Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everest

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭daingeanrob

best of luck elprez, if any of you knew this guy and i suspect i do, they would know him and his family as tireless youth leaders and for what it's worth i hope you put a 2nd/3rd sligo flag up there henry!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 elprez

thanks daingeanrob I will be taking my old 3rd Sligo neckerchief with me. Just to give all an update, I have decided to postpone untill 2012 as I feel i do not have enough time to get the finances together. I would like to tahnk all of you who supported me so far and I will post the link when the website is up and running.

As for 2011 Gavin is still going for the summit next year for his charity moving mountains, if anyone would to donate to the charity the web address is on the original post.

Farmer Green you made your point in your original post that you think this is a useless endeavor. I respect your opinion but to carry like you have is quite childish and pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

I don't think any of the begrudgers here get what the O.P is asking here. Let me try break it down easily for you all.

He wants to do the climb for charity.

He is going to pay 50% (15k)

He wants sponsorship from businesses for the other 50%

These businesses will do it not for the charitable effort but for the exposure / publicity they will get out of it.

Random people can also make donations too. These donations can go towards the charity perhaps a small amount to the climb.

The charity pays nothing to the O.P but they get a hell of a lot of exposure. An Irishman climbs everest? he will get national and local coverage and every article will mention the charity's name. Thus publicising it and making the public aware of it. (something charities spend a fortune on each year)

Heck, even this thread has publicised the charity about 4/5 times and I've become aware of the charity's name and how it carried out good work in africa.

Good luck with it O.P. I hope it goes well for you (and you get to do it in 2012)

It's certainly not a just a little walk up a hill. Check out the discovery channel series on it for a bit more information...even if it is slightly dramatised

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

cloneslad wrote: »

Random people can also make donations too. These donations can go towards the charity perhaps a small amount to the climb.

perhaps you don't get it... let me break it down for you...i have no wish to give money to charity and then find that any amount of it has gone on fulfilling the dream of anybody wanting to climb a mountain, trek nepal, or walk the great wall of china etc etc ... here's an idea... raise ALL the money you need to climb the mountain yourself, then get corporate sponsorship and random contributions from others, which can all go to charitable causes if people so wish, in the full knowledge that all their donations will go to charity..... op gets to climb a mountain-corporate get the exposure- charity get the money... everyones a winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

corporate sponsorship is not being sought for the charity, it's being sought to help cover some of his expenses. In return the company gets publicity.

If you want money to go directly to the people in need then you will have to go to the destination you want to give your money too and hand it out yourself because at the very least 5-10% of every charitable donation will get lost to pay for admin and others working for the charity.

If the O.P was coming in here asking us all for money to help support his charity but was secretly spending it on a trip somewhere then it would be dishonest. He didn't do that, he said

Such is the cost of an expedition to Everest i am looking for sponsorship.

I was wondering if anyone here knows of any companies in Sligo who would be willing/able to help fund this?.

he didn't ask you or I for money. He asked for corporate sponsorship. he also included a link to the charity to give it some exposure too.

Fair play O.P. Don't worry about the begrudgers. I'm guessing most could not get to the top of summerhill let alone mount everest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭tedshredsonfire

+1
    And its usually a lot more than 5-10%. Some CEOs of charitys make 6 figure salaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 wjc

Best of luck! Really envy you. Follow your dreams and go for it! Can't believe some of the posts on here. Anybody who thinks this is easy is kidding themselves!

Hi Guys
    I will soon have an update on the plans for everest in 2012

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭daingeanrob

best of luck lad!!!

Thanks very much

• Advertisement
Advertisement