Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Living in Donegal & Working in Northern Ireland?

• 02-08-2010 4:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭

Due to a lack of jobs here i have found more job opportunities in Derry, so im seriously considering working there.

I am wondering, if i live here in Donegal but work in Derry is there anything I need to be aware of?

Say i need (in the future) to claim job seekers benefit based on my stamps accrued, will i be able to claim off the national insurance in the North i will have paid to get this? Are any other benefits affected by this, if so, how?

Also can i legally own a northern reg car if i'm working in Derry but living here?

Do i pay income tax at the UK rate only?

Do i pay national insurance at the UK rate only or do i have to pay PRSI contribution as well as?

Lots of questions guys, apologies lol

Your help would be much appreciated?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

If your working in Northern Ireland it is a foreign country
    re social welfare if you become unemployed you can get social welfare based on stamps earned while working in NI
    your car needs to be taxed and insured based on the country your living in your living in ROI so it needs to be taxed and insured accordingly
    If you are an employee of a company in NI then you will pay tax on wages based on their tax system only and national insurance on the NI rate only
    you will also need to apply for a national insurance number
    http://www.borderpeople.info/index/live/browse/browse-detail.htm?objId=4483
    have a look at the website above it can give you most of the details your looking for
    re taxing your car
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/travel-and-recreation/motoring-1/motor-tax-and-insurance/motor_tax_rates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Bomany

If you work in N.Ireland you pay tax at source to UK. You do not have a tax liability in South due to Dual Tax agreement. One benefit you are entitled to is a Free Medical Card in the South if you work in N.I. and live in the Republic. This is due to an EU statute. However, if you have wife and kids they are not entitled to it - only you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Bomany wrote: »
    If you work in N.Ireland you pay tax at source to UK. You do not have a tax liability in South due to Dual Tax agreement.
    Thats not the case here where the OP says he is living in Donegal. You pay tax/social insurance based on your residency. So if he is living in Donegal but is working in Derry (as many in that part of the world do) then he is taxed and pays PRSI to the Republic. Its nothing new as employers up North will be used to dealing with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Bomany

kn wrote: »
    Thats not the case here where the OP says he is living in Donegal. You pay tax/social insurance based on your residency. So if he is living in Donegal but is working in Derry (as many in that part of the world do) then he is taxed and pays PRSI to the Republic. Its nothing new as employers up North will be used to dealing with it.

Not the case. I speak from personal experience as I live in Donegal and work in the North. Have done for 13 years. You pay tax etc in North. You do not pay tax or PRSI in the south.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Bomany is right,you would pay tax and stamps to inland revenue and your not liable to pay in the south.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

OP Avoid any temporary positions in the North. I did 2 months though an agency (in the North) to cover sick leave. I had countless phone conversations with the Inland Revenue as I was loosing more than half the money on emergancy tax as I had no National Insurance number. Inland revenue refused to issue me one on temporary employment and refused to process any claim for a refund without one. I never got the money :mad:

Advertisement