Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Website design tool for an idiot

Options
  • 02-08-2010 3:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭

Hello all,
    I was having a site professionally designed, but it isnt working out. It doesnt render properly on firefox or explorer and looks half assed tbh.

Is there a tool out there that could enable me to build one myself, basically a professional looking brochure site thae could have the HTML code of a shop pasted into it.

Any help would be great!!!

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭peejay1986

I don't mean to sound rude but do you not think that if there was such a solution then the company you employed to design the site wouldve used it?

You can get template sites that look 'professional' to some people but anyone with knowledge will quickly spot it is not.

There are also many websites/software that allow you to build your own site. This could be something that you could attempt but they are mostly limited in what you can do.

I suggest finding another designer and discussing your past problems with them. Tell them exactly what you want and ask if they can do it.

Don't let one bad experience force you in to a dangerous route. People don't take on building their own houses simply because they find a cowboy builder. They hire someone reputable with a proven track record.

Best of luck with whatever solution you go for. Again, sorry if I come across harsh in this reply but just trying to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Find a more professional design shop and start over.
    Is there a tool out there that could enable me to build one myself, basically a professional looking brochure site thae could have the HTML code of a shop pasted into it.

No. There's a reason why people have been doing this as their profession. You're effectively asking if there's any need for the profession if there's a tool that a beginner can use that would do as good a job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

If there was one, probably this forum section wouldn't exist....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Were you shown an initial image of what the finished site would look like?

If so, and you liked it, maybe you could pass this image onto someone else to convert into a site that works in Firefox and IE. If this was a custom design, you would have to pay the company some money.

Of course, it may be better to drop them completely if you do not have a good relationship with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

Try wordpress? its easy. Joomla takes more learning but could be used as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭WillyWonkaBar

YouTube, Google, Patience, Time and Templates :)

Its a start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

YouTube, Google, Patience, Time and Templates :)

Its a start.

Research and expertise are also useful, but that's for those who are prepared to acknowledge the validity of web design as a profession, and value it accordingly, something which is sadly lacking in most people's view of "build me a website for free / for €100 that works well cross-browser, registers well in search engines, and is easy to update and maintain.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭mattfinucane

Idiots shouldn't be designing websites. You will need the help of a professional.

Idiots shouldn't be designing websites. You will need the help of a professional.

Bit Harsh.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

This book would disagree:

517%2Bk-UhyUL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

There are two camps here OP, those who believe you can go it alone and those (the professionals) who believe you can only hire a professional. Look into Wordpress, it has helped many an idiot build a website.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Seriously, wordpress. It's amazing. Just go play with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Bit Harsh.
    I'm guessing he gong by the thread title

"Web design tool for an idiot" :)

didnt see the title, Im such an idiot!..

Wordpress is probably the easiest way

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭mattfinucane

I was going by the thread title and never meant to imply that the original poster was an idiot :)

But seriously, if you are building a site for your business, hire the help of a competent professional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 paynoxs

Hi, Dont give up - Try Joomla - Its a bit of a steep learning curve - But with some perseverance you will get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Hello all,
    I was having a site professionally designed, but it isnt working out. It doesnt render properly on firefox or explorer and looks half assed tbh.
    If it was that easy you're designer would have done it right the first time. I'd suggest hiring a better designer/company to do the job right next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

Ignore the 50/50 crowd here and ask yourself - what is it you are trying to do with your website, what message you are trying to convey, and what features do you really need?

Then decide if it is worth sinking a few hundred quid into or if you would be better of just putting up a pre-designed template website until you have enough funding to pay a professional.

Then SHOP AROUND. I can't stress this enough. In my area a basic website goes for between €50-€10,000 depending on who you ring. On one end you have cowboys, the other, greedy companies which have no problem over charging for a basic five page site.

Look for something in the middle you can afford, when you can afford it.

Advertisement