Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New driver car advice!

Options
  • 02-08-2010 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭

I'm male and 24 years old and I'm only starting to learn to drive now.

When i do my theory I will be buying a car and getting myself fully comped, or possible 3rd party fire and theft as being a named driver isn't possible in my case.

My question is, what kind of car would you suggest?
    My criteria are, i want to get a hatchback but not a micro hatchback like a micra or a starlet. I want something a bit wider and bigger but with a relatively small engine size still for insurance purposes.

Here's what I've considered, I like the look of ford focuses and peugot 308's etc but I'm not entirely sure if these are decent cars. Especially since I will be probably looking for an older model. I have about 4,000 to spend on the car.

Anyone have any suggestions? Or reasons why i shouldn't get a focus?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Ford Focus 1.6 petrol. Nice looking, great handling, reliable and good to learn in. The 1.4 is incredibly slow and gutless, so i'd go for the 1.6, i would suspect the difference in insurance would be minimal between the two tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Jonathanpbk

Yeah, that's what i've been hearing. But how slow are we talking here? I mean I'm not gonna be rallying it around anywhere... I'm just gonna be driving around dublin city etc. And I grew up in Micras, Starlets and more recently a Yaris so i'm pretty used to weak cars!

I was also thinking of going diesel. Any opinions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

It's simply not enough for the car and it drinks the go go juice to boot. When I had mine my girlfriend at the time had a 1 litre Yaris and I genuinely could not keep up with that car...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

If you happen to like a car and it's diesel, of course go for it. But don't filter all the petrols!

If you're only doing fairly low mileage, then there's no real advantage.

good point!

So besides a focus, does anyone have any other suggestions along these lines?

Preferably hatchback, decent size, relatively small engine, not 3 door, and not mad expensive!

• Advertisement

Just wanted to bump this up a bit!

It got completely buried in the space of a day!

Advertisement