Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Zoo & Parking

Options
  • 02-08-2010 2:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭

Hello all,

We're planning on driving from Galway to Dublin some day this week to bring the little people to the Zoo for the day. Need some advice regarding parking that's handy for the Zoo and costs if possible :)

Many thanks,

John.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

Was in the park last week just going to a playground. There is car parking for free about a minutes walk from the entrance to the park right beside the Garda HQ. It's free also but I'm sure there are plenty of other options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

They built a new car park between the polo grounds and the zoo. There no need to park on the roads anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

There is some parking at the zoo and there is plenty of parking in the park it'self and it's free.

Crazy busy though especially on a bank holiday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Thanks a lot for the help folks, looks like Thursday will be the best weather wise, hope it stays dry for us! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

At the entrance near heuston up to the first round about (before the zoo), they've had traffic cones with no parking labels on them on one side of the road. First on the wellington monument side and then today on the zoo side. I think they might be doing some work on the road or cleaning or something.

After that, the roads seem to be ok to park on. Even at it's busiest recently, you'll eventually get a spot if ya keep going (though ya might have to walk a bit to get to the zoo). :)

I'd say checking the zoo car park itself would be worth the trouble though.

They do that occasionally to annoy the commuters who park there all day long.

The road surface is like the moon there, so perhaps they are going to fix it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Well used to river beds as roads being from Connemara!

Now, another question for ye. We're looking for somewhere nice to have breakfast when we arrive which will be around 9-9.30am. We don't want to eat at the Zoo. Is there anywhere on our way that has good grub and some parking? Will be coming in from the Wesht, N4 I think... Anywhere good along the way that the locals eat and would be suitable for kids?

I don't really go for breakfast around there. But there are these places...

Theres a cafe in the zoo.

Theres also the cafe opposite
    http://www.phoenixpark.ie/visitorinformation/cafetearoomsicecreamkiosks/

The Phoenix Park Visitor Center cafe
    http://www.heritageireland.ie/en/dublin/phoenixparkvisitorcentre-ashtowncastle/

Theres also the boat house case in the Farmleigh
    http://www.farmleigh.ie/Events/Title,13565,en.html

This place used to be good for a breakfast etc. Haven't been in ages though. http://www.twelfthlock.com/ nothing for the kids to do though, so your on the clock till they get bored.

Suitable for kids will depend on the kids. Speed is usually the key. Though most of the places in the park the kids can just go outside while you watch them. Phoenix Park Visitor Center cafe is good for kids, theres a courtyard, mini maze outside and a playground around the corner. Dunno what breakfast is like. Usually more of a afternoon tea place but I could be wrong.

Advertisement