Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Query regarding another boards user using my computer

Options
  • 02-08-2010 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭

I have a few friends coming to stay with me over the next few months. Some of them may have a boards account as well.

Would I be better off asking them not to access Boards.ie on my computer? I am afraid of being banned if it could be seen as a second account.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

My understanding is that more than one person can access boards from the same computer as identified by having the same IP address. This often happens from Internet Cafes that rent computers to customers, or from wifi hotspots that use the same wifi router to access the net.

The prohibition that occurs is when someone is banned from a boards forum or the site, and then registers a new user name to get around the ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

No problem whatsoever, as long as there is no problem.:)

If you have more than one person in the household (as I do) that uses Boards.ie via the same router, they are all going to show up with the same IP address. So it's not a problem.

It's when people start getting infractions and bans that things start getting messy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Thanks for your help. I appreciate it.:)

Advertisement