Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Adamstown 10k Road Race Sat Sept 11th

• 02-08-2010 1:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭

The annual Adamstown Road Race will be held on Saturday September 11th starting at 2.00 p.m. All proceeds from this race will be shared between the National Council for the Blind Ireland, Pieta House and the local primary schools.
    Following on from the success of last year's inaugral 8k race where we had 500 entries the race will take place again this year with a new of changes which we feel will improve the event.
    The race has been increased in length by 2 k and will now incorporate Tandy's Lane, a quiet tree lined country road, as well as the fast flat roads within the Adamstown complex. It is an ideal course for anyone seeking a PB.
    The race will start and finish beside the local primary schools. Changing facilities will be available in the schools.
    The start and finish area are easily accessible by both bus and train.
    The entry fee has been reduced to reflect the economic climate and the 15 euro entry fee includes a goody bag.
    Further information is available from www.adamstown10k.ie

(Mod approval was recieved for this post)

Rate this race based on, Scenery, PB potential, Atmosphere, Value, Organisation 7 votes

5 stars (excellent)
    0%
    4 stars (good)
    71%
    folanmtsaero2kcwgatlingsonkal 5 votes
    3 stars (average)
    28%
    AbhainnBirdsong 2 votes
    2 stars (poor)
    0%
    1 star (terrible)
    0%

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

3 stars (average)
    Anyone doing this? Pity this and the Firhouse 10k are on the same day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Abhainn wrote: »
    Anyone doing this? Pity this and the Firhouse 10k are on the same day

Yep big pity, both fast flat races

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

That's a real bummer, can they not change it to the following week? deinately doing firhouse, but would have loved to do this too.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭petermijackson

Anybody have an opinion on which of these would be faster?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46 tommysparks

would anyone have a link to the firhouse 10k?
    thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

Good changes downthemiddle (a) extending to a standard 10k and (b) changing facilities :) Hope it goes well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

RoyMcC wrote: »
    Good changes downthemiddle (a) extending to a standard 10k and (b) changing facilities :) Hope it goes well.

Thanks Roy. We have also organised family entertainment for the day so athletes can have a day out with their families.
    In reply to which race is more suitable for a P.B. I can't speak for the Firhouse race but our route is very flat and fast. There is no climb of any significance. The road network is new so the surfaces within the Adamstown complex are excellent for running on and the roads will be free from traffic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

thinking of doing this

Just a reminder that the closing date for online registration is next Saturday September 4th.

In conjunction with the race a family entertainment day has been organised. This includes live music,an African drumming band, a carnival, a magician, a minature train and food vendors. It is envisaged that this will be an event for athletes and their families.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 sonkal

4 stars (good)
    Definately going to do this, can't wait. Will have to see what the weather is like before deciding whether to bring the kids or not. But it is a really nice idea having the family day too. Is the registration in the educate together school??

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭stmochtas

would anyone have a link to the firhouse 10k?
    thanks

http://www.bhaa.ie/

sonkal wrote: »
    Definately going to do this, can't wait. Will have to see what the weather is like before deciding whether to bring the kids or not. But it is a really nice idea having the family day too. Is the registration in the educate together school??

Registration, bag drop, competitor parking and changing facilities are all available in Adamstown Community College which is beside the primary schools.

4 stars (good)
    Thats great, thanks. ROll on tomorrow ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 711 ✭✭✭cwgatling

4 stars (good)
    Really enjoyed this one even though my legs were dead tired. Fantastic organisation - really top notch. Thanks to all involved!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Was it flat? Windy? Raining? :)

4 stars (good)
    No hills of any significance (IMO) which was good. 1 40ft climb over 1.5 miles was the biggest one.
    Pretty windy alright. The last mile and a half was a straight run down a new road with the wind against us. Then again, we had that wind at our backs for the run out...
    Just as I was coming over the 6 mile mark the heavens opened for an awful shower and there was even a clap of thunder. It dried up grand after about 10 minutes.
    Changing facilities, music, fair crowd - couldn't fault this race.

Looks like Firhouse went well for ye too - well done!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Your time is probably better again by a few secs if you started near the back of the pack if the results are gun time only (no chip timing an' all).

Well done all.

4 stars (good)
    Yeah, have to agree, the organisation was second to none, I live locally and went down at about 11 to register, they had plenty of stewarts out to direct you even then. The last 2k was tough running against the wind and the monsoon rains :D, was absolutely drenched but at least I was near the finish so could just jump in the car and come home. Brilliant race highly recommend it for next year.

4 stars (good)
    Anyone know if the results are been posted onlin???

• Advertisement

Results are available here http://www.precisiontiming.net/result/view/id/100
    Thanks to all who supported the race and for all the positive comments.

4 stars (good)
    Hi thanks for the link for results, My time does not seem to be up there. I would have places somewhere between 62 and 67 my bib no was 266. Any ideas why I'm not there???:(

In the official print out I have you finished in 67th place in a time of 47:36 placing you seventh in the senior female category. I will check out why there is a typo on the website.

4 stars (good)
    Ah thanks a million for that. :D

4 stars (good)
    Oh I see what the problem is regarding my results "Sarita and Baby Johnston" place 67 have my bib no and time. Thanks again for a a very enjoyable day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 dunneryan

Really enjoyed the race today - Well done to the organisers... Looking forward to it again next year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Birdsong

3 stars (average)
    Great race , organisation was 2nd to none. My own legs were like lead to start with so slowed me down a bit. Very enjoyable, and a good buzz around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭aero2k

4 stars (good)
    Was it flat? Windy? Raining? :)
    Yes!

4 stars (good)
    First I have to declare an interest as I know one of the organisers.

However, I think it's fair to say this was the best set-up race I've ever experienced. Closed roads, great marshalling pre-race to the parking area, and great organisation there. Very efficient number collection. Some people mightn't like the out and back bits but the course was flat with great conditions underfoot. Nice to have somewhere dry to change afterwards as well.

I'll be back next year.

• Advertisement

aero2k wrote: »

However, I think it's fair to say this was the best set-up race I've ever experienced. Closed roads, great marshalling pre-race to the parking area, and great organisation there. Very efficient number collection. Some people mightn't like the out and back bits but the course was flat with great conditions underfoot. Nice to have somewhere dry to change afterwards as well.

I'll be back next year.

Thanks for the kind words.
    The good news is that you were in the prizes today winning your category. Congrats!

3 stars (average)
    aero2k wrote: »

I'll be back next year.

Well done on the prize! I may have been speaking with you while changing in the gents after?
    The wind made it tough on those long drags out there.

4 stars (good)
    Thanks for the kind words.
    The good news is that you were in the prizes today winning your category. Congrats!
    Cheers, I got a few bob last year too, nice to be developing good habits in my old age!

I was in two minds about giving this race the thumbs up as it'll only lessen my chances next year:D
    Well done on the prize! I may have been speaking with you while changing in the gents after?
    The wind made it tough on those long drags out there.
    Yes, I did read on your log you'd been thinking of this one, and when I saw your time last night I remembered our conversation and wondered "was that Abhainn". Nice to finally meet you.

That 36:03 was a smashing run in tough conditions. I probably didn't get the best out of myself on the day, but it was a struggle.

I'd have liked to hang around for a bit for the festivities but I had to be somewhere. Next year...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 760 ✭✭✭PGL

I took part in the race too - well done to the organisers btw.

I am a complete novice when it comes to road races ie I have only ever ran one other race, which was the 8k Adamstown race last year - and the only reason I entered it was because it is on my doorstep!

I would like to know where my finish time sits in the grand scheme of things (ie on a scale of bad, poor, average, good or excellent) - I don't want to prejudice this debate so I won't reveal my finish time until I get some feedback . Are there standard guidelines or rules of thumb on this?

Would I be right in guessing that you would rank someones finish time based on their individual specific info such as race records and general fitness (and obviously also taking on board the course in question and the conditions on the day)?

Some info on me: 31 year old male, 6ft tall, 92kg. As said previously I have ran 2 road races to date. In my mind I have never been what you would officially term "fit" as I have never taken part in proper team sports such as gaa, soccer etc. Prior to the last 6 years I would have put myself in the bracket of overweight (based on those BMI calculations). I started going to the gym about 8 years ago to de-stress after work and to try to keep the waistline respectable - I go about 1-2 times a week, but really have been operating within my comfort zone - ie had no targets such as road races, or personal fitness programs. I only decided to run this race a couple of weeks ago, and so only did a little bit of extra exercise in the build up - considering I had a stitch for the last 5km, I think I definitely did not do enough preparation!

Taking the above on board, together with the course and weather conditions could anyone offer an opinion or guidelines as to what finish times are considered bad, poor, average, good or excellent? I am considering giving running a proper go, but before I do I would just like to know where I roughly sit in the grand scheme of things.
    All comments welcome!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

4 stars (good)
    I really enjoyed my run on Saturday, was well put together and organised.

I beat my Personal best, but my GPS told me I actually ran 10.45Km, wondering if anyone else got this?

Either way, well smashed PB and nice day out. Except for the rain! cant blame you guys for that though!

Cannot fault the organisation on this...top notch!! :D

Any photos of the race?? There was lot of photographers around...

• Advertisement

3 stars (average)
    folan wrote: »

I beat my Personal best, but my GPS told me I actually ran 10.45Km, wondering if anyone else got this?

Your GPS should have been >10.00KM as you probably weren't taking the shortest line all through.
    I don't have a GPS but I thought the last KM was long. I really pushed it and was a bit mystified at my last KM split at the end
    Maybe the markers up to 9km were short?

4 stars (good)
    Your GPS should have been >10.00KM as you probably weren't taking the shortest line all through.
    I don't have a GPS but I thought the last KM was long. I really pushed it and was a bit mystified at my last KM split at the end
    Maybe the markers up to 9km were short?
    I was expecting it to be a bit over 10Km, but by .5km seemed a bit much so i was unsure.

well, either way, its a new PB for me, and thats all that matters!

folan wrote: »

Either way, well smashed PB and nice day out. Except for the rain! cant blame you guys for that though!

The course was measured twice. We used an engineers wheel for initial measurement. It was then measured by the top course measurer in the country using a Jones counter before we received our AAI permit for the race.

p.s. Well done on the P.B.

Cannot fault the organisation on this...top notch!! :D

Any photos of the race?? There was lot of photographers around...

The photos will be on the website as soon as we receive them from the photographers.

The photos will be on the website as soon as we receive them from the photographers.

Will you be putting them on RacePix.com???

• Advertisement

I believe that the photographer we used normally posts on racepix. The photos have been delayed because he is having internet problems.

PGL wrote: »
    I took part in the race too - well done to the organisers btw.

I am a complete novice when it comes to road races ie I have only ever ran one other race, which was the 8k Adamstown race last year - and the only reason I entered it was because it is on my doorstep!

I would like to know where my finish time sits in the grand scheme of things (ie on a scale of bad, poor, average, good or excellent) - I don't want to prejudice this debate so I won't reveal my finish time until I get some feedback . Are there standard guidelines or rules of thumb on this?

Would I be right in guessing that you would rank someones finish time based on their individual specific info such as race records and general fitness (and obviously also taking on board the course in question and the conditions on the day)?

Some info on me: 31 year old male, 6ft tall, 92kg. As said previously I have ran 2 road races to date. In my mind I have never been what you would officially term "fit" as I have never taken part in proper team sports such as gaa, soccer etc. Prior to the last 6 years I would have put myself in the bracket of overweight (based on those BMI calculations). I started going to the gym about 8 years ago to de-stress after work and to try to keep the waistline respectable - I go about 1-2 times a week, but really have been operating within my comfort zone - ie had no targets such as road races, or personal fitness programs. I only decided to run this race a couple of weeks ago, and so only did a little bit of extra exercise in the build up - considering I had a stitch for the last 5km, I think I definitely did not do enough preparation!

Taking the above on board, together with the course and weather conditions could anyone offer an opinion or guidelines as to what finish times are considered bad, poor, average, good or excellent? I am considering giving running a proper go, but before I do I would just like to know where I roughly sit in the grand scheme of things.
    All comments welcome!

no comments then?

have i posted this in the wrong forum? - if so then, mods feel free to move me

PGL wrote: »
    no comments then?

have i posted this in the wrong forum? - if so then, mods feel free to move me
    You want us to guess what time you finished the race, based on your age and weight etc? And you're wondering why nobody responded? ;)
    There's no such thing as good or bad. The only thing that counts is how you performed relative to your previous results and the goals you set yourself. But if it helps, I'll have a guess: 52 minutes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

You want us to guess what time you finished the race, based on your age and weight etc? And you're wondering why nobody responded? ;)
    There's no such thing as good or bad. The only thing that counts is how you performed relative to your previous results and the goals you set yourself. But if it helps, I'll have a guess: 52 minutes?

You didn't extrapolate for wind shear Krusty- 52:33. ;)

PGL, there's no "scheme of things", and any scale that goes from good to poor is going to be subjective. Asking people to guess your time based on the info you've given is a little futile- I wouldn't be surprised if you ran between 20 mins on either side of the hour, it depends on a lot more than the general parameters you've mentioned.

The real question is, how do you go faster?

I never asked you to guess but you're not too far off the mark! As you said, goals are necessary - as a new comer I just wanted to know what goals I should be setting myself....

See there you have your answer. You know what your time was (if you didn't want us to guess, why didn't you post it?!). So you've managed to finish the race in 53:xx (or whatever). Your new goal should be to get sub 50 minutes, in one of the 10k races in December. Goals are all relative to the individual.

I might be 38 years old, six foot tall, and 12 stone, but still be faster than someone who is 28 years old, 5 foot 10, and only 10 stone, while still being slower than a 62 year old, who is smaller and heavier. There is no 'profile'. Just your next time, distance or placing goal. Best of luck with it. Start a log in the training log sub-forum. Most people find it helps significantly.

4 stars (good)
    Don't sweat competing against other people. If you're enjoying the running get the weekly mileage up (slowly) and you'll see your times dropping. Try to shave a minute or 2 off your time next outing.

4 stars (good)
    The course was measured twice. We used an engineers wheel for initial measurement. It was then measured by the top course measurer in the country using a Jones counter before we received our AAI permit for the race.

p.s. Well done on the P.B.
    oh well, guess im just going to have to make do with the 5 mins off the pb so.

yes, i am braggin. its not that fast, but its still my fastest!

Advertisement