Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DVD Flick - playback problem - ripple/shimmer effect

• 02-08-2010 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

Hi.

I have 2 .avi files that are about 1GB in size each. When i playback the .avi files, the quality is perfect in both. What i wanted to do is to put them on a dvd and be able to play it in a dvd player and for a menu to appear on disc insert allowing you to choose which video to play.

So i heard about DVD Flick and got that. It allows me to put in a basic menu and is easy to use. However, when after the video files are converted and dvd flick has finished creating an .iso image, If i mount the image [using alcohol] and play the video back, what happens is that when the camera is moving, a ripple (or shimmer) effect happens. When the camera is focused on a relatively still piece of video playback, there is no ripples (or shimmers).

Im wondering if anyone could please help me with this issue.
    Thank you.

Dan.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Are you talking about motion judder? If so, it is usually related to framerate. Probably some kind of pullup/pulldown issue.

You need to supply more info - framerate of the AVI movies, what format you are converting them to (PAL 25fps?), what refresh rate is your monitor/TV?

Failing that, just try some different software. ConvertXtoDVD for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭djt0607

Hi. Thanks for replying. I have tried some different things and have narrowed the problem down to a very strange one.

At the start I have 3 files:
    1. X.mpg
    2. Y.mpg
    3. Z.mpg

I converted the three above video files to .vob using "Ultra Video Joiner".

So now i have 3 video files:
    1. X.vob
    2. Y.vob
    3. Z.vob

When I play these files directly, their quality and audio is perfect.

So I used "DVD Flick" to create a dvd of them. Basically I added the three vob files above as 3 titles and created a simple menu so when the dvd is played back in a player you can choose which one to watch.

The output from this produced an "AUDIO_TS" folder which was empty and a "VIDEO_TS" folder.

The "VIDEO_TS" folder contained the following files:

VIDEO_TS.ifo [14KB] .....................main menu
    VIDEO_TS.vob [334KB]......................main menu video
    VIDEO_TS.BUP [14KB]
    VTS_01_0.ifo [42KB]....................... plays first video clip
    VTS_01_0.vob [310KB]
    VTS_01_0.BUP [42KB]
    VTS_01_1.vob [1,048,554KB]
    VTS_01_2.vob [1,048,554KB]
    VTS_01_3.vob [857,006KB]
    VTS_02_0.ifo [20KB]...................... plays second video clip
    VTS_02_0.vob [310KB]
    VTS_02_0.BUP [20KB]
    VTS_02_1 .vob [543,284KB]
    VTS_03_0.ifo [18KB].............. plays third video clip
    VTS_03_0.vob [310KB]
    VTS_03_0.BUP [18KB]

So, here's the strange part.....if i play the files directly by clicking on a .vob file (or an .ifo file to play the collection of .vob files) they play perfectly with perfect video and sound), BUT if i click on "VIDEO_TS.ifo" and go through the menu and play "video file 1" it is good quality, but when the camera move, the edges of everything shimmer and get distorted. What makes it stranger is that i can also click on "VIDEO_TS.ifo" and go through the main menu and play the second and third video clips with no distortion at all.

I cant understand that. To sum up...i can directly click on any .vob file and play it back perfectly with no errors, but when i go through the main menu, all video clips playback perfectly except for the first video clip.

Why is this and what do i need to do to fix this?

Thanks in advance to everyone for taking the time to read/reply to my query.

Dan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

Sounds like interlaced video. If you pause the problem video during a scene with motion, does it show an effect like the thrd picture here? Interlaced video plays fine on a tv but on a computer display you'll want to turn on the deinterlacing filter in your media player.

Hi snowbat. thanks for your reply. The effect that occuring when there is motion in the video is more like the first image - only not as bad.

If edges in motion have a comb-tooth effect that mostly¹ disappears when you turn on the deinterlacing filter in your media player, it's interlaced video. Otherwise, what Voodu Child said.

Interlaced video on youtube. Same video deinterlaced. Switch to 480p and fullscreen to best see the difference.

¹ VLC has a number of deinterlacing filters available (Video menu)- some work better than others.

• Advertisement

Hi snowbat.
    Firstly, thanks for your previous posts.

I download VLC player and it played ALL the videos perfectly no problem. So i would imagine the problem is not with the video, its with the player i am playing it on. However, I want to put these videos on a dvd disc and play them in a dvd player. I have already done this and as i have described earlier, i have the problem of de-interlacing. How can i get around this for the purpose of being able to playback the videos on a telly (via a dvd player) ?

The disc should play fine on a DVD player and telly. TVs are built to handle interlaced video. You're only seeing this problem in a software player on your computer, right?

Advertisement