Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What you hate to see in a video game?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Keith186

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Unskippable logos at the start of games that outstay their welcome.

That's what I came to type when I seen the thread title.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Mr. K wrote: »
    I remember having a great time playing through Castle Crashers like this. The Scott Pilgrim game seems like it's designed the same way.

Castle Crashers was awesome like that

My 2 big annoyances are:
    Extreme use of scripting
    Cliche gameplay where the focus was put on spit shine

• Registered Users Posts: 83,309 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

- Cutscenes of "boss fights" that you cant play

- invasive DRM, SecuROM, etc.

- Random Encounters

- Getting superweapons on the last fight of the game, with no real opportunities to dick around with them. Crysis was awful for this.

.... but on that same note:

- a lack of mining lasers

Overlong cutscenes that add nothing to the storyline as a whole.

Cutesie kid characters that are annoying

Irritating catchphrases.

Japanese RPGs are extremely bad for these - especially Star Ocean: The Last Hope. It was the main reason I couldn't get past 12 hours - annoyed me too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

Overlong cutscenes that add nothing to the storyline as a whole.

MGS 4 anyone? God that was annoying, I actually gave up playing because i couldn't stand the cutscenes

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Games for Windows Live.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Annoying, slow menus. UT3 really put me off, even though I enjoy the game itself.

WW2 games - on the decrease, but waaay to common there a while back.

Games that take themselves too seriously. It's fun to throw a ridiculously powerful weapon in there.

Limited saves. If you're going to limit saves, make sure you put in a generous limit and DON'T delete old saves when there's more than ten without telling you!!! :mad:

Unlockable content. Someone mentioned this up there as well. You don't show all your cards in one go, but don't make it near impossible with 3/4 of the game held hostage.

Emphasis on achievements. That's an added bonus of a game for those who want it, not a core feature.

People in team games who are more interested in increasing their own score and not helping the team.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,438 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

thorbarry wrote: »
    MGS 4 anyone? God that was annoying, I actually gave up playing because i couldn't stand the cutscenes

You didn't miss anything. The game gets worse and the cutscenes longer and more retarded. It does a hell of a lot of things that I hate seeing in games.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,309 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Racial Stereotypes

rochelle-l4d.jpg

"Aks me a question!"

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Connavar

Limitless Re-spawning enemies in FPS.

This is what took away from COD 4 for me. I want to have the ability to clear an area with a sniper if I so wish. It was so bad in the harder difficulties that I just ran past areas to avoid the endless enemies.

Having to pay for map packs. Its ridiculous having to shell out more when I have already paid for the game. I was very disappointed when I saw this coming to the PC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

These are more about games in general, but

- I hate when developers don't put any effort into a single-player portion of a game because they just want to concentrate on the multiplayer side. Either put effort into it, or don't bother with it.

- Releasing unfinished games. Alpha Protocol could easily have been my game of the year if it wasn't rushed out with the AI practically unfinished. But the biggest culprit, for those who played it, was Ultima 9: Ascension which had to be seriously cut down and messed up because the publishers needed an early release.

- The "Rookie". Why do marines always give the new guy such a hard time when he's going to save the day? Do they never learn?

- Not having the Esc key bring up the main menu. I don't know why, but this drives me f*cking bonkers. I think it was Dawn of War that forced you to click on the menu button at the top of the screen.

- Developers assumptions that a brand name is all that is needed. I'm sure some developers/publishers deserve to be done for fraud by tricking people into buying games. Anyone who suffered Operation Flashpoint 2 knows exactly what I mean here. And leading on from that:

- Changing the sequel to a different type of game. Dawn of War 2 was a fun game, but it wasn't really anything to do with the first one, besides being set in the same universe.

- Tutorials that don't fully explain what you're meant to do. I was playing the old "Jack The Ripper" dos game a little while ago and in the tutorial it'll tell you to do something, but it doesn't always work and leaves you randomly clicking the screen hoping something will happen. There are more recent examples, but that one particularly got on my tits.

- Princess Peach has been kidnapped again? Well f*ck her!

- Bad voice acting. There really is no excuse for it.

- Having a good/evil choice of character development, but where evil is always a bad choice. The good guy gets discounts in shops, treats from NPC's and everyone loves them. The bad guy gets attacked constantly and nothing else.

- Metal Gear Solid 4 cutscenes. They should constitute a crime against humanity and script writing!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Evidence that the game has been dumbed down for consoles...

boxshot_uk_large.jpg

03/04 Never Forget.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,477 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Inventory size limits that are unreasonable - a lot of RPGs seem to have limited inventories these days. Now, I readily accept that it is quote realistic unquote to have such limitations in place. That doesn't mean it's fun. Also: I'm fighting giant mutants in a post apocalyptic wasteland with a mini nuke while I have radiation poisoning - realism doesn't necessarily come into it. If half my time is spent juggling inventories, it grows tedious (barring games where it's half the fun, such as dungeon crawlers full o'loot). But getting 'overburdened' can be irritating, particularly for someone who will hold onto pretty much every piece of loot I gather. Yeah, I mightn't ever use that giant axe, but I like having the option to use it should I want to, not having to sell it on to make room for another item. One aspect JRPGs more than certainly do get right over Western counterparts - I can carry every frickin' weapon I want!

Games without save options (i.e. relying on autosave) - it might just be me, but I get uber paranoid first time I exit an autosave game. If there isn't a clear 'save' option in the menu, I usually end up reloading my save game after the first time 'exit to main menu' just to ensure everything is fine and dandy.

Over-emphasis on co-op elements - I'm all for co-op options, but since I realistically play most games alone for the majority of the campaign, it does feel a bit unfair when the game suffers as a result. Dragon Quest IX and Peace Walker are two great games, but have elements clearly compromised in single player (such as the bosses in PW) for the benefit of co-op. Still great games, but you can tell the stress on co-op. Better to have a separate co-op option - Uncharted 2 or MW2 - or one that is basically invisible and filled in by AI, like Gears of War.

Pointless collectibles - because they're pointless.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

whiteman19 wrote: »
    games like Halo had no multiplayer AI and it really pissed me off. i'm forced to play better games like UT if i just want to mess around.

FYP :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Connavar wrote: »
    Limitless Re-spawning enemies in FPS.

+1. It takes away any skill or strategy, forcing you to run from checkpoint to checkpoint. Back in the Goldeneye days, I had a strategy for going through levels. Developing said strategy was part of the fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,780 ✭✭✭✭Penn

tman wrote: »
    Loading screens when you walk between areas

Started playing HL2 again today and I'm loving it apart from the way it jarringly breaks your sense of immersion every once in a while while it loads the next area:(

Mirrors Edge was terrible for this. A game based on the fact that you can free run using pretty much anything, with huge, crisp locations.... then you end up in an elevator for 2 minutes. Unreal.

One of my biggest hates is when you start the game with huge powers or items, then lose them after the first mission and have to start getting them all over again. Assassins Creed 1 and the God of War sequels especially

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Unpauseable cutscenes!

Unskipable cutscenes!

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Kxiii

Roman Belic

I hate the way as soon as a mission is over he rings.. ''Hi cousin wanna go do something'' I am doing something, its called playing they game. I do like playing to play mini games occasionally but not when the game tries to force you to play them and the punishes you for just wanting to get on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Unpauseable cutscenes!
    Unskipable cutscenes!

Uncutable scenepauseskips!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭ProjectColossus

I've just spent an hour at least failing a mission over and over again in GTAIV The Ballad of Gay Tony, requiring you to steal a helicopter and destroy some boats.

The controls on the PC don't f*cking work, and I accidently destroyed the chopper every single time. Worst of it is, I actually managed to beat the mission twice, and destroy the chopper trying to land the damn thing!

Gamer rage doesn't affect me normally, but this has me seriously annoyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Hercule

disable the mouse aim while flying and use wasd and the numpad to steer the helo in GTA4 PC - I know the very mission you are referring to - changed control scheme mid-air and never had problems since (alternately u cud plug in an xbox controller)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I use an xbox controller for flying helis in GTA. There's no other way to use them unforuntaely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Others posted here a lot of what would annoy me in games but another that's not been mentioned is some games where you cannot jump. I think it was Guild Wars (or some other such MMO) that annoyed me the most with this. I've grown up perfecting the art of rocket jumping - even if I'm not playing Quake and it is an MMO I'm playing, I still want to be able to jump around like a madman before I pick that herb or mine that ore, or kill you, regardless, let me jump whenever I want too ffs.

PlanetSide had it perfect though, every jump drained a little stamina so you couldn't go mad with jumping all over the place in a fight.
    My space bar on every keyboard has had worn area's around where my left thumb hits it, even if I do mostly just play Wow, I still have an awful habit of jumping. I can't play a game unless I can jump freely whenever I want too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭ProjectColossus

I have no access to a 360 controller at the moment, and I'm playing on my laptop so no real number pad either. Might have to borrow a keyboard from work :mad:

Are dodgy controls my fault? No. Are they Rockstars? Yes they bloody well are.

Another thing, why can't I have mid level quicksaves? I've always hated that about GTA. Especially when I've already failed once, why not let me save before the huge firefight or stupidly difficult car chase? Mid level checkpoints at least would be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

One thing that pisses me off about games is when you go to a door and you have to repeatedly press 'X' or something to open the door or swivel the analogue stick to open something. It adds nothing to the game at all.

Also achievement/trophy's that require you to do the same thing over and over and over and over again. FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Games that level up with you. Example is Oblivion. You could finish that game on level 1 or level 20 it didnt matter the enemies strength levelled with you. Same with fallout.

Id much rather know I cant go into a certain area because im too weak then come back a few hours later and be able to clean house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

Same with Fallout 3, the first two didn't have scaling and it was absolute bliss, hard at the start, getting easier at the end

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Connavar

joe123 wrote: »
    Games that level up with you. Example is Oblivion. You could finish that game on level 1 or level 20 it didnt matter the enemies strength levelled with you. Same with fallout.

Id much rather know I cant go into a certain area because im too weak then come back a few hours later and be able to clean house.
    This is good and bad really. When it levels with you it has much more replayability and things like running through boring "too easy" areas wont happen(at least not as much).
    It is also nice to go in and annihilate everyone sometimes though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Kxiii

Lens Flare really annoys me, it makes sense if your supposed to be looking through a camera like in replays of races. But not when its meant to be through a persons eyes(in car or in FPS). Its just annoying.

Advertisement