Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Race for Fourth

• 02-08-2010 3:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭

Last season we saw Tottenham get off to a storming start to eventually win a hard fought battle to land fourth place thanks to a £30 million pound splurge by Redknapp and no European distractions. But this season with European competition whether that is Europa league or Champions league it has yet to be determined we could struggle to match last years form and Keeping key players such as Modric(4 months out last season) & Lennon(5 months out) will be king to grabbing that fourth place again this season.

This summer Man City have splashed the cash to bring in a number of high profile and top class players with the happy problem of not knowing which players to include in its 25 man squad were talented players like Ireland and Bellamy might not make the cut.

Villa have had a relatively quiet summer with Milner the subject of a large transfer bid from City which could see the transfer merry go round begin if they match villa's valuation. The key to success this season is improving their home form and maintaining their away form.

Liverpool have signed Joe Cole and Jovanovic who will look to be key players this season and hope that Hodgsen can improve the form of some players gerrard ngog and Babel namely to propel them back into the champions league and if they can keep Torres fit they surely have a superb chance.

Everton with European distractions struggled in the opening months of the season but in from January only Chelsea and Utd were able to surpass them in the table and they will hope with the same squad, a bit of luck injuries wise and no European distractions they will be primed to challange at least for fourth place.

So who will Grab fourth or will someone grab a higher place? For once at least there is no one team that can claim there are no players from the other teams that would not improve their first team.

*Arsenal ommitted but subject to fabergas staying no Atari Jaguar because I didn't want to distort the Poll.

Poll is open untill september 2nd if anyone wants to wait until after the window and the 25 man squads are named

Who will Finnish fourth this season 91 votes

Spurs
    0% 0 votes
    City
    10% 10 votes
    Villa
    39% 36 votes
    Liverpool
    4% 4 votes
    Everton
    32% 30 votes
    Other
    12% 11 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The idea of a 'race' for fourth place would be comical if it weren't such a tragic reality.

Spurs to finish there again after failing to qualify for the CL proper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

The idea of a 'race' for fourth place would be comical if it weren't such a tragic reality.

It is a tradgedy but the reality is without champions league football it is near impossible to attract the callibre of player that can help you win the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

It's City's to lose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Might be better to do this poll closer to the end of the transfer window.

If I had to give my best guess based on current squads, then it would be Man City or Arsenal for the fourth place spot, with the other getting the third place spot.

But that guess could change if the likes of Liverpool bring in some quality in the right positions before the window ends.

Really shows the modern game up for the cash cow it is, when people can talk about fourth place as if it is some worthy achievement though.

Of the available options in the poll, I have voted for other as I think Arsenal will be fourth. Based on the squads as they stand today of course. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

I think it'll be Arsenal or Man City battling for 4th with Spurs as darkhorses. Even with each side adding a couple of players beforer the end of the window, i don't see Villa, Pool or Everton having sufficient squad depth and quality to compete over the course of a full season for 4th.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

No Arsenal?

I voted City but I think they'll finish 3rd, Arsenal 4th

(Liverpool 5th :()

Edit: I'm an idiot, just noticed the 'Other' option now :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Xavi6 wrote: »
    It's City's to lose

How is it when the season hasn't even started yet?

City could completely flop altogether, for all we know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

baz2009 wrote: »

Could, but probably won't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

If Fabregas leaves, I firmly believe that Arsenal could easily be in a fight for third place. Beyond that, if Rooney got a season-long injury, I think United could easily be caught too.

That said...

City are the obvious choices here. City have all the players, but have yet to show whether they have the team. Will it be balanced? Will they work together? Will there be harmony in the camp? Last year, Liverpool suffered because the answers to those questions were no. If any of Spurs, City or Liverpool find form, I think that they have broadly similar squads, with Spurs being the worst. However, I thought that was the same last year also, and look what happened.

Harry has not splashed out this season, which is impressive considering the options out there, because he wants to add correctly, and keep and build from last year.

However, Gerrard and Torres together if they re-link are better than anything City or Spurs have, and all it takes is two great players performing to put away the vast majority of the PL.

I think no matter what, the points tally required will be much higher this season than last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

It's a bit early to be writing off their qualification chnaces when you dont even know who they are playing.

• Advertisement

baz2009 wrote: »

And that's exactly why it's theirs to lose.

If they don't flop then they will get 4th. If they do flop then someone else will.

It's the best squad player for player.

It is a tradgedy but the reality is without champions league football it is near impossible to attract the callibre of player that can help you win the league.

It's surely the most illogical thing ever - you need to succeed in the Champions League in order to become a Champion :confused:

How badly does a league's representatives have to perform in order to lose a CL place, and has it ever happened? I think Italy were supposed to lose one, but Inter might have saved them.
    It's a bit early to be writing off their qualification chnaces when you dont even know who they are playing.

It's a bit early to be predicting fourth place when the league hasn't even started yet, but that's what this thread is about, no? :confused:

It's surely the most illogical thing ever - you need to succeed in the Champions League in order to become a Champion :confused:

How badly does a league's representatives have to perform in order to lose a CL place, and has it ever happened? I think Italy were supposed to lose one, but Inter might have saved them.
    Ya last year whoever won the Final got the extra place England should be fine for a good while as the clubs have excelled in the champions league for a good while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Chelsea
    Man C
    Arsenal

So, Liverpool, Man U, Spurs et al for fourth.

Ya last year whoever won the Final got the extra place England should be fine for a good while as the clubs have excelled in the champions league for a good while.

So did Germany lose a place? Pity, as they seem to be improving overall.

So did Germany lose a place? Pity, as they seem to be improving overall.
    No Germany always had3 places in recent history

This seems to say the opposite but it also seems to be predicting the future...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

It's a bit early to be predicting fourth place when the league hasn't even started yet, but that's what this thread is about, no? :confused:

I agree it's too early but predicting 4th is judging how a team will perform over 38 games. You're writing off Spurs CL chances over a two legged tie when their opponents are'nt even known yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

No offence OP but the 'Finnish' thing in the poll is kind of annoying me; any chance of it being changed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Chelsea
    Man C
    Arsenal

So, Liverpool, Man U, Spurs et al for fourth.

Have been thinking the same thing myself with Man U possibly swapping with City.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,859 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Man City or Arsenal for 4th imo

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Im looking forward to seeing City play, as said its theirs to lose.

But heart says Liverpool for fourth.
    cson wrote: »
    No offence OP but the 'Finnish' thing in the poll is kind of annoying me; any chance of it being changed?

:confused:
    Just stop reading it over and over then..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

I think chelsea will win the league with city, utd, arsenal and liverpool battling it out for the other 3 places, they could finish in any order after chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Everton look the most dependable of that lot.

Keeping a hold of Jagielka will be very important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,026 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Impossible to predict the order of the top four this season.

Chelsea obviously have to be favourites, United can never be ruled out. City have spent a fortune and if they get it together from the start they will be hard to stop. Arsenal have loosened the purse strings and they are capable of winning the thing too. Liverpool have added some nice players to their squad too, Tottenham improved so much last year that you can't rule them out of a top 4 spot. Aston Villa have an excellent squad too and are being overlooked which is madness imo. Everton with a full squad are capable of a really good run too, I'm not so sure about them because of the important players who have been injury prone over the last while but if they have a relatively injury free season they are well capable of making the CL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,522 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Don't Germany have 4 places this year becasue Munich got to the final?

Or did I dream that in the run-up to the CL final?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

aiming for 6th for liverpool as a realistic expectation...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,379 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Feck me, this place must really rock if we are talking about the team who will finish 4th in a season that is still a twinkle in the milkmans eye

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Optimistic but I think Everton can give it a real go this season. We need to make Goodison into a fortress like we did in the second half of last season and we'll probably need to take 4 points of our neighbours for a change too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

3rd: Arsenal.
    4th: Liverpool.

slightly optimistic, and it's based on Torres hopefully being fit for most of the season, and Cole hitting the ground running, in turn getting Gerrard interested and on his game.

i don't rate Mancini, and i think his caution could cost City 4th.

i think Europe will distract Spurs, especially if they get to the Champions League group stage.

Everton will be close if key players stay fit.

i don't think Villa will get that close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,153 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

aiming for 6th for liverpool as a realistic expectation...

A team with Torres, Gerrard, Reina, Cole, Agger, Johnson, Aquilani and close to 25mill to spend on Masch's replacement should never have just 6th as a realistic expectation...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    A team with Torres, Gerrard, Reina, Cole, Agger, Johnson, Aquilani and close to 25mill to spend on Masch's replacement should never have just 6th as a realistic expectation...

youre right

7th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

I think it will be between Arsenal, City and Spurs for 3rd and 4th. It seems that most people are writing off Spurs' chances just like in the poll last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Chelsea
    City
    United
    Arsenal
    Liverpool
    Spurs
    That's my top six but could well change depending on possible investment at Anfield or likely fire sale of top players continuing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

Chelsea
    Man United
    Arsenal
    City
    Spurs
    Liverpool

That's my top 6.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Germany has three places like they had before. Germany was on the brink of getting the fourth spot back from Italy if you like had the champions league final gone the other way.

~Rebel~ wrote: »

I didn't realize agger Johnson and that aqui guy had been promoted to noteworthy

edit: ok noteworthy might be a bit harsh let's replace it with heavyweights

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Have to say Spurs. Can't see Man City getting into the Top 4 although they have a better chance than Liverpool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

3rd: Citeh
    4th: Arsenal
    5th: Liverpool
    6th: Everton
    7th: Spurs
    8th: Villa

I think City will be very strong this year, especially if they strengthen at centre back. They'll need to be less defensive though. If Liverpool lose Mascherano, they'll be severely weakened on last season, (and that didn't go at all well) but I suppose it depends on the replacement. I think Everton will surprise a lot of people. If they can keep people fit like Arteta, Fellaini, Jagielka I think they'll come close to top 6. I think Villa will slip down again the league again, especially if they lose Milner - they can't keep selling their better players every Summer. I don't think O' Neill is half as good as the medi will have you think Playing in Europe will definitely hit Spurs and their squad hard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭frantic190

I can see Arsenal finishing 4th, defensive problems haven't been sorted out from what I have seen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

There's still plenty of time left for transfers but I'm amazed at the slowness of Arsenal, Chelsea and United in making new signings. United definitely need a new CM, arguably a striker too. Arsenal are weak at the back and could still lose Fabregas as well as needing a new goalkeeper.

This could easily see any of the regular top 3 teams well off the pace and battling for fourth too.

I think all this is way too simple. How a season goes for you depends on a lot of factors not just what new AM you're going to sign. I think it's Chelsea who's going to be in the top three almost garanteed simply on the strength of their squad and being holders and staying together for the most part. United the same. After that god only knows. Good few teams who could either have a stormer or a stinker of a season. Meaning title is not impossible for Arsenal, Pool or City but also 7th.

Utd and Chelsea's first teams and squads are ahead of the others; significantly too IMO.

so unless all the ones below them make huge strides, there's no danger of them struggling to keep pace.

Arsenal's problem is at the back potentially (if Koncielny doesn't hit the ground running and they don't get another CB in), as well as their problem at keeper. their inexperience could also cost them; seen by the amount of goals they seemed to let in in latter stages. that could, COULD, see them slide back, maybe.

the only other realistic possibility of getting the top 2 off the top, IMO, is City's globetrotters gelling nice and quickly and hitting the ground running.

I have a feeling Liverpool will surprise everybody including their own fans here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

SlickRic wrote: »
    Utd and Chelsea's first teams and squads are ahead of the others; significantly too IMO.

A bad injury to Rooney and I'd see United struggling.

No way. Rooney is big but United is a lot more than just Rooney.

you can pick out the stars in any team and say they'd struggle without them. that's why they're the star players.

fact is, Utd and Chelsea have squads to handle injury crises a lot better than those around them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

SlickRic wrote: »
    you can pick out the stars in any team and say they'd struggle without them. that's why they're the star players.

fact is, Utd and Chelsea have squads to handle injury crises a lot better than those around them.

So much pressure at City, a few bad results and it will get worse. If they aren't performing by Christmas, Mancini is gone. A new manager probably won't improve anything. City have no balance, they are just going for most of the top players that are available. Toure and Lescott are average defenders and unless they improve that then they will struggle IMO.

Lukker- wrote: »
    So much pressure at City, a few bad results and it will get worse. If they aren't performing by Christmas, Mancini is gone. A new manager probably won't improve anything. City have no balance, they are just going for most of the top players that are available. Toure and Lescott are average defenders and unless they improve that then they will struggle IMO.

Please expand.

Going by the poll there are a lot of delusional/faithful Liverpool fans about. I'm not sure which it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Please expand.

I'd temper the statement with, there is no indication yet that City will have balance. They might have the players to work it, but it's going to be up to the manager to make it happen. They haven't found it yet. Players don't make a team alone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement