Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I start saving for the 1055T now or wait for more info about Bulldozer?

Options
  • 02-08-2010 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭

So, what should I do?

I was thinking of waiting for more info about Bulldozer, and then possibly waiting until it was released for a 1055T price drop (or even a 1090T price drop if it goes down far enough), what do you think I should do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

So, what should I do?

I was thinking of waiting for more info about Bulldozer, and then possibly waiting until it was released for a 1055T price drop (or even a 1090T price drop if it goes down far enough), what do you think I should do?

save you money.

You can sit pretty on your tri/quad, performance will play you any game going just fine. Twill do you multimedia for the time being.

Then wait to see how things settle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

Actually, it's a Dual, turned into a very warm (guessing from TMPIN2/TMP3) Quad core that the motherboard doesn't want to unlock sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Actually, it's a Dual, turned into a very warm (guessing from TMPIN2/TMP3) Quad core that the motherboard doesn't want to unlock sometimes.

Ouch, that changes things so!

See how long you can squeeze out of the dualie so.

Any game you can't play? If not, bide your time and snag a quad second hand.

Or you wait for price drops :-(

uberpixie wrote: »
    Ouch, that changes things so!

See how long you can squeeze out of the dualie so.

Any game you can't play? If not, bide your time and snag a quad second hand.

Or you wait for price drops :-(

Well, I unlocked my 550 into a B50, OC'd to 3.4, and it does me fine for now, but I am starting to do a lot of DVD ripping and Video Encoding, so it'd really help me.

I think I shall wait for a price drop to get it :)

Forgot to add, there isn't a game me, my B50 and my 5830 have come across that we can't play yet :)

But I would like to be able to encode video's faster and have a very OC'able CPU (from reviews it seems most people can get their's to 4/4.2)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,259 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I bought the 1055T, its nice. But, I also wasn't upgrading, I was building. If I was sitting on a multicore already, I probably would have been more hesitant. Still I think it was good value. Idles 29C Peaks about 40c and thats stock settings stock cooler. Reportedly safe to overclock to 4.0 on the stock cooler.

Whats this bulldozer?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Can you save for the 1055T while waiting until bulldozer is announced and decide then?
    It really depends on how desperately you need it. It's a substantial upgrade and there's no new processors I heard of that are on the immediate horizon, so prices won't fall by much. On the other hand, if you're happy with your game performance it really falls on how much video encoding you do.
    Has ATI's GPU encoder improved any bit since it was released?
    Overheal wrote: »

Whats this bulldozer?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amd_bulldozer

i.e., the next generation in AMD's line. Rumour has it that it will be the first step towards a hardware implementation of fusion.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Monotype wrote: »
    Can you save for the 1055T while waiting until bulldozer is announced and decide then?
    It really depends on how desperately you need it. It's a substantial upgrade and there's no new processors I heard of that are on the immediate horizon, so prices won't fall by much. On the other hand, if you're happy with your game performance it really falls on how much video encoding you do.
    Has ATI's GPU encoder improved any bit since it was released?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amd_bulldozer

i.e., the next generation in AMD's line. Rumour has it that it will be the first step towards a hardware implementation of fusion.

Bulldozer is the next generation microprocessor architecture. Llano is the integrated CPU/GPU (APU) chip that is on the way but will be largely based around the current microprocessor architecture AFAIK.

I think there probably was a more ambitious plan originally, but this is the current course for AMD. I would presume that "Bulldozer" based APUs may be on the cards for 2012 or thereabouts.

Nice article from anandtech late last year on AMDs server, desktop and mobile roadmaps http://www.anandtech.com/show/2871/2

I most certainly can wait until BD info is revealed, I think I shall possibly even wait until it's released, depending on if the 1055T sees a price drop beforehand or if Bulldozer uses AM3.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

I most certainly can wait until BD info is revealed, I think I shall possibly even wait until it's released, depending on if the 1055T sees a price drop beforehand or if Bulldozer uses AM3.

It will use a modified AM3 (called AM3r2 or something like that) socket, as they are also working on the new 990 chipset nobody appears to be 100% certain if it will be backwards compatible with current AM3 boards and nothing has been confirmed either way.

But give the history of AMDs sockets I am sure they will do everything possible to make it so.

I was reading somewhere last week that more details on Bulldozer are due at some conference that is taking place around the around the 23-24th of August so there may well be more info by the end of the month. Will try find the link later.

EDIT: Here we are http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20100622123052_AMD_to_Disclose_Details_About_Bulldozer_Micro_Architecture_in_August.html

• Advertisement

Sweet :)

If it's incompatible or has disadvantages of using 'em with AM3, I can at least be happy that I can get a 1055T for less than 200.

Advertisement