Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tarmac drive

• 02-08-2010 12:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 176 ✭✭

I'm thinking about putting down tarmac on my drive outside the house, I've just got gravel there at the moment. However several people have told me not to put down tarmac until you've finished everything you want to do on the site like landscaping garage etc,. apparently the tarmac will get wrecked by heavy machines and the like. Any thoughts on this? I can't see myself being ready to bulid a garage for another few years and I would really like to get the drive done now.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,620 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If work is happening at the moment, then yes the drive should be last. If you are not planning the garage for a couple of years then the drive should be well settled by then. It will end up mucky and muddy but it would need a massive machine to do actual damage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 176 ✭✭The Waxbill

Thanks for the reply looksee. Yes it's going to be a few years before Ii get around to doing the garage. We are in the house 2 years and that's finished and i've made a start on the garden, it's 3/4 acre and i'm tackling that myself a bit at a time. The problem is my toddler son is walking now and I'd like for him to be able to walk around or cycle a tricycle around the drive. At the moment it's not possible. I suppose it's going to get muddy while i'm still doing the garden but that should wash off, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,620 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Get a proper job done on your drive, a cheap job will not last long, a good drive will last for years and never need maintenance. We had Roadstone do a tarmac drive for us years ago and while it was expensive, in the 10 years we lived in the house there was no erosion and no weeds.

Yes mud will wash off, use a garden hose not a pressure cleaner. It is also possible to temporarily put a sheet of heavy polythene down in areas where you will be moving a lot of dirt, hold it down with blocks or planks, it will make life a lot easier.

Advertisement