Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spike Island

Options
  • 02-08-2010 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

hi There,
    Would anyone know the details of Spike Island Tours? Where they go from, how much and times? I have tried to search on Google but cannot seem to find the details.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

They were leaving at 2pm yesterday and Saturday from the pier thing in Cobh, 70 people per trip, first come first served. I don't know if it's every weekend from now on or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Mickalis

• Registered Users Posts: 14 whatsup28

that is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Oh, that's cool! We've been living in Cobh since last December, and I've always been curious about the island. When I first read about the tours I got the impression that it would only be the one weekend, and we couldn't make that as the husband's parents are over for a visit and they wouldn't be fit enough to do that.
    So it's on every day till September, that's fantastic. I'll be sure to go either this weekend or next.

Btw, I'm loving how they misspelled "Saturday" in the URL of the page... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

Was on Spike today, great site but not a great tour tbh.

The tourguide spent too much time talking about himself and his book and then rushed us through the gun emplacement and the cells, probably the two places that interested people the most:rolleyes:

Has great potential though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

Yeah the tour seems way too short as the island has quite a bit to take in. Was out there a few years ago with a chairty im involved with when they were getting rid of all the furnishings, machinery out there etc etc and it was fantastic. Got to spend a good 6/7 hours out there and the boat bringing over the trucks got delayed so the prison officer with us gave us a really long tour and talk and brought us out onto the walls which gave an awesome view of the harbour. I think they should have a current or ex-prison guard from here doing instead of some guy thats just trying to push himself or his book for the entirety of what should be a day to remember. Also they should increase the length of the tour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

How long was the tour the day ye were there?? It was pushing close to two hours when i was there not including boat trip. For the price i thought it was good. He must have read here, cos he ddnt mention is book at all until the tour was over:P
    Have to say i enjoyed it and i reckon when it is officially opened as a tourist attraction you be paying more then we did a couple of months ago:cool:

Advertisement