Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What you hate to see in a video game?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,780 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Nehaxak wrote: »
    Others posted here a lot of what would annoy me in games but another that's not been mentioned is some games where you cannot jump. I think it was Guild Wars (or some other such MMO) that annoyed me the most with this. I've grown up perfecting the art of rocket jumping - even if I'm not playing Quake and it is an MMO I'm playing, I still want to be able to jump around like a madman before I pick that herb or mine that ore, or kill you, regardless, let me jump whenever I want too ffs.

PlanetSide had it perfect though, every jump drained a little stamina so you couldn't go mad with jumping all over the place in a fight.
    My space bar on every keyboard has had worn area's around where my left thumb hits it, even if I do mostly just play Wow, I still have an awful habit of jumping. I can't play a game unless I can jump freely whenever I want too :)

I forgot about this, not being able to make small jumps.... in Batman Arkham Asylum. What? It's batman! Can't Batman jump up a little bit? Bloody hell I know you didn't really need it but still....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Getting stuck on geometry drives me mad. Recently an issue in Bad Company 2 where the character would periodically get caught on a step at the entrance to buildings - frustrating when your life depends on getting into cover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Another one that used to annoy me a little was the ability to turn vegetation on and off as you pleased.

"how the hell did you kill me ? I was hiding deep in bushes!"

"what bush ? Oh, ah, all us pro's have that stuff turned off so we can kill you noobs easier"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Kxiii wrote: »
    Roman Belic

I hate the way as soon as a mission is over he rings.. ''Hi cousin wanna go do something'' I am doing something, its called playing they game. I do like playing to play mini games occasionally but not when the game tries to force you to play them and the punishes you for just wanting to get on with it.

Ha, like in real life! If you agree to hang out with him, and then ring him straight back and cancel, you won't lose any points with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Redlion

Advertising.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Nehaxak wrote: »
    Another one that used to annoy me a little was the ability to turn vegetation on and off as you pleased.

"how the hell did you kill me ? I was hiding deep in bushes!"

"what bush ? Oh, ah, all us pro's have that stuff turned off so we can kill you noobs easier"

Turn the foliage off then. Such scalability is much appreciated by people with low-end systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Turn the foliage off then. Such scalability is much appreciated by people with low-end systems.

Yes, but, it would be better if they could include some low resource replacement for the better looking foliage; rather than encouraging everyone to degrade the visual quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

Inventory size limits that are unreasonable - a lot of RPGs seem to have limited inventories these days. Now, I readily accept that it is quote realistic unquote to have such limitations in place. That doesn't mean it's fun. Also: I'm fighting giant mutants in a post apocalyptic wasteland with a mini nuke while I have radiation poisoning - realism doesn't necessarily come into it. If half my time is spent juggling inventories, it grows tedious (barring games where it's half the fun, such as dungeon crawlers full o'loot). But getting 'overburdened' can be irritating, particularly for someone who will hold onto pretty much every piece of loot I gather. Yeah, I mightn't ever use that giant axe, but I like having the option to use it should I want to, not having to sell it on to make room for another item. One aspect JRPGs more than certainly do get right over Western counterparts - I can carry every frickin' weapon I want!

Yes, absolutely! This is why I gave up on Fallout 3 and the main thing that makes me want to turn Oblivion off sometimes. It's not remotely fun.

Something that bugs me is games with missable collectibles. Didn't find that obscure treasure chest in that town that got destroyed after your first visit? Well have fun collecting the remaining 99/100 special items for the rest of the game, knowing you can never have the full set. There should always be a way to collect everything no matter what happens, especially if there is an achievement or reward for it. Otherwise you end up having to use a guide, which is no fun at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

earning loads of money or points in a game with nothing really to buy with it. GTA4, assassins creed 2 and splinter cell conviction i am looking at you

• Registered Users Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

End of level bosses drive me nuts, totally ruins games. Although i dont mind them too much in games with monsters like Gears or resi evil etc i can understand that you will meet huge big creatures. But its games where you fight humans and you can kill all the other guys with one or two shots but this General at the end of a level takes 50 bullets to kill him is just retarded.

Also poor aiming systems, playing crackdown 2 at the moment it a ok game but the aiming system makes it terrible you could have 5 guys 10 feet away from you shooting at you. You hit the lock on aim button (as there is no other aiming option) and it locks onto your own car 100 feet behind them !! They just keep shooting you so you try to change target and it locks onto a guy 50 feet away that you cant hit. Then you die and the voice over slags you off for being rubbish :mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,438 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yeah I also hate terrible end of level bosses. If you can't do them properly then don't bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 lulz4success

Propelled explosives of any kind. No one likes them, stop putting them in my dam fps'ers.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,309 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Propelled explosives of any kind. No one likes them, stop putting them in my dam fps'ers.
    TF2-Soldier-I-have-a-rocket-launcher-Your-argument-is-invalid.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,438 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

My sentiments exactly. Rocket jumping for the mother****ing win! Just because CoD is too noob friendly to have decent rocket launchers doesn't mean they are crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

I hate guns in FPS's. And bullets. And anything that kills me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

• Registered Users Posts: 13,935 ✭✭✭✭briany

What I like to call "The surprise party". Take Dead Space for example, that cavernous room with the lever in the middle that will enact something that will be a major turn in the plot. I just know that a whole load of monsters aren't going to jump out at me the moment I turn it...../s. Same thing in Doom 3 with monsters teleporting in behind you. It's cheap and it's overdone. That said, if the programmer hangs this threat over your head but doesn't always enact it, it can become quite suspenseful and thrilling. Basic horror rules really.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

lol Briany, Resi 5 was a demon for that! Oh look! no-one's around; except for that big shiny thing on the floor at the other side of the area. Let's grab it. Hey where did all of you come from!

I think the correct term is monster closets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,309 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Global Agenda is awful for it with their Sandstorm update - their new open zone. I swear to god you'd kill something, stand where it died and wait for your powers to cooldown and before that had even happened the ****ing thing will respawn back on top of you and start firing missiles at you. And then you kill that one and miraculously another one spawns the instant you kill the first. My other favorite is it waits till you enter a named area before spawning the enemies in that area, so you fly in the gorge and suddenly 12 snipers spawn in a complete circle around you and instakill you. Retarded.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,611 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Skipping through this thread so I don't know if it has been mentioned yet, but it struck me whilst playing Starcraft 2 (don't worry there's no specific spoilers coming)...

Something that really grinds my gears is when the character you play through in a video game suddenly starts acting completely idiotically or like a douche because of <insert required plot point>, whether it's a mcGuffin or a woman or whatever. The game's writers are so ham-fisted they can't write anything other than a complete about-face by your character and fly in the face of common sense, just to propel their clumsy plot forward.

Of course you're not playing Deus Ex so you can't choose to walk away, shoot the other guy in the face, or make your character realise that "hey, you know what, this is clearly a massive trap I'm speechifying into & I'm ignoring all the previous warning signs" so all you can do is watch the cutscene through your fingers, as your character makes a massive blunder. God. It's such lazy writing & really breaks you out of the fiction.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

pixelburp care to elborate (with spolier tags for people who haven't played) on which parts in SC 2 you find the characters to preform said about face. I've already cleared the game so don't worry about runing anything for me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,611 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Azza wrote: »
    pixelburp care to elborate (with spolier tags for people who haven't played) on which parts in SC 2 you find the characters to preform said about face. I've already cleared the game so don't worry about runing anything for me.

Hmm, well admittedly I haven't finished the campaign yet, so it may all yet end up OK, but I'm just about to
    Land on Char after doing Mengsk Jnr's bidding. This whole sequence of events I thought was a complete about-turn by Raynor. One minute he's pointing a gun at Valerian, fair enough, the Dominion have it coming. Next, one vague promise later about changing Kerrigan back, he's working for him. And that's all despite getting clear, unambiguous warnings from Zeratul - who he can trust - that Kerrigan's the key in saving the Galaxy. We then get a very convoluted set of fights between Raynor & everyone else who actually have their heads screwed on striaght. Raynor's clearly gonna get double crossed & it all just stinks of plot progression, or ending the game on a big cliffhanger.

If I'm honest, most of the writing & dialogue so far in SC2 has been pretty dire, so it doesn't surprise that the plot just pings about the place when required.

To be fair, it's not just starcraft that does this though - Singularity was one of the more recent games that had the character I was playing do some really stupid things, where - were I playing - would never have been done. But control gets taken over and I have to watch "myself" do all this in a cutscene.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

briany wrote: »
    What I like to call "The surprise party". Take Dead Space for example, that cavernous room with the lever in the middle that will enact something that will be a major turn in the plot. I just know that a whole load of monsters aren't going to jump out at me the moment I turn it...../s. Same thing in Doom 3 with monsters teleporting in behind you. It's cheap and it's overdone. That said, if the programmer hangs this threat over your head but doesn't always enact it, it can become quite suspenseful and thrilling. Basic horror rules really.
    I remember making a level for Half-Life that had a room like that. Before it, I put a room full of health and armour replenishers, and all the best weapons with loads of ammo (so the player knows something was up). Then they enter this huge room with a single button in the centre of it.

The guys I got playing it would skirt around the room, knowing something would happen if they touched the button, so they were trying to do anything but touch the button. When they finally pressed it they got the message, "You find a note saying 'Gone to lunch.'"

Ah, the look of disappointment on their little faces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 DeaPGalaxy

TBH I just hate all the souless shooters ripping off on Halo's and COD's success, every second game is an FPS. Whilst they can be good, none of these games are innovative! They can have state of the art graphics, robust online and any gun you could ever want, but so does every other FPS! I'm not hating on FPSs but I just want games to try and be creative!

Other than that there's nothing really I hate in games as it depends on the game; some need voice acting, some don't; some need a 40 hour single player, some don't etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Connavar

DeaPGalaxy wrote: »
    TBH I just hate all the souless shooters ripping off on Halo's and COD's success
    This sentence is wrong.
    EDIT: Sorry Just actually read it properly(i blanked the success part for some reason)

Advertisement