Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

min LTV mortgage

Options
  • 02-08-2010 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭

This was news to me that there is a min LTV loan that the banks will give which seems to be 50%. So i'm curious about the situation where someone has, say, 75% of the price of the house in cash and only needs 25% as the mortgage. OK that's fine you could still go for the 50% mortgage and keep the cash in the bank. But is there anything to stop you, say 1 month later, using the cash to pay off half of the mortgage so you're effectively left with a mortgage for 25% of the property?
    Does that make sense?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

delux wrote: »
    This was news to me that there is a min LTV loan that the banks will give which seems to be 50%. So i'm curious about the situation where someone has, say, 75% of the price of the house in cash and only needs 25% as the mortgage. OK that's fine you could still go for the 50% mortgage and keep the cash in the bank. But is there anything to stop you, say 1 month later, using the cash to pay off half of the mortgage so you're effectively left with a mortgage for 25% of the property?
    Does that make sense?

I dont see any reason why not.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Depends on the mortgage types. Often there is a break clause- where if you pay off the mortgage (or a portion of it) earlier than sanctioned- you are liable for a particular percentage of the interest that the lending institution might have earned on that part of the mortgage, had it not been repaid early.

It used be the case that an unsanctioned repayment of a mortgage cost 25% of the 5 year compounded interest on the o/s balance, prior to the repayment (you get the picture). You really need to ask around and check out the fine print.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭delux

ok thanks, that makes sense.
    I knew there had to be some penalty but didnt think of that clause.

Advertisement