Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I be worried about this?

Options
  • 02-08-2010 11:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭

I know people get those Nigerian bank transfer emails all the time, but I just got this and it has a postal address and the email address looks real. It was sent from this email address: robertmueller@fbi.gov

I'll cut and paste it here:

ANTI-TERRORIST AND MONETARY CRIMES DIVISION
    FBI HEADQUARTERS IN WASHINGTON, D.C.
    Federal Bureau Of Investigation.
    FBI-Washington Field Office
    601 4th Street, NW
    Washington, DC 20535
    Email: mueller-fbi@w.cn

ATTENTION: Fund Beneficiary,

OFFICIAL WARNING FROM THE FBI FOREIGN REMITTANCE/TELEGRAPHIC DEPT.:

It has been discovered that your inheritance/winning/check compensation FUND was about being transferred to an unknown account under your name. This attempt was perpetrated by someone who claims to be working for you, and that you have given him due authority to have the FUND moved to the new account.

The Federal Bureau of Investigation (F.B.I.) waded in after being alerted by the supposed bank. We investigated and found that there is a possible money laundering activity in play. The FUND (US$12,000,000.00) was found to be deposited in a top bank in America in your name pending your consent to have it transferred to the new account. It was further revealed that initial FUND transfer originated from Nigeria to England and now here in a Bank in USA. These transfers did not follow due process in line with the international FUND transfer rules and regulation.

We advice you to contact us immediately, as the funds have been stopped and are being held in our custody, until you are able to provide us with a Diplomatic Immunity Seal of Transfer (DIST) document within 3 days from the Country that authorized the transfer to certify that the funds that you are about to receive are terrorist/drug free or we shall have cause to impound the payment and subsequent prosecution. We shall release the funds to you immediately we receive this legal document and make sure that you get your payment without any further delay.

Be informed that FAILURE to have this cleared out or If you fail to provide the Documents to us, we will charge you and take appropriate action against you for not proving the legality of the funds. We will not hesitate to visit the full weight of the law upon you if you do not clear this fund.

Finally, you are expected to have the CLEARANCE DOCUMENT obtain from where the FUND originated from to have you and your fund cleared. Only then shall we release your FUND as clean money devoid of any illegality, and you will be free of any involvement. To this end, you are to contact Mr. Spencer Lulu of the Anti Graft Department of Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (E.F.C.C.) Nigeria and have the DIPLOMATIC IMMUNITY SEAL of TRANSFER (DIST) CLEARANCE DOCUMENT obtained. Contact us now for further clarification.

Note that you have 72hours to obtain this crucial Documentation. This has to be cleared! You are warned!

Faithfully Yours
    Robert Mueller III
    FBI Director
    601 4th Street, NW
    Washington, DC 20535
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

FBI have no duristicion in Ireland... you should be fine...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

You are joking about being worried about this. It's just another scam.

Scam

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭PaddyBomb

Cop on man.

How could you think that wasnt a scam?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Poor grammar, poor spelling, and random capitalisation of letters, yeh this looks like the fbi's work alright...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

If it was real he would've provided a telephone number.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Strange Loop

Robert Mueller took the time to write to you personally and you have to contact Spencer Lulu.
    I'm sure it's legit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

go for it, you've only your dignity to lose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

To be honest, I'm more worried that there's actually someone out there that would even consider that it mightn't be a scam! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Recon

first sentence "was about being transferred"....and you were worried!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Its a fake,that particular FBI field office is located at 603 4th Street

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The FBI is outsourcing to China now? Hard times indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

The email address is actually mueller-fbi@w.cn
    Nigerians in China
    edit>
    damn you ^^!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

Well thanks for putting my mind at rest, I was worried that I'd have Jack Bauer smashing my door down at 2am and using the interrogation kit on me.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Well thanks for putting my mind at rest, I was hoping that I'd have Jack Bauer smashing my door down at 2am and using the interrogation kit on me, in Welsh.

FYP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭reallyrose

As a scam, it's not bad. Both carrot and stick at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Robert Mueller III

Bob Mueller III is a bad egg.

Bob Mueller II though, and you'd have cause for concern.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

If you check google earth you'll see that 601 4th St NW in DC is in fact a car park :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Facepalm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

Earthquake Warning!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

I got the best scam email the other day.
    It was from this fella in Ghana(apparently) who owned a cocoa factory, pirates stole all his stock and there was no cocoa left anywhere so he wanted me to send him a shed load of money.:pac:

I keep getting some weird thing aswell titled FWD: and it's always empty but sent from different people..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

The Federal Bureau of Investigation (F.B.I.) waded in after being alerted by the supposed bank.

Yeah "waded". Cos that's what the FBI do.

Totally not a scam OP.

Fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭JonB

If you see a black ford van, run like hell ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭VinnyTGM

Email Mueller back and ask him what he is talking about, that you received the money over a week ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

I got the same email today.. I just deleted it. Millions of people with nothing to do out there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

I know people get those Nigerian bank transfer emails all the time, but I just got this and it has a postal address and the email address looks real. It was sent from this email address: robertmueller@fbi.gov

I'll cut and paste it here:

ANTI-TERRORIST AND MONETARY CRIMES DIVISION
    FBI HEADQUARTERS IN WASHINGTON, D.C.
    Federal Bureau Of Investigation.
    FBI-Washington Field Office
    601 4th Street, NW
    Washington, DC 20535
    Email: mueller-fbi@w.cn

ATTENTION: Fund Beneficiary,

OFFICIAL WARNING FROM THE FBI FOREIGN REMITTANCE/TELEGRAPHIC DEPT.:

It has been discovered that your inheritance/winning/check compensation FUND was about being transferred to an unknown account under your name. This attempt was perpetrated by someone who claims to be working for you, and that you have given him due authority to have the FUND moved to the new account.

The Federal Bureau of Investigation (F.B.I.) waded in after being alerted by the supposed bank. We investigated and found that there is a possible money laundering activity in play. The FUND (US$12,000,000.00) was found to be deposited in a top bank in America in your name pending your consent to have it transferred to the new account. It was further revealed that initial FUND transfer originated from Nigeria to England and now here in a Bank in USA. These transfers did not follow due process in line with the international FUND transfer rules and regulation.

We advice you to contact us immediately, as the funds have been stopped and are being held in our custody, until you are able to provide us with a Diplomatic Immunity Seal of Transfer (DIST) document within 3 days from the Country that authorized the transfer to certify that the funds that you are about to receive are terrorist/drug free or we shall have cause to impound the payment and subsequent prosecution. We shall release the funds to you immediately we receive this legal document and make sure that you get your payment without any further delay.

Be informed that FAILURE to have this cleared out or If you fail to provide the Documents to us, we will charge you and take appropriate action against you for not proving the legality of the funds. We will not hesitate to visit the full weight of the law upon you if you do not clear this fund.

Finally, you are expected to have the CLEARANCE DOCUMENT obtain from where the FUND originated from to have you and your fund cleared. Only then shall we release your FUND as clean money devoid of any illegality, and you will be free of any involvement. To this end, you are to contact Mr. Spencer Lulu of the Anti Graft Department of Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (E.F.C.C.) Nigeria and have the DIPLOMATIC IMMUNITY SEAL of TRANSFER (DIST) CLEARANCE DOCUMENT obtained. Contact us now for further clarification.

Note that you have 72hours to obtain this crucial Documentation. This has to be cleared! You are warned!

Faithfully Yours
    Robert Mueller III
    FBI Director
    601 4th Street, NW
    Washington, DC 20535

You are meant to report them.As far as i know you can report it to the FBI and on their web page forward the details.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

No such thing as a free lunch OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Gary4279

Honestly man that looks like a load of bull. The FBI don't email you and say 'you are warned' especially when it about $12,000,000. Also, the FBI have nothing to do with anyone in Ireland.

Your stupidity has actually infuriated me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

If you check google earth you'll see that 601 4th St NW in DC is in fact a car park :P

Other side of the street from that Car Park is where the field office is located. And as it is the whole block the address actually starts at 601.

http://washingtondc.fbi.gov/

Real address but looking at scam websites 100% scam and if anyone fell for it they deserve to be robbed :D

Ask yourself why the FBI would be mailing you to begin with :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

galwayrush wrote: »
    No such thing as a free lunch OP.
    There's this place in town that gives you free tea and crisps and chocolate
    I decided to quit when I cut myself shaving and nothing came out but air.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

The FBI is outsourcing to China now? Hard times indeed.
    Or Cavan.

Advertisement