Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Break-in - St Vincent de Paul Curiosity Shop

Options
  • 02-08-2010 4:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭

I witnessed 2 guys who had broken into the St Vincent de Paul shop on Merchants Road leaving today. This occurred about 11.30am, broad daylight and they left in no great hurry (they didn't appear to have anything on them, unless they took things small enough to pocket).
    There were other people round, but no-one else seemed bothered or noticed the shop alarm going off.
    I called Mill St Garda, got the best physical description & location to them that I could, but I ran out of credit and my phone cut out so I continued to work, as by the time I topped up I'd have lost them - they were swapping clothes and cutting down sidestreets to avoid detection.
    They were a pretty distinctive looking pair,and I got a really good look (they left the shop just as I approached the doorway), so if the mods permit it, I can add a full physical description to this post?, to allow anyone who spots them to call the Garda.
    You have to be some scum to break into a charity shop :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

If you give a description that lead to the wrong people getting hassled without cause it could let to trouble for boards so I think we'll leave it to the Garda for now.

Fair playing for alerting the Garda! It's a very scummy thing to do to steal from a charity shop.

Anyone interested in the pair can still PM the OP for details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭steel_spine

That's grand biko, I see your point, though I very much doubt these 2 could be mistaken for a number of reasons. If you think you saw em but aren't sure or want to keep an eye out, PM me and I'll give you a solid description of them - might be worth it if they're seen round town over the next couple of days.

Hopefully the gardai nabbed them this morning tho - I could have stomped on my phone for cutting out on me :( But I guess Mill St have caller ID, they could have phoned me back if they wanted to I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭DOTHEDOG

thats proper scum robbing from the poor ya might as well say,them too should be caught and made a right example of..tie them to a pole with a sign around them saying "we robbed a charity shop"...

TBH if i were in your shoes i would of least got a hold of one of them and do what the public would want to do :mad:

DOTHEDOG wrote: »
    TBH if i were in your shoes i would of least got a hold of one of them and do what the public would want to do :mad:

That would have been nice, but I'm 5foot feck all, female, walk to work by myself, and the public around didn't seem to see/give a shit, let alone be relied on for aid. Wasn't going to tackle two filthy junkie-ish rough looking lads on my own. Gardai are trained for that, they got the best description I could give with little time and an approximate location.

That would have been nice, but I'm 5foot feck all, female, walk to work by myself, and the public around didn't seem to see/give a shit, let alone be relied on for aid. Wasn't going to tackle two filthy junkie-ish rough looking lads on my own. Gardai are trained for that, they got the best description I could give with little time and an approximate location.

oh rite sorry i thought you were a bloke...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

A garda was spotted running down Shop St in the direction of Spanish Arch at about 11:45, and several garda cars headed in the same direction a few minutes later. 'Tis just possible that they were after your culprits.

JustMary wrote: »
    A garda was spotted running down Shop St in the direction of Spanish Arch at about 11:45, and several garda cars headed in the same direction a few minutes later. 'Tis just possible that they were after your culprits.

good i hope they were caught

• Registered Users Posts: 31,898 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I really hope they get caught. Well done steel_spine, you did the right thing!

I hope that was them JustMary.
    I suppose it's a bit of a blessing the shop closes for race week - there'd have been no money in the place I imagine and probably nothing of value.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I thought you could call emergency services without credit

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Wompa1 wrote: »
    I thought you could call emergency services without credit

That's if you dial 112. Im assuming the OP rang a local police station, which is usually just a regular landline number.

Archimedes wrote: »
    That's if you dial 112. Im assuming the OP rang a local police station, which is usually just a regular landline number.

Yeah I rang Mill St, I figured it would be faster since they're just down the road, and it didn't seem an emergency as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 mybabydoll

when i Come to think of it i heard alot of sirens outside work today as iff the gardai had pulled up outside the hotel so they must have caught them, hopefully tey did cos its so low to steal from a charity shop!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

When I read the thread title I thought I was in AH..
    Thats a new low for Galway, robbing a charity shop. you were right OP for reporting it, Challenging them could have been a bad idea...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Commendations for steel spines vigilance. A user name well earned! :)

Advertisement