Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone identify this caterpillar?

• 01-08-2010 11:46pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I saw this guy recently and was amazed by the colours. My internet searching suggests it's an emperor moth, but all the sites say they spots are yellow/orange, but this one had bright pink spots. Anyone got any ideas?

caterpillar.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Improbable

on second thought, i was completely wrong. I still think its one of the swallowtail family though. Probably from the genus Papilio

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

The picture you posted first does look a bit like it but again it has yellow/orange spots on them, these were bright pink. I wonder is it possible their colours can be affected by their environment/diet?

The colours can indeed be affected by diet.

You might be right about it being a small emperor moth actually. They can indeed have pink markings like below:

686085343_ecc4e43410_o.jpg

Don't know about the hairiness but i think it fits more with the markings being slightly raised which i think i can see in your photograph.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Improbable wrote: »
    You might be right about it being a small emperor moth actually. They can indeed have pink markings like below:

686085343_ecc4e43410_o.jpg

Don't know about the hairiness but i think it fits more with the markings being slightly raised which i think i can see in your photograph.

Yep, they were slightly raised. From all the looking I've done it seems most likely that it's an Emperor moth. I was hoping it was something rare and amazing, but alas it seems to be a pretty common one :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement