Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argos and false advertising :@

Options
  • 02-08-2010 9:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

Hello,

Saw ads on tv for Argos,went like this :

Spend €50 of more and get €10 voucher.

Spend €100 of more and get €20 voucher.

So I spend over €100 on something and got this back :

€10 voucher that must be used in august

€10 voucher that must be used in September.

Now,I don't remember the ad mentioning any of this crap,it even had a picture of a €20 gift card(I think).

Is this not false advertising ???

Anyone else spend over €100 and get the same as I did ? Even the person working there made a laugh of how bad the offer really is.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Were there any T&Cs displayed or any mention of T&Cs?

If you believe that Argos did not make the offer clear, then you can lodge a complaint with the ASAI.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Lmao_Man

Didn't notice anything,and can't find the offer online to check the t+c's.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Lmao_Man wrote: »
    Hello,

Saw ads on tv for Argos,went like this :

Spend €50 of more and get €10 voucher.

Spend €100 of more and get €20 voucher.

So I spend over €100 on something and got this back :

€10 voucher that must be used in august

€10 voucher that must be used in September.

Now,I don't remember the ad mentioning any of this crap,it even had a picture of a €20 gift card(I think).

Is this not false advertising ???

Anyone else spend over €100 and get the same as I did ? Even the person working there made a laugh of how bad the offer really is.

The print version says:

Free vouchers

€20 when you spend €100 or more.

and the small print says there are two vouchers, once for aug, one for sep.
    Along with pictures of the two different vouchers.

It seems to imply that the €10 voucher would be two €5 ones also.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

saw this too but only thing is its clear as day at the counter when you are paying

Oh right :(

On the tv ad I'm sure there was an image of a €20 card though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Free stuff and people still aren't happy.......

Just thought it was misleading abit.

And it wasn't exactly free,I spent 100s in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭danmanw8

TheDriver wrote: »
    saw this too but only thing is its clear as day at the counter when you are paying

But at that stage the potentially false advertising has already conned you into going to the counter

If the TV ad is misleading then the ASAI should be made aware asap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

and as you bought stuff in argos, you probbly spent about 20% more that you would have spent in a local store on he exact same item.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

You can bring it back, presumably?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

91011 wrote: »
    and as you bought stuff in argos, you probbly spent about 20% more that you would have spent in a local store on he exact same item.

You must have an awesome local store. Mine doesn't have 90 percent of the stuff argos has. And it certainly ain't cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Argos is probably the most expensive high street store for branded goods.
    (their cheap tat is in a league of it's own).

I posted an example of a kettle last week - exact same product yet 25% dearer in Argos than Power City.

One of their favourite marketing tactics is to have the original price high so when they reduce it it looks like a better percentage off to the consumer.

in Argos it'll be something like this: Philips kettle WAS €39.95 NOW €29.95. 25% OFF!!!

Whereas in Power City the price of the kettle was originally €29.95 in the first place and doesn't look like a "good deal" and a lot of silly consumers fall for that marketing bull.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

91011 wrote: »

I've never seen much evidence to show that Argos is more expensive then local stores, gave to provide us with some proof of this?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I suppose the good thing about argos, in regards to them being "probably the most expensive high street store for branded goods", is that they REALLLLY couldn't make it easier for us to check their prices against their competitors - they give us a catalogue with all their prices listed! so if they are more expensive, they make it oh so easy for us to avoid...we don't even have to go into the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

There is less and less 'high street retail' to compare Argos with on many high street items. In Dublin 2, for instance, there is practically nowhere else that has a decent range of middle-market electrical goods. Power city is a warehouse discount retailer, not a high street operator (not that there is anything wrong with that).

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Cabaal wrote: »
    Free stuff and people still aren't happy.......
    In my mind if you have to hand over money to get something it is not free. I heard about this deal and wondered what the catch was -I knew that there had to be some catch. I expect the TV ads do say there are T&Cs, big boys like argos would not mess up.

The thing is people might have expected to get and use the €20 voucher right there and then in the same shop, some people do not get out to shops much esp. if it was a distance away. What was very sneaky of them was the website mentioned the offer, said there were T&C's, but then said "check in store for details", so people might have made the journey and then cut their losses, but would otherwise not have made the trip if the T&Cs were shown on the website.

All mention is gone from the site now. I do see they have offer sections up now.
    http://www.argos.ie/static/ArgosPromo3/includeName/clearance.htm?tag=FZ_3
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Browse/ID73/Price+Cut/r_001/1|Price+Cut|Yes|1.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭bongi69

Argos is probably the most expensive high street store for branded goods.
    (their cheap tat is in a league of it's own).

I posted an example of a kettle last week - exact same product yet 25% dearer in Argos than Power City.

One of their favourite marketing tactics is to have the original price high so when they reduce it it looks like a better percentage off to the consumer.

in Argos it'll be something like this: Philips kettle WAS €39.95 NOW €29.95. 25% OFF!!!

Whereas in Power City the price of the kettle was originally €29.95 in the first place and doesn't look like a "good deal" and a lot of silly consumers fall for that marketing bull.

Argos aren't the only culprit. When I worked for another electronics retailer, we would get new products in that were way overpriced. They would stay at that price for 2 weeks, and suddenly drop to half the price (the price they should be sold at) and there would be big POS saying 50% off, etc.

Not defending Argos, but anything I've gotten there has been cheaper than their competitors. Given that I do my research beforehand though, especially for items over €50. And you don't get half the hassle returning stuff (faulty or not) that you would elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,079 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

There is less and less 'high street retail' to compare Argos with on many high street items. In Dublin 2, for instance, there is practically nowhere else that has a decent range of middle-market electrical goods. Power city is a warehouse discount retailer, not a high street operator (not that there is anything wrong with that).

Out in the sticks, many one-off "departmental" hardware type stores, or electrical retailers seem to have a tie-in with Expert or Euronics. I suppose this kind of set-up allows them to compete more with the UK chains in general.

http://www.euronics.ie/

http://www.expertireland.com/

Advertisement