

Fellow slow/newbie people ;)
    I'll be wearing my "old skool" boards jersey tomorrow....none of that fancy new black/pink gear..... say hello if you see me and we might get a group going :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Arthurdaly

so if i'm not a member of CI this event will cost me 45euro? A little expensive?

Arthurdaly wrote: »
    so if i'm not a member of CI this event will cost me 45euro? A little expensive?

Actually 40 euro and if you had registered online like we were advising, you could have saved another 5 euro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Arthurdaly

My bad, even at 40 is very expensive compared to other clubs!

I disagree. We are the same as any of the An Post series of cycles and cheaper than the Etape Hibernia which at 54 plus a one day licence, is 15 euros more expensive than us.

this was the best near death experience of my life, i loved it. my inner child was so sick after one of the climbs he near fell out.

well done to organizers and participants! it was fun.

Advertisement