Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farscape appreciation thread .

Options
  • 02-08-2010 2:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭

A criminally underrated series that at its zenith (season 3) was one the most imaginative and rewarding hours (ok 3/4 of an hour) of television out there .

If you don't love this show you're all completely farbot and frelled in the head :p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

23 views and not one post :confused:

Where the scapers at !?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

One word: muppets ;)

One word: muppets ;)

Three words :suspension of disbelief ;)

You can buy a whole universe of bumpy nosed aliens ala star trek but not genuinely alien looking creatures ?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Excellent series - one of the most innovative there's been in decades. Original in many areas - the use of puppets is one of the reasons it works for me, because it allows for more diverse aliens rather than the bland ridged forehead/ears that Trek give us.

Lots of other great stuff, such as Season 3 and
    driving your lead character actually insane
    . What other sci-fi shows would have a lead enemy dressed in S&M gear or do a one-off animated episode? Vary its tone from mad humour to really bleak tones but nearly always tell a compelling story.

Maybe it was something of Australia seeping in but I can't recall another sci-fi show being so bonkers and deep at the same time (only "Blake's 7" makes me think of it).

ixoy wrote: »
    Excellent series - one of the most innovative there's been in decades. Original in many areas - the use of puppets is one of the reasons it works for me, because it allows for more diverse aliens rather than the bland ridged forehead/ears that Trek give us.

Lots of other great stuff, such as Season 3 and
    driving your lead character actually insane
    . What other sci-fi shows would have a lead enemy dressed in S&M gear or do a one-off animated episode? Vary its tone from mad humour to really bleak tones but nearly always tell a compelling story.

Maybe it was something of Australia seeping in but I can't recall another sci-fi show being so bonkers and deep at the same time (only "Blake's 7" makes me think of it).

Here here *raises a glass* :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Jaysys, mentions of Blakes 7... oh well, fair play OP, I'll check out Farscape.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Farscape would definately be my second favourite Sci-Fi show of all time (sitting just behind Babylon 5, of course!). The character arc's are excellent, while a lot of it shows fairly neatly tied up episodes, the effects the episodes have on the characters keeps buildings and most of the characters develop so much throughout all the seasons.

Theres also some excellent multiparters, the Shadow Repository, the Gammack Base, etc. It's just such a shame that they never got to do the Peace Keeper wars as a full season to give us a proper closing season.

Some of the comedy episodes were hysterical too, like the Road Runner one (Acmetacular!), or the body swap episode (Aerin: "Come on, they're right THERE"), edit: Scorpi in an Hawaiian shirt!

Also some of the things that happened to poor old Crichton throughout! Everything from
    Going absolutely bat sh*t crazy, being twinned, falling in love, dieing! more than once, being jealous of your dead "twin", becoming a nuclear terrorist.....
    . It's just a hard couple of years for poor John :)

Also has to have the most interesting and well done love story in Sci-Fi history.

Trojan wrote: »
    Jaysys, mentions of Blakes 7... oh well, fair play OP, I'll check out Farscape.

And another Scaper is born :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

As always, Ixoy excellently sums it up. 1++.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

A criminally underrated series that at its zenith (season 3) was one the most imaginative and rewarding hours (ok 3/4 of an hour) of television out there .

Blasphemy. Season 3 was by no means its zenith.

The Peacekeeper Wars was every bit as good.

• Advertisement

bonkey wrote: »
    Blasphemy. Season 3 was by no means its zenith.

The Peacekeeper Wars was every bit as good.

It was never as consistently awsome as it was in season 3 , not saying the peacekeeper wars mini series wasn't great but thats what four hours of greatness versus the 20 odd hours of awsomness season 3 provided.

Has anyone read the comics detailing what happened next?

ixoy wrote: »
    Has anyone read the comics detailing what happened next?

Yeh I have they're not a patch on the Serenity/firefly graphic novels tbh , maybe the craziness of farscape just works better on screen rather then on page .

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭sushisushi

There's comics? Details, please! I burned through all 4 series and the miniseries in the last few months and wouldn't say no to more Farscape goodness.

sushisushi wrote: »
    There's comics? Details, please! I burned through all 4 series and the miniseries in the last few months and wouldn't say no to more Farscape goodness.

Of course there are every cult series get's one these days , its a great way to tie up the arcs/loose ends from canceled series .

Here you go

• Registered Users Posts: 6,078 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Talyn..... STARBURST.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

One word...EPIC!

second favorite sci fi show

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

Rewatching it at the moment myself. It's still surprisingly fresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭OmeGar

Am currently watching for the first time at the moment, Couldn't commit when it was on the tele. I am just so glad i have hte whole boxset, as the Cliffhangers are brilliant....

Random stuff that pops into my head on seeing the word 'Farscape':

Crichton: Who's your daddy? Who's your daddy? D'Argo, tell them who their daddy is!
    D'Argo: I'm your daddy!

The 1812 overture.

Water flooding down steps.

A spinning steaming rod.

ACME anvils

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

anyone know where i can get the 4th series of Farscape on dvd?
    i have the first 3 on region 2 but can't find the last series

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

Amazing stuff altogether!

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

I only started watching it a few weeks ago and can shoot myself for having waited so long ;)

I am half way season 3 now I am just love it!

Just hoping I won't have withdrawal symptoms when I finish The Peacekeeper Wars.

Next will probably be Babylon 5 which I also never really watched

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

bigar wrote: »
    Next will probably be Babylon 5 which I also never really watched
    Your in for a treat, Farscape and Babylon 5 are my top 2 sci fi's of all time, B5 takes the top spot :)

The first season is a bit dodgy, but a lot of what happens is important for the other seasons, which quickly become awesome. By the end of season 2 your sleeping pattern will probably start to suffer with a dose of "just... one... more...... is that the sun ?!".

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭fabricator

Hi, does anybody have or know anybody who has Farscape - The Ultimate Collection DVDS including The Peacekeeper Wars. They cost a fortune to buy and I would like to find out if they are worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Gneez

Just started watching it recently, loving it its very different than most seriousbusiness sci-fi's, still second place to firefly though!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 p1000

Just rewatched the whole 4 series (haven't seen the peacekeeper wars yet) and what a fantastic show! The horrible thing is that no one else i know has even heard of it, much less seen it. I wish Zhaan hadn't had to leave, that freaky blue bitch was cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭shampooman

I'm not usually a sci-fi man but I love farscape! The characters are amazing and you do really get lost in their world. I'm sad that I've finished the series but so happy to have found it. A genuinely amazing show despite it's slow start :) 10/10 for me. One of my favourite shows of all time!

Advertisement