Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Temporary Tattoo?

Options
  • 02-08-2010 3:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭

Hello! :)

I have wanted a tattoo for many years now and I have a few designs I'd like to have inked to my skin. However, as I've not been tattoo'd before I'd like to get a temporary one for a while. It's a personal experiment to see whether or not I'll get sick of the tattoo after looking at it for a prolonged period.

I'm not sure if there is such a thing though. I would imagine there is some way of getting the design I want on my skin temporarily. But I have no idea how to go about it or where I would find such a service.

Can anyone help me? Any info/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

CR

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Your best best would be henna, but afaik that only comes in brown/black, so if you want a colour tattoo it would be of limited help.
    There are inks labelled as being temporary but they are usually just designed to break up more easily, so you'd need to go get them laser removed anyway.

Could be worth getting a patient (someone who'll take the time to repeatedly draw it on you for whatever duration you want as a trial) artistic friend to even just draw the design on you repeatedly for a period, give you some idea of how it will look on the location you want it, but keep in mind it won't be the same as the tattoo since there'll be variation in the colours between the drawn on version and the tattoo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭CK2010

afaik stargazer do tattoo pens, dunno what they are but vaguely remember seeing them on the bodyjewelleryshop website. think they're like markers for your skin to do something like the previous poster said, could be entirely wrong though, no harm in checking them out.

another option is just draw your design on a page and stick it beside your bed or somewhere you're gonna see it day in day out. i know its not as ideal as having it on your body but at least if u get sick of seeing it on your wall you'll know you'll more than likely get sick of it being on your body too!

Good thinking CK2010, reminded me of this, and if I remember right Boots in the Jervis Street shopping centre had a similar kit for doing temporary tattoos on their upper floor.
    Both kits would still require some artistic flare on the user's part though.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

That Argos airbrush one would only need artistic flair in designing/cutting stencils to use it with TBH

That Argos airbrush one would only need artistic flair in designing/cutting stencils to use it with TBH

Except, since he/she didn't just get it in henna, I think he/she wants the tattoo with more than one colour, as such a single stencil would not do the trick and so:
    a) it's going to either be down to very careful placement of multiple stencils or some creative spraying like you sometimes see guys doing around town for creating spray-paint-paintings they sell. Either method is liable to have some sort of drying period between colours.
    b) if going the multiple stencils route the person designing them would need to be very precise and creative about the design of them. I certainly don't think I could do it right.:(

Another person doing the spraying would also simplify the issue of keeping the stencil in position while spraying yourself with the airbrush, if you want to use tape to do it you'd need to apply the tape while in the position you will be spraying in, which depending on where on your body the fake tattoo is to go may in and of itself be rather awkward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

The multiple stencils can be tricky alright. I've done multiple colour stencils myself, and so long as you put the thought into it, it can be reasonably easy. The choices of colour and their position and any colour overlaps (to use 2 colours to make a third) requires serious thought though, and I'd say would need testing to see how it turns out.

Advertisement