Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dimplex Optiflame fire - Mum cleaned optiflame away!

Options
  • 02-08-2010 2:30pm

My mum bought a Dimplex Optiflame fire some years ago. It was great and worked fine. However she went to clean it one time and afterwards the Optiflame effect was gone. I don't know what she did as I was not there at the time. She said all she used was a wet cloth. I suspect she wiped off the flame designs on the glass pane at the back. However I'm not 100% sure how these things work so I could be wrong.

Is there anything we can do to get the flame effect back? I checked the Dimpco website spares section and there was nothing suitable.

I've uploaded a pic here of how the fire looks now to help as it's difficult to explain. As you can see it's rubbish without the flame effect. Please help! Thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭eden_my_ass

Isn't the flame effect caused by the lights in your picture passing through a tiny little fan of some sort throwing up shadows....don't think she wiped that out but I imagine its quite sensitive to bumps, maybe something has fallen on or is blocking this from happening....or it just plain broke!? This is only my guess anyway, from looking at the flame effect on their website and from memory of seeing it in action!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

spot on
    if you remove the glass you can access the fan and revolving(tinsel effect)shadow thrower.it may have dislodged off its axis.the fan blows air over coloured ribbons creating a flame effect.looks like the replacement bulbs were too high wattage and the heat melted the plastic of the coal effect also.

meercat wrote: »
    spot on
    if you remove the glass you can access the fan and revolving(tinsel effect)shadow thrower.it may have dislodged off its axis.the fan blows air over coloured ribbons creating a flame effect.looks like the replacement bulbs were too high wattage and the heat melted the plastic of the coal effect also.
    You're definitely right about the coal effect. She used bulbs that were too strong and damaged it. At least you can buy a replacement coal effect on the Dimpco website. As regards the first problem, the flame effect, I guess I'll have to take it apart and check it so. Hopefully it can be fixed. Time to get my hands dirty. Thanks guys.

So how do I fix it? Is there someone I can take it to? I've contacted the place I bought it so should hear back tomorrow. Don't know if they do repairs though.

I bought a new coal effect for €40 and replaced the old one. As for the flame effect we're still stumped. My brother had it open today and couldn't figure out what was wrong.

• Advertisement
Advertisement