Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everest

Options
  • 02-08-2010 6:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi Guys

I am hoping to climb Mt Everest next year for a charity called moving mountains and in doing so be the first sligoman to set foot on the summit (to my knowledge). Such is the cost of an expedition to Everest i am looking for sponsorship.

I was wondering if anyone here knows of any companies in Sligo who would be willing/able to help fund this?. I know this is a bad time to seeking sponsorship but it is for a great cause.

Thanks

Henry

http://www.movingmountains.org.uk/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

see, I really don't get all these adventuring charity things.

Do you really care about the charity or are you just trying to get an excuse and money to climb everest?

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Gipo3

I dont see the point in looking for advice here going by the above reply. Obviously the moderator thinks your in this for your own benefit. All id say is just look into all the companies you can. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I'm not a moderator of the Sligo forum. Here I'm the same as any other poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

How about trying to get 'Call of the Wild' behind you? They've just moved premises so might be willing to make some sort of feature out of you doing this.....worth a try anyway, I think the owners' name in there is Eoin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭FarmerGreen

elprez wrote: »
    Hi Guys

Such is the cost of an expedition to Everest i am looking for sponsorship.
    >but it is for a great cause.
    >Thanks
    Henry

Its going to cost 50 grand isnt it.
    And the great cause is you climb Everest. At no expense to you.
    Despicable, I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭tedshredsonfire

Fks sake if the charity makes money and yer man gets to acomplish a dream wheres the losers? Win win I say and fk the begreudgers elprez. You might have a better chance of getting a small amount of money off a lot of people instead of a big amount off a few in the present climate.
    Also if you get someone like call of the wild say you will update their facebook/blog page on the weeks preceeding, during and after the event with training, prep etc so they see they are getting more for it. See if some of the media will give you a space in the weekender or champion etc as they are usually hungry for stories and then see if they will syndicate them out to their sister publications and a weekly spot in a paper will give you a lot more leverage with a sponser.

Above all good luck and well done on taking up the challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 elprez

Firstly I would like to thank those who responded positively to this post. I am a mountaineer with over fifteen years experience and if could afford to this on my own I wouldnt be looking for sponsorship. I have never done an adventure charity trip before and it was only after that I mentenioned in work that I had been accepted onto a team to go to everest that they suggested I do it for charity. In 2004 while travelling through africa I was with moving mountains there I have seen first hand the great work they are doing so for that reason I couldnt think of a btter cause.
    Lets be clear here I earned my place on the team I am not some rich guy who will have a sherpa drag my ass up the peak. I have had this dream since i was 11.

I know Eoin in call of the wild and he is going to help me with getting some of the eqipment.

I think this a great operttunity for local business to get some exposure on a bigger scale and add a Sligomans name to list of people who attemped this great mountain.
    My intention on the mountain is to use the likes of facebook and twitter to update my progress and possible a phone in to ocean fm as well.
    I will submit an articale to the champion and the weekender.

The actual cost of the expedition is €30,000 for those you who think its despicable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I would advise anybody working with or for charities which donate aid to Africa to read this book, 'Dead Aid: Why Aid is Not Working and How there is a Better Way for Africa', by Dambisa Moyo.

It outlines how, as aid to Africa has increased over the past decades, poverty, starvation & crime have actually increased as a direct result of it, how aid dependancy has caused more problems than it has solved & how the developed world uses aid as a tool to control Africa's policies & essentially rape the continent of many of it's natural resources.

A lot of the time, charity work is well intentioned, sometimes it even helps, but in many other cases it does more harm than good.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Firstly I would like to thank those who responded positively to this post. I am a mountaineer with over fifteen years experience and if could afford to this on my own I wouldnt be looking for sponsorship.

Best of luck with it elprez.
    Sounds like you're legit, I'd recommend pm-ing a moderator about removing the off topic, condescending posts. Report any posts which are offensive / off topic.

I'll be keeping track of your progress :)

Each man to his own greed and conscience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Cool Running

Fair play elprez,

Best of luck with it. It would be some achievement. To some of people giving out I mean surely if these trips etc are raising money for charity then its hardly a bad thing. Maybe some of these people are jealous.

Good luck with it anyways let us know how it goes

I would advise anybody working with or for charities which donate aid to Africa to read this book, 'Dead Aid: Why Aid is Not Working and How there is a Better Way for Africa', by Dambisa Moyo.
    QUOTE]

Had a look at that summary, very interesting. Seems about right! It can be very difficult to distribute the funds properly

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭coolegrain

i think it is superb...although i have no money, i'll donate whatever i can....would love to meet you as well to shake your hand and wish you good luck.....it's amazing what you'll do if you make it up...fair play and the very best of luck...really looking forward to following this.
    is there a page set up yet for yourself?...facebook / twitter etc ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

I would like to follow your progress with this also, best of luck!

Its pretty much a walk up.
    Japanese tourists, blind men and cripples survive the trip.
    Unless the weather changes.
    R.I.P. Leigh Mallory
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Mallory

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

Its pretty much a walk up.
    Japanese tourists, blind men and cripples survive the trip.
    R.I.P. Leigh Mallory

Seriously FarmerGreen there is no need for your smart remarks. If it's pretty much just a walk then I'd like to see you do it. If it's just a walk up then I'm sure you wouldn't need to train or anything for it. Maybe if you did it and didn't train for it we might see your name followed by RIP.

R.I.P. Leigh Mallory

I have heard it can do that on everest from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Glenalla

I would happily donate if you paid for your own expedition and didnt use monies people believed they had donated to charity to fund your adventure. However since you are collecting to fund your holiday then "I'm out!!!"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

OP how much would it cost to climb everest without the charity?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭alex73

Hi Guys

I am hoping to climb Mt Everest next year for a charity called moving mountains and in doing so be the first sligoman to set foot on the summit (to my knowledge). Such is the cost of an expedition to Everest i am looking for sponsorship.

I was wondering if anyone here knows of any companies in Sligo who would be willing/able to help fund this?. I know this is a bad time to seeking sponsorship but it is for a great cause.

Thanks

Henry

Its going to cost the "Charity" the guts of 30K for you to climb Mt. Everest. Plus the added risk, 3% of People who climb Mt. Everest die. So if you are married with Kids... your life insurance is null and void..

I think if you want to climb it for charity then do it on your own steam and get sponsorship, write a book, get the media behind you. I never give money to charities where the person is going on a walk in Brazil (aka a holiday) Running a marathon in Ireland for charity yes.. Climbing Everest is just too extravagant and a waste of money. However if you want to have it as a personal achievement in your life then you should pay.

you have to pay their government for a permit to climb it, right ?

• Advertisement

Forgot to add... You should lead by example, if you really believe in your charity then put your money where your mouth is, If you were paying 100% for the expedition and the money people were giving went 100% to the charity I would not have a problem. What I hate are the charity beggers like you would expect the trip paid and only a portion (usually 30%) goes to charity.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 elprez

Its not costing the charity anything for the climb. I will be covering half the cost out of my own pocket. I am not asking odinary punters to pay for my holiday. I was just looking to see if any local bucinesses would be interested in sponsoring a climb on everest as I think it would good PR for them.
    Once agin I would like to thank those who posted here whishing me good luck.

The majority of people climbing everest these days seek sponsorship and dont do it for charity. What I want to do is fly the sligo flag from the summit and raise money for a great cause

Paky it cost €30,000 euro to climb everest it is not costing the caherty a penny.

If I was married and had kids I wouldnt be doing this

If I secure the funds I will post links to the facebook and twitter pages so people can follow my progress

Its not costing the charity anything for the climb. I will be covering half the cost out of my own pocket.

So who is paying the other half 15K? Would it not be better to give that Money to charity than to pay for your climb?

Nobel adventure.. but not at my expense.

i think it's superb he is doing it....i cant wait to shake the mans hand and wish him luck...
    as for the money, i have no problem with it...he's not hiding anything, and the cost of the climb, which isnt exactly money which will go into a conservatory for his house or anything, is being openly discussed by him...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

Congrats Elprez,
    glad to hear you're doing something proactive!
    Best of luck with the sponsorship, I'll be looking out for you in the papers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

Its not costing the charity anything for the climb. I will be covering half the cost out of my own pocket. I am not asking odinary punters to pay for my holiday.

not really following the math on this one... if you are paying half the cost and the charity are not paying anything, are you saying the half that is fundraised by piggybacking a charity is not really a cost?:cool:

the bottom line is that a significant amount of money raised in the name of charities, by dream ventures such as this, goes to someone not directly involved with the charity,

not where i want to see my contributions going but all the same good luck with the climb.

Heres a mad idea lads, stay with its a bit complicated, if you have a problem with the concept then don't contribute a donation. The difference here betweeen this guys and a chugger is he is being totally upfront about whats involved and costs etc.
    Go on elprez and best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

I don't think it's a bad idea but i can't imagine any local business donating €30,000 or even €15,000 for this especially not in these economic times. They would be thinking about how long it would take for them to earn it back and it'd be a long wait I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭MoonDancer

Just want to say good luck with the climb, you have my support.
    I can't believe some of these posts here.....

• Advertisement
Advertisement