Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky HD

Options
  • 02-08-2010 12:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

Hi,i currently have a full HD tv with a sky+ box.i was thinking of upgrading to Sky HD and i was just wondering does anyone know if the Sky HD box makes any difference to the picture quality of the TV even though i have a full HD tv :confused:.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

desdman wrote: »
    Hi,i currently have a full HD tv with a sky+ box.i was thinking of upgrading to Sky HD and i was just wondering does anyone know if the Sky HD box makes any difference to the picture quality of the TV even though i have a full HD tv :confused:.

yes it does, as the standard box does not have the ability to pass hd resolution to a hd tv.

wrong forum mate too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭200motels

yes it does, as the standard box does not have the ability to pass hd resolution to a hd tv.

wrong forum mate too

How is it in the wrong forum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

200motels wrote: »
    How is it in the wrong forum?

Was this thread moved?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,891 ✭✭✭JDxtra

I don't have a Sky HD box, but some people report that it actually decreases the quality of the standard (non-HD) channels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

JDxtra wrote: »
    I don't have a Sky HD box, but some people report that it actually decreases the quality of the standard (non-HD) channels.

I would agree with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Have a HD box myself and the standard def picture is fine-usually it's the tv settings that need tweaking.The World Cup was great in HD,so the Premier League is something to look forward to.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭bcirl03

zerks wrote: »
    Have a HD box myself and the standard def picture is fine-usually it's the tv settings that need tweaking.The World Cup was great in HD,so the Premier League is something to look forward to.

Winter Olympics last Feb were fab too :)

Unsure if the extra sub is worth it. More than likley will cancel it once the 12 months is up.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭desdman

Thanks for all the helpfull info.i think i will go ahead with it cause i also have sky multiroom(€15 per month) at the moment but i don't use it cause of the huge "50" inch tv i have in the sitting room so i'm going to cancel sky multiroom and order sky hd.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Barack Obama

bcirl03 wrote: »

Unsure if the extra sub is worth it. More than likley will cancel it once the 12 months is up.

That's the problem. Sky and $$$$$ :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,891 ✭✭✭JDxtra

desdman wrote: »
    Thanks for all the helpfull info.i think i will go ahead with it cause i also have sky multiroom(€15 per month) at the moment but i don't use it cause of the huge "50" inch tv i have in the sitting room so i'm going to cancel sky multiroom and order sky hd.:)

I find the FTA channels are plenty - especially for a second TV in the bedroom/kitchen.
    bcirl03 wrote: »

The winter Olympics & the World Cup were shared between ITV HD & BBC HD - these do not require a HD subscription.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Just spotted the new presenter on Skysports news-looking forward to seeing her in HD:D:D:D

JDxtra wrote: »
    I find the FTA channels are plenty - especially for a second TV in the bedroom/kitchen.

But we never use the second tv in the house so there's no point in keeping sky multiroom when i can get sky HD for the same price

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭hawthorn

I have a major gripe with Sky HD box reducing the quality of the SD signal. I only got HD as it was the cheapest way at the time, of getting Sky+ as I was an existing customer (thanks for the loyalty penalty Sky). I dont have Sky Sports or Movies and so just have the other HD channels. Naturally theyre very good but I hardly ever look at them.

But my SD channels have become, in my opinion, dull and lifeless at times. Out in the kitchen, where I put the old 12 year old box and a €300 Finlux 32" TV the flippin' free channels are sparklingly clear!! So frustrating!

In this day and age how do we all put up with advances in technology which cost €15 a month, actually making things worse.....:mad:

Even if I get rid of HD after the year Im still left with an inferior picture. On another point, should I hold onto HD in case it becomes free soon?

kc

hawthorn wrote: »
    I have a major gripe with Sky HD box reducing the quality of the SD signal. I only got HD as it was the cheapest way at the time, of getting Sky+ as I was an existing customer (thanks for the loyalty penalty Sky). I dont have Sky Sports or Movies and so just have the other HD channels. Naturally theyre very good but I hardly ever look at them.

But my SD channels have become, in my opinion, dull and lifeless at times. Out in the kitchen, where I put the old 12 year old box and a €300 Finlux 32" TV the flippin' free channels are sparklingly clear!! So frustrating!

In this day and age how do we all put up with advances in technology which cost €15 a month, actually making things worse.....:mad:

Even if I get rid of HD after the year Im still left with an inferior picture. On another point, should I hold onto HD in case it becomes free soon?

kc

Did you try changing some of the picture settings on your T.V. i.e. Colour,Contrast,Sharpness,Brightness ? That might be your problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭hawthorn

No, the same TV (1 yr old 42" Panasonci) was perfect with the old Sky box. I think it is generally accepted that SD is not as good through the HD box.

h

Advertisement